Video: What does Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott need to improve upon in 2017

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've thought about doing a regional type coverage of local sports stars. This involving attending a ton of team games and taking a ton of pictures to be presented in a single year book type binding, and sold to teams as incentive for achievements. Some real return and ego boosting, but something to also cherish as one grows older, or are a parent. It could really be developed and your programs would greatly assist the quality of year progression for a player and his team. It would add to team pride and reward for individual sacrifices and dreams.
If you decide to do that, i can direct tou to a couple of guys down here that can probably help you out.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nice video. The roster that I printed shows #76 to be Richard Ash -- that was some blow he put on that player that was sent airborne! At first, I thought it might be Zack Martin 'til I used my magnifying glass to discover otherwise. Good stuff.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Nice video. The roster that I printed shows #76 to be Richard Ash -- that was some blow he put on that player that was sent airborne! At first, I thought it might be Zack Martin 'til I used my magnifying glass to discover otherwise. Good stuff.

The oft' injured Chicago Bears tackle, that resurrected his career under Bill Parcells...but not Ash.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The oft' injured Chicago Bears tackle, that resurrected his career under Bill Parcells...but not Ash.

OK, I see -- must've been an older video there. I used a current roster to get that number 76 from. Helluva shot he put on #21, though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I really liked this video in particular, because throughout the offseason we've seen and heard the narrative; the book is out on him...defenses will have a better understanding of the ideal way to attack him. The problem is when most of the so-called "experts" make these assertions is they rarely provide specifics as to what they'll be attacking nor do they provide evidence.

Granted, this tape only provides two examples of the same thing that happened in the same game which does beg the question was this really an issue for him throughout the season? Truth be told, however, it doesn't matter if it was or not. Because now that there is tape indicating he does struggle with certain defensive looks, every defense we face this year will likely employ that same look at some point in effort to trip him up.

The good news is, as the analyst intimated in the video, there is ample time for him to get this corrected and Dak does not seem to be one to rest on his laurels. You can bet they will get this fixed.

As I said I think much of it comes with experience. If there truly were a so called book on him he would not have hurt Det the way he did or have a very good game vs GB. Fact is Minn one of the game he had a hard time in was ranked #3 defense in the league and 3rd vs the pass, bottom line they are a very good defense and create problems for QB not just Dak. In the end Dallas was able to beat Minn. I also think Dak like any QB will have days that he is just off it is just part of being human however as in the case with Minn, Dak still made some critical plays to help his team win. Not pretty but a win is a win and even the best QB know this.

CCBoy

Reaction score
As I said I think much of it comes with experience. If there truly were a so called book on him he would not have hurt Det the way he did or have a very good game vs GB. Fact is Minn one of the game he had a hard time in was ranked #3 defense in the league and 3rd vs the pass, bottom line they are a very good defense and create problems for QB not just Dak. In the end Dallas was able to beat Minn. I also think Dak like any QB will have days that he is just off it is just part of being human however as in the case with Minn, Dak still made some critical plays to help his team win. Not pretty but a win is a win and even the best QB know this.

lol, I guess that's why it's football and not I.Q. alerting...:)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
lol, I guess that's why it's football and not I.Q. alerting...:)

I just thought is was a bit funny how all of a sudden there was some book out on Dak yet did not seem to slow him up vs Det and then vs GB. GB did not look like they had the same book as Dak put up 302 with 3 TD passes in the game while hitting on 63%. I hate to say it but QB will have off days and they will face great defense that can cause a lot of problems for any QB.

jday

Reaction score
One thing that should be noted is that I really don't like our schematics of the passing game inside the red zone. Not saying that Dak didn't make mistakes in the red zone, but I don't think it's helped by our play design.

YR
You might be on to something there, Yakuza. But by the same token, we also have to keep in mind that in a matter of a few weeks following Romo's injury, Linehan pretty much had to scrap our normal Romo-friendly-playbook and recreate one for Dak. I doubt going into that season they had a specific handle on concepts Dak would struggle with and others he would knock out of the park.

I suspect in their year in review meetings following last season, Linehan and company have taken note of these struggles and have already created a gameplan to either improve Dak and/or improve the playbook to maximize what Dak does well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You might be on to something there, Yakuza. But by the same token, we also have to keep in mind that in a matter of a few weeks following Romo's injury, Linehan pretty much had to scrap our normal Romo-friendly-playbook and recreate one for Dak. I doubt going into that season they had a specific handle on concepts Dak would struggle with and others he would knock out of the park.

I suspect in their year in review meetings following last season, Linehan and company have taken note of these struggles and have already created a gameplan to either improve Dak and/or improve the playbook to maximize what Dak does well.

And some additional talent being added won't hurt...with health.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I didn't like our schematics in the red zone with Romo either.

YR

plasticman

Reaction score
What they are saying in so many words is that Dak doesn't have to do anything different than what he is already doing which is working hard, practicing and naturally gaining the experience that comes with being a starting quarterback.

Each day he becomes more familiar with teammates, the system, his own abilities and what it takes to win in the NFL. Difficult to beleive it is possible but he is going to get better and better with each week.

The best rookie quarterback of all time has just scratched then surface.

Proximo

Reaction score
I believe play-calling could stand some improvement overall.

1st off- the same could be said for EVERY team in the NFL. Hindsight is always 20/20 when it comes to fans criticizing playcalling.

Secondly, our fantastic playcalling is one of the reasons we won 13 games. Our defense was lacking, and TWO of our most important positions on offense were played by ROOKIES, one of which wasn't expected to start, and the other missed pretty much all of preseason with a hamstring injury.

Our coaching and playcalling were not legitimate areas of opportunity for us. They were in fact a strength.