What did everyone think about Seattle blatantly breaking the rules to block Minnesota’s FG on Monday

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The problem is that while the NFL piles on the idiot rules they still can't get obvious things like this right. Clown League.

I think Byron has gotten a couple of these over the years. I recall feeling that one was pretty ticky tack.

This one could not have been more obvious. Even if you're unclear on the rule, you can't miss how unfootball like it looked. And they didn't.

But how then do refs pile together and still get the call wrong? Nobody knows what the hell their jobs are.

conner01

Reaction score
If you can get away with it then why not? It's the ref's fault for allowing it to happen so blame them, not Bobby Wagnor.
I don’t get people wanting a fine for a team because the refs didn’t call an obvious penalty
Every team pushes the envelope till the refs make the call
CB’s grab as much as the refs let them. Receivers fake accidentally running into them on passing routes
Letting air out of the ball, bugging the other teams, that’s cheating
Using leverage right in front of the ref on a play that won them the game was a gamble that it wouldn’t get called
Anger should be at those who’s job it is to call the penalty

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It speaks top the character of the team, the coaches and the players. Wager is a low grade human. If they are proud of that maneuver that tells you everything you need to know.

jsb357

Reaction score
You got the rule wrong

Penalty: (for (a) through (h)): Loss of 15 yards from the succeeding spot or whatever spot the Referee, after consulting
with the crew, deems equitable. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.

(o) Jumping or standing on a teammate or opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.
(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s
kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

(q) Picking up a teammate to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.
(r) Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Try Kick, or
apparent kick, unless the leaping player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A
player, who is behind the line of scrimmage before or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross
the line of scrimmage or land on players.

Nope you are wrong

Last edited:

Doomsday77

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they didn't throw the flag because he didn't use the push off for leverage. What I mean is he didn't get any higher when he pushed off with both hands. The rule clearly says to "elevate". If you watched the instant replay, the level of his helmet never changed. What he did get was closer to the kicker pushing off like that.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
There's some in here that think the 2nd Cowboys/ Eagles game was in favor of the Cowboys regarding the refs...

I suggest they rewatch that Viking/Seahawks game and they can see what it is actually like to have a game where a team gets the benefits of most calls and non calls.

Or, they can refer to the first meeting between the Cowboys and Eagles.. You know, the one where not one call was against the Eagles?

That game this past Monday Night was horrible. Something needs to be done about these refs.

cristglo

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they didn't throw the flag because he didn't use the push off for leverage. What I mean is he didn't get any higher when he pushed off with both hands. The rule clearly says to "elevate". If you watched the instant replay, the level of his helmet never changed. What he did get was closer to the kicker pushing off like that.
Read the second part of the rule its not only leverage its to jump through a gap which he did

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Read the second part of the rule its not only leverage its to jump through a gap which he did
True but was just pointing out that he didn't get any higher. In fact he didn't need to otherwise he would have jumped over the ball. Good point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
To me the missed call is like Speeding, if you don't catch me or pull me over then no foul. lol It was a bad call and a costly call for Minn, it took away their last chance in a close game

Brax

Reaction score
I didn’t like it. Using your teammate as leverage is against the rules. You could tell that play was practiced. The timing was perfect as Wagner put his hands on both of his teammates shoulders at the exact same time, and then pushed off( leverage ). I think on a play like this the League Office should fine Seattle’s owner for conduct detrimental to the league. If owners are fined heavily after their teams blatantly break the rules, then maybe less teams would try cheap tactics like this. NE has been doing crap like this for years. They will get away with it, then the league will quietly make a rule against it( jumping the center, having an ineligible slot receiver, while the tackle is eligible on the opposite side of the field, NE won a playoff game vs the Ravens a couple of years ago doing this. The play was made illegal after that season)
What if we are in the playoffs vs Seattle and they block our 20 yard FG to win the game by using this bush league play.

Lastly, this play should be reviewable. It is hard for the ref to see everything that is going on in the middle of the line during a FG attempt. It would be ashame for any team to lose a game in this manner, especially our team.
Agree or disagree?
The play actual looked like it has been practiced it was timed with the 3 players, so many bad calls, missed calls, inconsistent calls and wrong calls this year , I hope it doesn't come to replay for every call as they seem to get replay calls wrong also. Watched the game for years never have I seen the officiating this poor game after game across the boards. At this point I am for only coaches challenges ( 2 , 3 if your right) as it is right now but any play, no more both reviews for anything only coaches challenges.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Either way he only grazed his teammate but if the rule says you can't touch them then they got it wrong

I just don't see some big conspiracy
I must be thinking of the wrong play. TBH, I'm not sure. I know I saw somebody use his 2 teammates as pommel horses and jump over the line to block a kick.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Skip fining the owner. They should go after Carroll..... hard. He's the worst kind. He looks nice, acts nice, says the right things and then cheats his AZZ off. I despise guys like that.

https://www.si.com/si-wire/2014/06/08/pete-carroll-usc-sanctions-left-departure

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexre...dered-the-nfls-foremost-cheater/#5d3a2313579f

Yeah, it's hard to imagine how much you'd have to fine the Paul Allen estate for it to work as a deterrent.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He used his teammates to elevate his feet over them.