What do you need to see to want the Cowboys to run it back next season?

Blitzen

Reaction score
I feel like this discussion can happen now that the Cowboys are officially in the playoffs. The Cowboys are almost certainly going to run it back with their current starting QB unless he has an appendage amputated. Most of the core is under contract anyway, so the discussion hinges on what you as a fan would want to see postseason included to resign Dak to a very large contract. It binds the team to the player and is the most important team building decision a team can make with player personnel. I think the team will resign Mike McCarthy as well no matter what happens the rest of the way.

For me, I want to see the team beat SF to resign Dak OR that the offense including Dak has a fantastic game vs SF in a losing effort (27+ points, efficient very few punts and no turnovers). OR-they win the Super Bowl or lose with the offense playing spectacularly.

Why SF? I think Dallas has proven in recent years they can readily compete against the large majority of teams, but have not proven it against a defensive powerhouse like SF in the postseason (especially on offense). Since so much of the team’s assets would be tied to one offensive player, I want to see that next step from the offense this postseason. I do not care if they beat all other teams by 40-50 points or if they make it to the NFCCG. There will always be a juggernaut that stands in the way (at least all fans should hope for that) on the path to ultimate success.

I’m happy to revisit the thread no matter what happens (SB win, 1st round loss, whatever). I understand that Dallas plays Miami next week. I understand the playoff seeding is not set yet.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Need to get past the divisional round.

Dak is staying regardless sans him throwing 10 INTs in a game and then going all Jay Ratliff on Jerry in the locker room.
I actually think it would necessitate a career ending injury. He could literally go out and throw interceptions on every single throw and he gets re-signed to a megadeal.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Win a playoff game.

Re-sign Dak regardless.
You support re-signing him no matter how he or the offense performs the rest of the way? Or they need to win a playoff game for you to support it? I already said what I think the team will do.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You support re-signing him no matter how he or the offense performs the rest of the way? Or they need to win a playoff game for you to support it? I already said what I think the team will do.
You sign him no matter what. They already should have.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You sign him no matter what. They already should have.
Yeah, I disagree unless the circumstances I mentioned before happen. Teams do not suddenly begin winning SB and conference championships after 8 years (actually even 6 years) with the same starting QB if they never have even appeared in a conference championship game. It would be historic in league terms if the Cowboys won the SB this season.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I actually think it would necessitate a career ending injury. He could literally go out and throw interceptions on every single throw and he gets re-signed to a megadeal.
I thought he already had a very good contract. They also have other players that want to get paid.For instance, does he want somebody up front that can protect him? To make a long story short,As long as the contract is reasonable,I say.

Blitzen

Reaction score
He's one of the best in the NFL, you clowns want to "try" a new one?
Yup-and you can argue your point without name calling (it makes your debating skills weak). I’m ready to move on even if that means risking lots of terrible football for the team for awhile-unless the circumstances I stated in the original post happen.

If the team is extremely unlikely to have ultimate success with a QB based on decades of evidence, then I would suggest following those decades of evidence advice and move in a new direction.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah, I disagree unless the circumstances I mentioned before happen. Teams do not suddenly begin winning SB and conference championships after 8 years (actually even 6 years) with the same starting QB if they never have even appeared in a conference championship game. It would be historic in league terms if the Cowboys won the SB this season.
This doesn't mean anything.

Too many people try to take coincidence and make it something predictive.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Tyron Smith dismissed.

Overpaid.

Our Offense struggles against good teams. He is a disease that needs to be eradicated. Along with Dak and every other high paid player. Im not paying Micah either...his defenses dissolve when it matters. Trade him for a H. Walker type deal.

Drain the swamp and bring in rookie contracts.