What do you need to see to want the Cowboys to run it back next season?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Trey Lance to start. :popcorn:

Draft a Zeke type RB
Draft / Sign 26 LB's to compete.
I do enjoy these posts. I have argued my stance since well before Dak got his first extension. The team does not necessarily go with an unproven rookie or QB (could be a journeyman type with said unproven guy backing up).

I have also read several times that Dak provides the best chance at winning a SB currently, so the team must continue resigning him until you find a better QB. I disagree with the entire makeup of that argument. A team that moves on from a QB does not have to have a full proof alternative. They just evaluate team goals and likelihood of the team being able to achieve those goals based on past performance with said player (s). If the main goal of the team is to win SB’s with a starting QB-then by the end of year 6 with that QB the team needs to have at least made it to the conference championship game (based on decades of NFL history). If the main goal is to make the postseason, then all you really need is to make the playoffs every 1-3 years (mission accomplished).

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if dak performs miserablely in every meaningful game the rest of the season and we lose. Do you still want him back??

Blitzen

Reaction score
This doesn't mean anything.

Too many people try to take coincidence and make it something predictive.
Of course it means something. Doing predictive analysis is and should be one of the biggest aspects of team building.

Parcells himself said Landry told him to give new players 3 full seasons to prove they have a future in the league. It was slightly arbitrary, but Landry was going off previous experience from all previous seasons. Same thing should happen now with a salary cap and QB’s and overall team building. Go off historical predictive models.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Ok

Sign Dak
Keep big Mike
Pray Quinn leaves with his tiny, non-stopping defense that only plays well when Dalls leads by 2 touchdowns
Draft a bell cow RB
Focus on the interior DL
I think Quinn got spoiled in Seattle with the linebackers they had at the time of legion of boom. You need those guys to be elite for this defense to be okay versus the run.

I’m done with bell-cow running backs, but they need a much more versatile one that can also be explosive. I also did not think the run defense lost in between the tackles so much yesterday as they did off tackle. That’s where they died repetitively.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yup-and you can argue your point without name calling (it makes your debating skills weak). I’m ready to move on even if that means risking lots of terrible football for the team for awhile-unless the circumstances I stated in the original post happen.

If the team is extremely unlikely to have ultimate success with a QB based on decades of evidence, then I would suggest following those decades of evidence advice and move in a new direction.
Clowns is 100% accurate.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Of course it means something. Doing predictive analysis is and should be one of the biggest aspects of team building.

Parcells himself said Landry told him to give new players 3 full seasons to prove they have a future in the league. It was slightly arbitrary, but Landry was going off previous experience from all previous seasons. Same thing should happen now with a salary cap and QB’s and overall team building. Go off historical predictive models.
There is nothing predictive about that because you haven't answered the "why."

There's correlation (barely, depending on scope), not causation, and it's a tiny sample size. I mean, this 8 years thing wasn't true until like 2015

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those of you that want Dak gone you can forget it. Jerry’s mind is, and has been, made up for a while now.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Clowns is 100% accurate.
You keep saying it with zero debate. A team does not have to re-sign players that are “one of the best.” A team can choose to resign players based on how they see that player fitting with the team goals going forward.

If the main team goals are to make the playoffs, beat the bottom 25-26 teams routinely-then I could see why a team would re-sign Dak to a megadeal. If they want ultimate success-then my argument as far as meeting certain circumstances this postseason stands.

Blitzen

Reaction score
There is nothing predictive about that because you haven't answered the "why."

There's correlation (barely, depending on scope), not causation, and it's a tiny sample size. I mean, this 8 years thing wasn't true until like 2015
All you can do is correlation. I haven’t said the method is full proof prediction. You base big decisions on the correlation statistics though.

I can say that in the current league Dak is a very good QB, but what has been made apparent to me is that QB play is vastly overrated with regards to overall team performance. Lines of scrimmage are still the most important keys to team success. A good QB these years and many years before it can look great if they have a dominant run game (and pass protection) with solid/elite receiving weapons.

Brock Purdy is better than Jimmy G (which is not saying much). Look what happened to them with Trent Williams and Deebo.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
All you can do is correlation. I haven’t said the method is full proof prediction. You base big decisions on the correlation statistics though.
No you don't.

This is the nonsense that says "you win if you run the ball 20 times a game."

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think Quinn got spoiled in Seattle with the linebackers they had at the time of legion of boom. You need those guys to be elite for this defense to be okay versus the run.

I’m done with bell-cow running backs, but they need a much more versatile one that can also be explosive. I also did not think the run defense lost in between the tackles so much yesterday as they did off tackle. That’s where they died repetitively.
I meant a RB that can carry a load but not necessarily a 25 touch guy. I prefer having a couple backs that compliment one another. I do want them to get a guy that can move a pile though.

Quinn has fundamentally refused to sure up the interior. It was masked a bit with Hankins and big leads but any team that wants to run it up the gut vs Dallas will. The LB core is in shambles. Another failure of Quinn who loves to watch Ss play in the box. Look at the LBs in SF. Monsters.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Tyron Smith dismissed.

Overpaid.

Our Offense struggles against good teams. He is a disease that needs to be eradicated. Along with Dak and every other high paid player. Im not paying Micah either...his defenses dissolve when it matters. Trade him for a H. Walker type deal.

Drain the swamp and bring in rookie contracts.
So your answer to how they fix things is "be terrible."

Smart.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Make the NFCCG at all cost. I feel confident we are the 2nd best team in the conference. Anything below the NFCCG is underachieving (unless we play SF) in divisional round.

Blitzen

Reaction score
No you don't.

This is the nonsense that says "you win if you run the ball 20 times a game."
You do need to run the ball a certain number of times in a given number of plays (say 50-60 plays) to give the defense some rest and to balance the offense (when you weigh it throughout the season).

I said big decisions-like planning a full team build for the next 3-5 seasons. A single game will have all kinds of stuff happening within it that use some of the correlation statistics, but can drastically change because of unpredictable variables. The good coaches are definitely utilizing the correlative statistics to game plan though.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You do need to run the ball a certain number of times in a given number of plays (say 50-60 plays) to give the defense some rest and to balance the offense (when you weigh it throughout the season).

I said big decisions-like planning a full team build for the next 3-5 seasons. A single game will have all kinds of stuff happening within it that use some of the correlation statistics, but can drastically change because of unpredictable variables. The good coaches are definitely utilizing the correlative statistics to game plan though.
No, you do not. You need to convert first downs, and the best way to do that is throwing the ball.

No, they're not lol, not good ones anyways. Correlation doesn't matter. For instance, there was a 100% correlation between holding Josh Allen to 7 completions and winning ball games.

erod

Reaction score
Ok

Sign Dak
Keep big Mike
Pray Quinn leaves with his tiny, non-stopping defense that only plays well when Dalls leads by 2 touchdowns
Draft a bell cow RB
Focus on the interior DL
That'll get you to another wild card and divisional round exit at best.

Blitzen

Reaction score
No, you do not. You need to convert first downs, and the best way to do that is throwing the ball.

No, they're not lol, not good ones anyways. Correlation doesn't matter. For instance, there was a 100% correlation between holding Josh Allen to 7 completions and winning ball games.
Is there a team out there throwing 90% or more plays during a season? That’s the best way of converting first downs?

High percentage forward pitch plays that are basically run at or within 1-2 yards of the line of scrimmage are part of the rushing attack to me because they rely completely on YAC. Whatever you want to call it-you have to utilize lots of high percentage short yardage plays to give you better chances of 3rd down conversion. You cannot just throw the ball for 7+ yards every play and expect lots of first downs.

Some teams are vulnerable at certain positions and certain types of plays. Buffalo did a lot of power running off tackle and exploited a defense that has light defenders (especially at linebacker). Good coaches use correlative statistics to attack other teams’ vulnerabilities. Teams, players, and coaches have commented as such. Teams that have won the Super Bowl have commented as such.