What do you expect from this team in the next 3 years?

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
What can we expect from this Cowboys team the next 3 years?

There is no question this team is built around the QB/RB/WR who are 27/25/25 coming into this year. They should all be into their primes for the next 3 years — what can we expect?

I’m so scarred by Jason Garrett’s consistent inexcusable mistakes that caused this team could never get out of its own way. Basic decisions such as time management, critical situation calls, and special teams have plagued our seasons.

I believe our range of results is wide depending on McCarthy, health, and roster additions from the draft. I’m an optimist at heart, but it’s hard to get away from thinking more 8-8 or 9-7, fringe playoff seasons, maybe one special 12-4/13-3 season with a disappointing playoff loss.

If we are a Super Bowl contender, it will be because of McCarthy’s superiority over Garrett.

catiii

Reaction score
Well you asked.......no SB and no playoff wins. Same old same old. Same ringmaster runs the circus an that's all it is to him - a really big show with lots of ego attention and a huge income from the BRAND. Wins?? PFFFFTT>>>

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
th

CCBoy

Reaction score
After new free agent additions, the Dallas Cowboys defensive line is pretty well set at three of four spots. Yet, right defensive end temporarily remains unsettled. Tyrone Crawford will be healthy again. Randy Gregory has reportedly applied for reinstatement and would likely be less risky under the new CBA rules. Some feel Dallas can’t count on a reinstated, rusty Gregory. 2018 proved that’s not quite the case. Gregory was suspended for nearly two years before his 2018 return. After Week Three he recorded a QB hit, sack, or both in 10 of 11 games.

With Crawford and likely Gregory on hand, signing a high priced veteran will be too rich for their blood. Also, drafting an end below the 16th overall pick rarely provides an instant impact rusher. It is possible at Pick 17, but risky with bigger holes to fill. Expect a mid range veteran signing the likes of a Michael Bennett type and also middle rounds draft consideration. Other than that, it’s likely Dallas won’t spend their high value resources at right end.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/03/26/dallas-cowboys-three-defensive-predictions-free-agency/

The team is top heavy...so the bottom portion has to be full of low priced drafted players, or one year deals that come up during free agency.

I expect a top receiver and quality picks at cornerback and safety...to expand the nickel package and serve as an 'experienced' replacement starter for the near future. A strongly top heavy draft, with even using multiple picks/future picks, to accomplish all three of these needs.

dallasdave

Reaction score

There is no question this team is built around the QB/RB/WR who are 27/25/25 coming into this year. They should all be into their primes for the next 3 years — what can we expect?

I’m so scarred by Jason Garrett’s consistent inexcusable mistakes that caused this team could never get out of its own way. Basic decisions such as time management, critical situation calls, and special teams have plagued our seasons.

I believe our range of results is wide depending on McCarthy, health, and roster additions from the draft. I’m an optimist at heart, but it’s hard to get away from thinking more 8-8 or 9-7, fringe playoff seasons, maybe one special 12-4/13-3 season with a disappointing playoff loss.

If we are a Super Bowl contender, it will be because of McCarthy’s superiority over Garrett.
I want it all and I want it now --next 3 years --3 Super Bowl wins :starspin::starspin::starspin:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why the Cowboys' top-heavy roster will count on a strong draft
The big bucks Dallas is paying its stars means it must be adept with its cap moves and hit on low-end contracts and draft picks the next few years.

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...top-heavy-roster-will-count-on-a-strong-draft

If the top end players don't produce this season, then in about two to three seasons, the team will be fully into a rebuild status.

Over the next five seasons, the Cowboys will have to be adept with their salary-cap maneuverings. Elliott is signed through 2024, but the team can effectively get out of the deal after the 2022 season. Lawrence, Tyron Smith and Frederick are signed through 2023, and the Cowboys can get out of those deals after 2021 if they want. They can get out of the Cooper deal after two years with a $6 million dead money charge.

cowboybish

Reaction score
After new free agent additions, the Dallas Cowboys defensive line is pretty well set at three of four spots. Yet, right defensive end temporarily remains unsettled. Tyrone Crawford will be healthy again. Randy Gregory has reportedly applied for reinstatement and would likely be less risky under the new CBA rules. Some feel Dallas can’t count on a reinstated, rusty Gregory. 2018 proved that’s not quite the case. Gregory was suspended for nearly two years before his 2018 return. After Week Three he recorded a QB hit, sack, or both in 10 of 11 games.

With Crawford and likely Gregory on hand, signing a high priced veteran will be too rich for their blood. Also, drafting an end below the 16th overall pick rarely provides an instant impact rusher. It is possible at Pick 17, but risky with bigger holes to fill. Expect a mid range veteran signing the likes of a Michael Bennett type and also middle rounds draft consideration. Other than that, it’s likely Dallas won’t spend their high value resources at right end.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/03/26/dallas-cowboys-three-defensive-predictions-free-agency/

The team is top heavy...so the bottom portion has to be full of low priced drafted players, or one year deals that come up during free agency.

I expect a top receiver and quality picks at cornerback and safety...to expand the nickel package and serve as an 'experienced' replacement starter for the near future. A strongly top heavy draft, with even using multiple picks/future picks, to accomplish all three of these needs.
AND do we know what going on with David Irving at this point. Here is the guy who "COULD" make this D special. https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ney-comes-with-side-eye-but-cowboys-watching/

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well you asked.......no SB and no playoff wins. Same old same old. Same ringmaster runs the circus an that's all it is to him - a really big show with lots of ego attention and a huge income from the BRAND. Wins?? PFFFFTT>>>

Same ringmaster? Haven't you heard, Garrett out, McCarthy in?

Jerry doesn't make the game plan call the plays. He is not on the field running the plays. He is pretty much and has been done bringing in big name players to huge contracts only too fail. When was the last time this team overpaid in FA?

If you believe Jerry is in this for the show and attention, you are fooling yourself. Jerry has his issues, which now days is, he just needs to stop talking to the media. But then what fun would that be. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I expect them to be competitive for the division title to start with, just as they have been for the most part. It was clear the team was good, for the most part, but the coaching staff was not. So now with a much better coaching staff, or appears to be at this moment in time, and an updated defensive scheme. Hopefully less predictable offense, improved ST's. That will be enough to win the division and go further in the playoffs.

Of course we all want to get to the SB. Well most do. Eventually a SB, as fans we should all expect that. Heck, even Browns fans, Dolphin fans should expect that for their teams in the next 2 to 4 years. That is why most of us are fans.

I truly believe there are "fans" that hope for failure to only whine and complain about the teams and Jerry. Anyway, I do not expect a SB appearance this season, as of now. I want to see how it all unfolds in actual games. Then go from there. But I do expect the playoffs.

I understand the 8-8 type thinking, as Garrett has that ingrained in our brains the last 10 years. However as soon as I learned 100% that Garrett was out, I started to exorcize the demonic 8-8 thinking out of my head. :muttley:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
You know when you want something so bad year after year with no luck your hope has been dashed..you kinda don't care anymore even if they win it is too little too late.
think of it like a man who asked every girl he met for a date and all of them turned him down..when he turned 95 years old one old lady showed him an interest ...he said NO he just does not care anymore

Now for the Cowboys they have to proof it first by consistently winning to ignite the fire again in our hearts.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This virus really hurts a team such as this newly directed team as the Cowboys. I want a climate change, to where intensity and meeting challenge on the field, starts at the opening whistle. That comes from practice and hard work...

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I'm a bit more positive since Garrett is gone, but yes, Jerry still runs the circus and it will come down to how much authority he gives MM. The downside is MM is going to have to use the groceries Jerry gives him. Will he be able to get them to play as well as Billy B does in NE?

We saw what this team is capable of in the Rams game last season, but Garrett wasn't a good enough coach to maintain consistency throughout an entire season rather than one game. Who knows why they decided to play good for that one game but crapped the bed the rest of the season. I'm hopeful MM can bring some needed passion and consistency.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
With Prescott under centre maybe one play off win at a push.
The west coast offense will be better for Dak.

Two space waters in front of LVE and Smith will help them out.

Special teams will definitely be better.

Our secondary is really the only area of question on this team. If we fix that during the draft we could make some noise in the next couple of years.

We don't need Dak to be perfect if we have a great defense and a great run game.