What does Cooper Rush bring to this team?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He's got to be one of the worst backup QBs in the league. Guys like Mark Sanchez and Matt Hasselbeck bounce around the league forever, because they have starting experience and can see the field. It's almost like having an extra coach.

Rush doesn't have starting experience that translates to games or seeing the field as a backup. His skills haven't really improved since he came into the league. Every ball he throws floats forever. No zip at all. He has a long windup, although he does seem to be reasonably accurate, but that's the only trait I can think of that is a positive. He doesn't really have much pocket presence or agility.

I know the peanut gallery will say we are screwed if Dak goes down, but what if it is just a couple of games and we need someone to keep us relevant? I don't think Rush is the guy to do that.

T-RO

Reaction score
He doesn't have a strong arm nor uber athletic for sure, but he is far from the worst backup in the league. Nobody paying attention to the league and QB's like the one Houston rolled out last night...would suggest that.

Sees the field well, anticipates, is accurate and moves decently well.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To me, both Rush and Dak present living proof of the appreciable work that Kitna has done in his QB coaching role. Under Moore, both Prescott and Rush's abilities were lessened, while Kitna's influence actually appeared to aid their causes significantly. He's definitely a keeper in that role, imho. In both cases, their delivery times noticeably improved, with much better footwork and their accuracy also progressed very nicely.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's got to be one of the worst backup QBs in the league. Guys like Mark Sanchez and Matt Hasselbeck bounce around the league forever, because they have starting experience and can see the field. It's almost like having an extra coach.

Rush doesn't have starting experience that translates to games or seeing the field as a backup. His skills haven't really improved since he came into the league. Every ball he throws floats forever. No zip at all. He has a long windup, although he does seem to be reasonably accurate, but that's the only trait I can think of that is a positive. He doesn't really have much pocket presence or agility.

I know the peanut gallery will say we are screwed if Dak goes down, but what if it is just a couple of games and we need someone to keep us relevant? I don't think Rush is the guy to do that.

Rush is 41 of 67 (~62%) for this preseason.

Journeyman backup QBs with starting experience are generally over-rated.

Occasionally one like Foles is good, but more often teams get a 2015 Matt Cassel performance.

Ideally the backup would be a young QB with more upside.

Physically, Mike White had that potential, but he just doesn't have enough "moxie" to play QB in the NFL based on what we've seen from camp practices and the PS games.

Better to just save the money and keep Rush on a cheap contract.

They should consider finding another potential upside QB next year to bring to camp in place of White.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A decent backup QB can win you a game...maybe two in a pinch assuming he isn’t a turnover machine making highlight reels for butt fumbles and other laughable miscues. If there is good coaching surrounding him, a game or two of competence can occur.

But If your starter goes down for the year in October, unless you have a proven veteran backup who has been a starter before, or a stud youngster in the making, or you have a completely dominant defense, your season is probably in jeopardy.

Cooper Rush may have graduated from below average to decent. He’ll never be a starter in this league but I have seen some progress. He may be good for a game or two if Dak was out for a short spell.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If Romo were still playing, you could just enter Dak's name into this thread and most of it would be applicable.

Rush hasnt thrown a pass(am I mistaken?) in a real game?

So until he is given a chance, we dont know what he can do. He has looked pretty damn good this pre season IMO.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
One thing that's true is that he doesn't have any experience at all, once the preseason is over he goes right back to the bench until next spring. Backups basically get zero first team reps during the season and the coaches don't care about them.
The last two years have had meaningless games during Week 17... it might have been good for Rush to play in a real game. But Garrett has Dak running around in them like he's got money on the outcome...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Rush > Sanchez. Butt fumble played the worst game of his career for us in 2016 and I'm sure he's worse now.

I'd take Rush over him in a heartbeat. Rush is great on his 1st and 2nd reads, he's slow after that, but that typically gets better with experience. He'll do for now.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A decent backup QB can win you a game...maybe two in a pinch assuming he isn’t a turnover machine making highlight reels for butt fumbles and other laughable miscues. If there is good coaching surrounding him, a game or two of competence can occur.

But If your starter goes down for the year in October, unless you have a proven veteran backup who has been a starter before, or a stud youngster in the making, or you have a completely dominant defense, your season is probably in jeopardy.

Cooper Rush may have graduated from below average to decent. He’ll never be a starter in this league but I have seen some progress. He may be good for a game or two if Dak was out for a short spell.

Agreed -- I really wouldn't have relished seeing Rush fill in for Dak last year but this year presents a different picture, entirely! The stark change in his delivery time and accuracy are significantly better. I wouldn't hesitate to put him in if something happened to Dak. That surely presents a big change.

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
a decent back up option that has the ability to hold down the fort and win until Dak comes back. That's what he offers. Lets hope we don't have to find out.

What?! What in the world have you been watching? Rush couldn't be trusted to hold it down for one quarter, much less games. There are not many backup QBs who can do what you described and Cooper Rush isn't even close to being that. This team would lose every single game he started. Matt Cassel is 10x the QB he is and we couldn't win with him. And he won 11 games as a starter in 2008.Cooper is a bum that doesn't even belong as a backup.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, but he showed some moxie. I remember Sanchez as being a good mentor but not clutch as a backup.

quickccc

Reaction score
a decent back up option that has the ability to hold down the fort and win until Dak comes back. That's what he offers. Lets hope we don't have to find out.

should Da suffer a concussion and forced to miss a game, we would hope Rush has enough savvy and poise enough to bus drive
manage just enough to allow us a chance to win.

jason garrett as a backup QB in his dayz for us was a floater too, but was an example as a capable game manager.
And a good OC will turn to the plays that work best for Rush and limit the plays that doesn't work best for him.
and everything else would have to work around Rush, such as a strong run game, and defense that allows us to stay close in the game.

what i have seen from Cooper Rush that has been day and night difference from last year is much better decision making and accuracy, sure he's floating and loafing passes in spots and open pockets, but yet the ball is still getting pushed downfield and not dink -dunking around the line. Like Dak, he is also not holding the ball forever and taking sacks , and he's not making killer turnovers. He's still moving his team and he's getting them in scoring position.

i tend to think the new addition of QB coach Jon Kitna is paying off huge dividends for the first two QBs - quick set, quick reads and more quickly gettign the ball outta their throwing hands. - and we are pushing the ball downfield at that.

Gaede

Reaction score
Dude has Kellen Moore-like arm strength. Looked like he was playing catch with his kid out there last night.

If he sees any time as a starter, we are doomed