What direction would you take if the team is wiped out at S?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been in this position many times needing a safety to fall to their selection in round 2. It's never happened as Safeties are always in high demand, usually come off the board within the top 10 picks of the round.

If the team is indeed wiped out at the position, which direction would you like them to take:

-Best player available on their board, any position
-Best player at a need position
-Select a player higher as they don't believe he will be there at 90
-Try to trade back to acquire another day 3 selection

I would take the best player available, no matter which position.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Best available at a need Position,,,help me along here in the logic of you're reasoning, as from my angled view, your choice would (possibly) only prove to be of an marginal upgrade over what it could be replacing( current starter), as,other than quality depth at 'whatever' position,,, it hardly addresses a particular pressing need of a certain position a franchise is in quested search of in making an significant upgrade at.

Sydla

Reaction score
BPA at need position.

DT, TE or DE.

If the S board is completely wiped out because there was a run on safeties, I suspect there is going to be a high enough ranked player on our board at one of those three positions to take at 58. I am going to upchuck if we take a slot WR like Deebo at 58. Or another OL.

morasp

Reaction score
Zach Allen and if they have a pretty good feel about what teams after them are going to do they could trade back slightly and try to pick up an extra day 3 pick. Moving from 58 to 60 is worth 20 points and round six picks are only worth 5.4-21.4 points and round seven picks are only worth 1-5 points.

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
What is Zach Allen? A DE? A DT?

Frankly, he seems like a 3-4 DE more than anything.

He's a highly productive defensive end with the ability to move inside. He has NFL ready strength, plays to the whistle on every play, and has a high football IQ and high character.

After Nick Bosa and Clelin Ferrell, I've been looking for someone to emerge as the No. 3 edge-rusher in this loaded class, and I think I found him.

Boston College's Zach Allen is a monster at 6-foot-5 and 280-plus pounds with impressive athleticism for his size, plenty of power, and most importantly, a developed arsenal of pass-rushing/block-shedding moves. He has positional versatility too. I can see him lining up inside and using his length and hand use to slip past slower, bigger guards at the NFL level.

By the way, I won't be shocked if Allen ultimately passes Ferrell on my Big Board, especially given how the two players have been trending of late. The Eagles star has 10 tackles for loss, four sacks, five batted passes, an interception and forced fumble in his last six games.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...er-refined-game-to-be-star-defensive-lineman/

Hardline

Reaction score
I fully expect the safety position to be wiped out by 58.
Just take the BPA. That's the most successful way of drafting..
If the BPA isn't a position of need then trade down..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's a difficult decision of which direction the team should take. Years ago they had a 1st round grade on McCoy and decided to pass cause it wasn't a need at the time. I think they traded down and drafted Robert Brewster. Looking back, that was an awful decision. This tells us, the right direction is to take the best player available. Draft picks aren't for year 1, especially at the end of round 2. It's a 4 to 5 year investment on a player. I think every position is in play, excluding QB. What I do not want to see is the team reaching to fill a need. In my final mock, I made that same mistake by overdrafting Hill at 58. Take the best player period!

Sydla

Reaction score
He's a highly productive defensive end with the ability to move inside. He has NFL ready strength, plays to the whistle on every play, and has a high football IQ and high character.

After Nick Bosa and Clelin Ferrell, I've been looking for someone to emerge as the No. 3 edge-rusher in this loaded class, and I think I found him.

Boston College's Zach Allen is a monster at 6-foot-5 and 280-plus pounds with impressive athleticism for his size, plenty of power, and most importantly, a developed arsenal of pass-rushing/block-shedding moves. He has positional versatility too. I can see him lining up inside and using his length and hand use to slip past slower, bigger guards at the NFL level.

By the way, I won't be shocked if Allen ultimately passes Ferrell on my Big Board, especially given how the two players have been trending of late. The Eagles star has 10 tackles for loss, four sacks, five batted passes, an interception and forced fumble in his last six games.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...er-refined-game-to-be-star-defensive-lineman/

One, I think the writer overvalues Allen's athleticism. The knock on most places is that he has average athleticism.

Second, the writer also wrote another article on how Dallas can be successful in the draft with no first round pick. He stated they should look at Miles Sanders at 58, never mentioned DT as a need and then said we are "set" at S because we added Iloka. So I am not going to put a ton of value in Chris T's analysis at this point.

That's not to say Allen wouldn't be a fine pick but instead of picking one of these position flexible guys the staff seems to love, how about get a pure DE or a pure DT? If Allen is there at 90, great. I wouldn't be that impressed with taking him at 58.

morasp

Reaction score
One, I think the writer overvalues Allen's athleticism. The knock on most places is that he has average athleticism.

Second, the writer also wrote another article on how Dallas can be successful in the draft with no first round pick. He stated they should look at Miles Sanders at 58, never mentioned DT as a need and then said we are "set" at S because we added Iloka. So I am not going to put a ton of value in Chris T's analysis at this point.

That's not to say Allen wouldn't be a fine pick but instead of picking one of these position flexible guys the staff seems to love, how about get a pure DE or a pure DT? If Allen is there at 90, great. I wouldn't be that impressed with taking him at 58.
Which one? Saying that Allen is a jack of all trades master of none wouldn't be accurate. I'm not a player scout or anything but in my opinion you could put him at DE or 3T and leave him there and he would be highly productive. TJ Watt gets moved around the defensive line all the time.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Draft picks aren't for year 1, especially at the end of round 2. It's a 4 to 5 year investment on a player. I think every position is in play, excluding QB.

You do realize what you're spewing out there, doncha' Bro?:)

*#4 sez' yo!

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Which one? Saying that Allen is a jack of all trades master of none wouldn't be accurate. I'm not a player scout or anything but in my opinion you could put him at DE or 3T and leave him there and he would be highly productive. TJ Watt gets moved around the defensive line all the time.

JJ Watt was a far more explosive and more athletic prospect than Allen.

Allen just seems like that high motor, high effort guy that has a ceiling in this league. I am just not sure I'd want to use our best pick in this draft on a guy whose best strength might be the fact you could play him at DE or DT and he'd be OK but not great at either position.

morasp

Reaction score
JJ Watt was a far more explosive and more athletic prospect than Allen.

Allen just seems like that high motor, high effort guy that has a ceiling in this league. I am just not sure I'd want to use our best pick in this draft on a guy whose best strength might be the fact you could play him at DE or DT and he'd be OK but not great at either position.
Who would you take instead that would realistically be there. The pass rusher from Alabama that's always hurt? I think Allen would be a better 3T than Wren, Saunders or Willis. All of the second tier DTs have holes in their game some on the field and some off. I'm not saying that he's TJ Watt but he's not a first round pick either. I do think at the point we're picking which is almost a third round pick he would be a solid contributor for years to come.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Who would you take instead that would realistically be there.

I am not sure there will be this run on Ss that people think. I believe there will be a safety there at 58. I would also put pure edge player as a need over a guy like Allen. And sometimes, there is a surprise............ if a guy like Simmons were to fall, I'd be all over him even though he's out with an ACL for 2019.

I'd take Saunders over him as well.

I like your idea of a small move down too to maybe grab an extra pick or two.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been in this position many times needing a safety to fall to their selection in round 2. It's never happened as Safeties are always in high demand, usually come off the board within the top 10 picks of the round.

If the team is indeed wiped out at the position, which direction would you like them to take:

Most of the time there is a tier of players considered to be about the same in value, so best player available at any position really isn't necessary. The guy 58th on your board is likely the same evaluationwise as the guy who is 65th on your board. If there is a clear distinction, then you take the 58th no matter the position, or trade down to a spot where you can grab someone at more of a need position.

There is absolutely not reason, for example, for us to spend the 58th pick on a linebacker, for example, because we have three high picks and high-quality players there already. If a linebacker is the best available, then there are multiple questions the team has to ask itself. What is his relative value compared to a player of need? If it's much higher than the player of the need, can I trade down some and still be able to acquire a player of need? (In other words, there has to be enough players available in that tier that you like to make the trade worthwhile. If I'm trading down 10 spots, for example, then there has to be 10 players that I would consider taking.)

If you can't get the spot and value you need for the pick, then you take the linebacker.

The Realist

Reaction score

You forgot another option; go up and get the safety you want instead of settling for Spam vs steak at the position like we have since the early 2000’s.

cowboyec

Reaction score
at that point I would hope for a DL or CB....or Damien Harris,RB-Alabama.
I don't think Deebo makes it to us.
if he is there in the scenario you describe...thats where I go....but if he is off...I look at DL,CB or Damien Harris.

Sydla

Reaction score
at that point I would hope for a DL or CB....or Damien Harris,RB-Alabama.
I don't think Deebo makes it to us.
if he is there in the scenario you describe...thats where I go....but if he is off...I look at DL,CB or Damien Harris.

I think I'd not watch the rest of the draft if we used a 2nd round pick on a TB.

morasp

Reaction score
I am not sure there will be this run on Ss that people think. I believe there will be a safety there at 58. I would also put pure edge player as a need over a guy like Allen. And sometimes, there is a surprise............ if a guy like Simmons were to fall, I'd be all over him even though he's out with an ACL for 2019.

I'd take Saunders over him as well.

I like your idea of a small move down too to maybe grab an extra pick or two.
Yeah, I hate not having a sixth, this is a deep draft and there are a lot of day three guys that could have a real chance to make the team. We'll just have to disagree on Saunders I wouldn't be surprised if he was there at 90. But If someone falls to us out of the first you bet I'm all in.

I think they're realistically zeroed in on three guys.
1. Rapp
2. Thornhill
3. Allen

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, I hate not having a sixth, this is a deep draft and there are a lot of day three guys that could have a real chance to make the team. We'll just have to disagree on Saunders but If someone falls to us out of the first you bet I'm all in.

I think they're zeroed in on three guys.
1. Rapp
2. Thornhill
3. Allen

And I don't like two of those three. Well, I like Allen, but not at 58. And I don't like Rapp at all.