What Can We Get For Ronald Leary? Other Cowboys?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Based on the OP you didn't understand that.

My thinking is that because teams know we have the right to tender Leary next season, they know if they want him now to help their team this season, they have to trade for him or give us a 4th to 3rd to entice us to trade him. This of course if they are not offering us a starting quality player to help us now in return.

Remember, this is originally Gil Brandt's idea in his article.

Are we under the impression that he doesn't understand RFA? Obviously not.
We're obviously aren't going to lose any sleep over this, lol!
But I'm trying to understand what I could have said to give the impression that I don't understand RFA?

I'm the one who brought it up in the OP.

Ah ok, because I said they probably would not offer him a contract. When all they would have to do is tender if they wanted to keep him. Yes, I shouldn't have coupled contract and RFA together. OK, makes sense why now. Answered my own question. Fair enough. Thanks again.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see an RFA for an RFA

Sure, but the probability of that happening seems very low.

Teams only have a few valuable RFAs per year and the team that needed/wanted Leary would have to just happen to have a valuable RFA at a position the Cowboys needed in order to make that work.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Why trade our depth? Besides even on the tender he is still cheap and if someone does try and offer we get a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't try and trade him. I read that article and after they had the Broncos making a trade for Vernon and Forte it lost all credibility as an article.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I was reading an article regarding hypothetical trades on nfl.com which I linked below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...to-broncos-among-trades-that-would-make-sense

Ronald Leary's name comes up as one of the possible trades.

That made me think about the possibilities of trading Leary and what we could get player wise?

Leary to my understanding would be a restricted FA next season and since we have La'el Collins now starting at LG, clearly the future at the position, we probably would not make an offer to Leary since he would want a starters contract and rightfully so.

So it's probably best we get something for him while we might still be able to.

What do you think we can get for him and what team would we make the trade with?

What about other players like Barry Church? Apparently Byron Jones might be moving to safety soon.

What half held this team back for many years is our reluctancy to move players while they still half talents to contribute. also, we half been reluctant to move players because . . . well, we like them. It is an old saw that we half to offer players of value to get players of value. Do not just offer a old players who half run out of steam or a marginal player who just half not panned out because rarely will we get something in value back.

holla

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I would say the probability of him being traded during the season is very near zero. They have to protect the QB and Leary is a much better backup OG than Bern.

Obviously the biggest issue for a team that might want to trade for him is that they would have to give him an contract after the 1 year tender. Well managed teams normally don't give up draft picks for players that also require a new contract. It's normally better to use the draft pick in the draft or to use the money on a free agent but not both on the same player.

Yeah he's not going anywhere this season. I doubt he's traded next season either for the reasons laid out. His value to the Cowboys next season will be more than what I think other teams would surrender in a trade. If I had to make a prediction at this point it would be he's the b/u OG next season and then leaves in 2017.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure, but the probability of that happening seems very low.

Teams only have a few valuable RFAs per year and the team that needed/wanted Leary would have to just happen to have a valuable RFA at a position the Cowboys needed in order to make that work.
Just looked up the list and its pretty barron. The only real names of not are Larry Donnells, Khiry Robinson and CJ Anderson and none worth Leary. Anderson may have been at the beginning of the season, but definitely not now. He's crashed to earth hard. Wouldnt even be surprised if he got low tendered

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thinking is that because teams know we have the right to tender Leary next season, they know if they want him now to help their team this season, they have to trade for him or give us a 4th to 3rd to entice us to trade him. This of course if they are not offering us a starting quality player to help us now in return.

A team trading for Leary now would have to be one that is in contention. A team in contention would not want to trade away a starting caliber player.

I don't see the Cowboys giving a 4th any consideration because they will want to protect Romo when he returns even if they are out of contention by then and Bern was not good in the game where he split reps with Collins. If a team offered a 3rd they would have to at least consider it; however, it would have to be a team that realizes that Leary's poor performances this season were due to injury and not to a decline in ability. That is hard for another team to know for certain based on the way things transpired. If he had just stayed out injured then it would make sense that the guy teams saw on film would return when the injury has healed; however, he returned and played 2 games with poor performances and then got replaced by Collins. If I'm the GM on the the other team I don't really know if his poor performance was all about the groin injury or if he has just declined due to effort or getting fat, etc. Also his knee issue that caused him to not get drafted would have to be a concern to a team trading for him. They might think that his knee has flared up causing his poor performances and that condition would likely not get better without surgery if it ever flares up.

Bottom line: Anything can happen but it is a higher probability that you will get hit by lightening today than the probability of Leary getting traded this season.

If Romo was out for the entire season it would be different or if the Cowboys are out of contention and Leary played a different position then it might also be different; however, Romo is going to return regardless of the win-loss record and they'll want to put max resources in to protecting him and assuring his healthy going into the off-season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah he's not going anywhere this season. I doubt he's traded next season either for the reasons laid out. His value to the Cowboys next season will be more than what I think other teams would surrender in a trade. If I had to make a prediction at this point it would be he's the b/u OG next season and then leaves in 2017.

I still wish they would consider Collins at RT. If not this season, then next. I would be shocked if he was not a huge upgrade at RT over Free.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Realistically if say Learys trade value is probably around the 5th or 6th round range. And at that point you have to ask yourself is he worth more to you then that and I think so.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Personally I wanna keep Leary for insurance, solid guards on the cheap are valuable for depth..

erod

Reaction score
You could likely get a 5th or 6th round pick for Leary.

However, he's more valuable as a tendered free agent. Pay him well enough to get a second round pick in return if somebody signs him. Otherwise, he's a good player and a valuable backup that you'll likely need after an injury.

John813

Reaction score
I still see the team going with Green next year at RT, if he can stay healthy(duh).
Collins probably cements himself as the left guard for us at a cheap price for the next two years.
Have no issue bringing back Leary with a tender giving Collins another run for the starting role.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I was reading an article regarding hypothetical trades on nfl.com which I linked below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...to-broncos-among-trades-that-would-make-sense

That made me think about the possibilities of trading Leary and what we could get player wise?

Leary to my understanding would be a restricted FA next season and since we have La'el Collins now starting at LG, clearly the future at the position, we probably would not make an offer to Leary since he would want a starters contract and rightfully so.

What do you think we can get for him and what team would we make the trade with?

What about other players like Barry Church? Apparently Byron Jones might be moving to safety soon.

Leary is the only player I would consider trading since we have Bernadeau as a capable backup. If we can't trade him, I would slap a second-round tag on him in the offseason and entertain trade offers. If no one offers, I'd keep him as a backup for another season.

Now, I don't know what we can get for him. Perhaps a team whose season is going into the tank would like a young guard to build with and be willing to part with a veteran player who can help us now.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A team trading for Leary now would have to be one that is in contention. A team in contention would not want to trade away a starting caliber player.

I don't see the Cowboys giving a 4th any consideration because they will want to protect Romo when he returns even if they are out of contention by then and Bern was not good in the game where he split reps with Collins. If a team offered a 3rd they would have to at least consider it; however, it would have to be a team that realizes that Leary's poor performances this season were due to injury and not to a decline in ability. That is hard for another team to know for certain based on the way things transpired. If he had just stayed out injured then it would make sense that the guy teams saw on film would return when the injury has healed; however, he returned and played 2 games with poor performances and then got replaced by Collins. If I'm the GM on the the other team I don't really know if his poor performance was all about the groin injury or if he has just declined due to effort or getting fat, etc. Also his knee issue that caused him to not get drafted would have to be a concern to a team trading for him. They might think that his knee has flared up causing his poor performances and that condition would likely not get better without surgery if it ever flares up.

Bottom line: Anything can happen but it is a higher probability that you will get hit by lightening today than the probability of Leary getting traded this season.

If Romo was out for the entire season it would be different or if the Cowboys are out of contention and Leary played a different position then it might also be different; however, Romo is going to return regardless of the win-loss record and they'll want to put max resources in to protecting him and assuring his healthy going into the off-season.

One vet I could see as remotely possible is Michael Brockers. The Rams picked up his option, and even though thats much more expensive then a 2nd round tender its still not cost prohibitive on our part. Even though they still may sign him to an extention there were rumors they were shopping him before the draft. Rams dont have an especially strong intirior OL and they key component of there offense would be Todd Gurley

Now granted we are just spitballing, but for kicks and gigs, the questions would be

1) Would the the Rams trade Brockers straight up for Leary

2) Would the Cowboys be interested in Brockers in this scheme. Is he more then just a 1 Tech here and can he get passing down snaps

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Realistically if say Learys trade value is probably around the 5th or 6th round range. And at that point you have to ask yourself is he worth more to you then that and I think so.

I keep him if thats all we can get.

A 4th I would consider if we only had one or none. We will likely have 2 so Id pass on a 4th as well

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

chip-clipart-bag-of-chips.svg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One vet I could see as remotely possible is Michael Brockers. The Rams picked up his option, and even though thats much more expensive then a 2nd round tender its still not cost prohibitive on our part. Even though they still may sign him to an extention there were rumors they were shopping him before the draft. Rams dont have an especially strong intirior OL and they key component of there offense would be Todd Gurley

Now granted we are just spitballing, but for kicks and gigs, the questions would be

1) Would the the Rams trade Brockers straight up for Leary

2) Would the Cowboys be interested in Brockers in this scheme. Is he more then just a 1 Tech here and can he get passing down snaps

The other team would most likely need to initiate the discussion. I don't think the Cowboys are actively looked to trade away Leary.

The 1st question would be if Leary is 100% healthy.

I saw the rumor in the off-season about Brockers but I don't know if there was any validity to them. He has started all of their games and has played the 3rd most snaps on the DL. I don't know if Marineilli would like him or not. He is over 320 pounds and ran slower than 5.2 in the forty neither of which seems like the idea fit for Marinelli but I'm never certain which 1techs would be an exception to the trend for him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The other team would most likely need to initiate the discussion. I don't think the Cowboys are actively looked to trade away Leary.

The 1st question would be if Leary is 100% healthy.

I saw the rumor in the off-season about Brockers but I don't know if there was any validity to them. He has started all of their games and has played the 3rd most snaps on the DL. I don't know if Marineilli would like him or not. He is over 320 pounds and ran slower than 5.2 in the forty neither of which seems like the idea fit for Marinelli but I'm never certain which 1techs would be an exception to the trend for him.

I know the scouting department liked Brockers, but that was for Ryans 3-4. As far as our scheme, he is a quick twitch guy, but not a true pass rusher. Not inept, but unless we lose Hardy he likely wont play much on 3rd downs.

As far as our interest I guess it would depend on 1 ) How much they wanted to shore up the run D. Brockers would be an instant improvement and make us rather stout 2) How much usuage they feel they can get out of him in sub packages considering we are only in base 25% or so of the time

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the scouting department liked Brockers, but that was for Ryans 3-4. As far as our scheme, he is a quick twitch guy, but not a true pass rusher. Not inept, but unless we lose Hardy he likely wont play much on 3rd downs.

As far as our interest I guess it would depend on 1 ) How much they wanted to shore up the run D. Brockers would be an instant improvement and make us rather stout 2) How much usuage they feel they can get out of him in sub packages considering we are only in base 25% or so of the time

Marinelli has some specific requirements of the 1tech that not are big issues for other DCoordinators. They have to get to plays that go away from then to the flat and back to LB depth. They can't just defender the small area where they line up.

His new 3 man line formation shows how he likes to get smaller not bigger when possible. He has basically use RoMc as a hybrid DT/LB in the 3 man line that they used in the Pats and Giants game.