What do you think about the Air Coryell type offense Moore runs?

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the Air Coryell type offense Moore runs? I didn't see any slants or screens or misdirection against a philly D that was pressuring our guys, actually against any D that gives us trouble.

All I see when our QB is under pressure is our WR running outs, gos and crossing slow developing routes.

I'm digging the run game, the Oline is blocking better, but I think we need more slants and maybe screens with Pollard and Turpin to keep the D on its heels. What do you think?

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Just saw there is a recent thread alredy talking about offensive scheme, please Admn. delete if you wish.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t understand XO enough to sufficiently mouth off, but I’ve been watching this game for nearly 50 years, and it’s sure always seemed like the dated Garrett offense with some gadget plays added.

I also can’t help but feel that there are things that tip off the defense as to what’s coming. Pre snap motion vs not as one example.

As I said, I dunno….but I fully hope I’m wrong and we can overcome.

Honestly in todays NFL, being good isn’t enough, you’ve gotta be lucky as well (refs, turnovers), so anything can happen even if you aren’t as good as some others.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Lol thats exactly the way I would describe it "...like the dated Garrett offense with some gadget plays added."

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm good with it so far as the run calls have been balanced so far while under Rush this year.
Now, continue running and limit the returning starter 's audible authority to pass and they really might be onto something, lol.

If Moore starts to screw the pooch with his play calling, it is up to the HEAD COACH with 25 years offensive play calling to kick him aside and take over. He shouldn't be the HC if he can't do that. Period.

Mike McCarthy is the HEAD Coach and won a SB as a play caller.

That's for all the Blame it all on Kellen crowd.

And I'm not even a Moore fan boy.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you guys think about the Air Coryell type offense Moore runs? I didn't see any slants or screens or misdirection against a philly D that was pressuring our guys, actually against any D that gives us trouble.

All I see when our QB is under pressure is our WR running outs, gos and crossing slow developing routes.

I'm digging the run game, the Oline is blocking better, but I think we need more slants and maybe screens with Pollard and Turpin to keep the D on its heels. What do you think?

I been saying similar things like this for years.
I don't think Moore has the brain capacity to do such plays.
He rather run stupid trick plays trying to be cute that does not fool anyone instead.

Big D

Reaction score
Honestly, he does some good things in the passing game and a lot of the times the player execution is not always there. Having said that, I don't think he plays the 'chess' type game of football well. He overplays his hand frequently getting too cute with tricks plays and he's quick to abandon the run, even when it's working. I'd like to see him take a more fundamental approach to his play calling.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Don't think anyone is mistaking Moore's offense for that of HOFer Don Coryell. lol
That’s funny.

Isn’t there a way to connect Moore to Coryell through a coaching tree? I think there is but I’m lazy.

Something like Garrett to Turner/Zampese and backward from there.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Honestly in todays NFL, being good isn’t enough, you’ve gotta be lucky as well (refs, turnovers), so anything can happen even if you aren’t as good as some others.

Three games going on during every game on Sunday.
Coach’s battle.
Players’ battle.
Refs and luck.

Gotta win 2 out of those 3 battles. Against the better coached teams we have had to rely on the players to ‘Beat their Man”. Quinn is starting to win the defensive coach’s battles. Need Moore to step up.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Three games going on during every game on Sunday.
Coach’s battle.
Players’ battle.
Refs and luck.

Gotta win 2 out of those 3 battles. Against the better coached teams we have had to rely on the players to ‘Beat their Man”. Quinn is starting to win the defensive coach’s battles. Need Moore to step up.
As a fan during the Garrett years I just felt like we were running the ‘line up and beat your man’ crap while other teams and schemes were evolving around us. Ones that masked your own deficiencies and exploited those of the opponent, while we just relied on being better at execution, and we weren’t.

We very often got out coached and out schemed when it mattered most, and I can’t even say those days are over with MM. It all just seems like a Jerry’s puppet situation, and that just hasn’t worked….although someone is dedicated to die trying. Thats fairly clear.

ondaedg

Reaction score
As a fan during the Garrett years I just felt like we were running the ‘line up and beat your man’ crap while other teams and schemes were evolving around us. Ones that masked your own deficiencies and exploited those of the opponent, while we just relied on being better at execution, and we weren’t.

We very often got out coached and out schemed when it mattered most, and I can’t even say those days are over with MM. It all just seems like a Jerry’s puppet situation, and that just hasn’t worked….although someone is dedicated to die trying. Thats fairly clear.

Garrett was very open about his lack of interest in trying to keep an offense/defense guessing. Execution over deception was his strategy. Execution, beat your man, take what they give you - all Garrett philosophies. The talent we wasted during his years…

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Do we have any screen plays in our playbook ?
Asking for a friend...

terra

Reaction score
Having watched Air Coryell live and fresh, there is no way KM could carry his clip board.