Video: What does Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott need to improve upon in 2017

Jeffkills

Reaction score
I remember someone quoting Dak as saying he'd NEVER met anyone who prepares harder or more than him.

That's a pretty bold statement, and I believe him..

There's room for improvement across the board, but I don't see any sophmore slump coming his way..

Sage3030

Reaction score
I know he had the high completion percentage, but I think he needs a little work on ball placement to receivers.

There were plenty of throws that were caught, and could have gone for much longer gains, but because of the ball placement, the play didn't.

They even showed one in the video. The pass to Beasley where he almost scores, he had a step on the db, but because the placement of the ball was behind him, he didn't score. Drop it in front of him(like you see him do to Dez in the same video)and it's a TD(just like Dez's was).

This does happen to qbs from time to time, but it seemed way more often than time to time would suggest.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He's been working all offseason on improving his footwork, getting quicker reads on defenses and getting in sync with his receivers.

We'll be obliged to determine exactly what his status is currently before we can accurately judge where he needs to improve. TC practices should reveal that to us all once it commences on July 25th.

Right now, we haven't had the opportunity to accurately determine Dak's state of preparation, although I suspect he has already improved his game readiness somewhat noticeably over what it was last year.

The preseason games will tell us even more of what we need to know than practice will. I'm anticipating that we'll all be quite pleased with his progress. Just as he, himself has stated, nobody works harder to improve than he does.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think some of the things Dak can improve just come with more experience. Making quicker reads but overall I think his play was beyond a rookie and frankly better than many vet QB. He protected the ball and was highly accurate at 67%, his 4 ints on the season was the 2nd best amongst starting QB the 1st was Brady. As for some stats like total passing yards I think as long as Dallas remains balanced his overall yardage passing will be less than other QB who pass more often.

I do think he needs to improve keeping the ball protected better when he is in the pocket, he had some balls knocked out of his hands

jday

Reaction score
I think some of the things Dak can improve just come with more experience. Making quicker reads but overall I think his play was beyond a rookie and frankly better than many vet QB. He protected the ball and was highly accurate at 67%, his 4 ints on the season was the 2nd best amongst starting QB the 1st was Brady. As for some stats like total passing yards I think as long as Dallas remains balanced his overall yardage passing will be less than other QB who pass more often.

I do think he needs to improve keeping the ball protected better when he is in the pocket, he had some balls knocked out of his hands
I really liked this video in particular, because throughout the offseason we've seen and heard the narrative; the book is out on him...defenses will have a better understanding of the ideal way to attack him. The problem is when most of the so-called "experts" make these assertions is they rarely provide specifics as to what they'll be attacking nor do they provide evidence.

Granted, this tape only provides two examples of the same thing that happened in the same game which does beg the question was this really an issue for him throughout the season? Truth be told, however, it doesn't matter if it was or not. Because now that there is tape indicating he does struggle with certain defensive looks, every defense we face this year will likely employ that same look at some point in effort to trip him up.

The good news is, as the analyst intimated in the video, there is ample time for him to get this corrected and Dak does not seem to be one to rest on his laurels. You can bet they will get this fixed.

jday

Reaction score
He's been working all offseason on improving his footwork, getting quicker reads on defenses and getting in sync with his receivers.

We'll be obliged to determine exactly what his status is currently before we can accurately judge where he needs to improve. TC practices should reveal that to us all once it commences on July 25th.

Right now, we haven't had the opportunity to accurately determine Dak's state of preparation, although I suspect he has already improved his game readiness somewhat noticeably over what it was last year.

The preseason games will tell us even more of what we need to know than practice will. I'm anticipating that we'll all be quite pleased with his progress. Just as he, himself has stated, nobody works harder to improve than he does.
Truth be told, I don't think we will have a true handle on Dak's improvements until the regular season. Unless you are planning on actually sitting on the sidelines at training camp, it will be hard to determine improvement and in preseason, considering that is more about evaluation of the bottom of the roster guys, very few opposing defenses will be seeking to expose Dak's weaknesses in game that otherwise doesn't matter.

Come the regular season, though, all bets are off. You can bet throughout the offseason every D Coordinator for teams we face in the regular season has already watched every snap taken by Dak in 2016. If the guy in the video picked up on this weakness, you can bet they have a spiral notebook full of ways to test Dak's preparation. The Giants will certainly be a big test, but it will by no means be his final.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mea Culpa, my friends -- I neglected to mention in my previous post that Dak has worked tediously to improve his accuracy. That, of course, is a special something that should prove to be of vital importance to himself and the team also, just as is the case for any NFL quarterback. I think Troy Aikman (and anyone else) would approve wholeheartedly of that effort as being encouraging. :)

Last edited:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
One thing that should be noted is that I really don't like our schematics of the passing game inside the red zone. Not saying that Dak didn't make mistakes in the red zone, but I don't think it's helped by our play design.

YR