What does Pollard have to do?

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Pollard is by far the more EXPLOSIVE RB right now but as badly as the O-line is playing at the moment, maybe Zeke's skills in pass protection is what's limiting Pollards opportunities.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would rather the OL not need as much additional support as possible, but I guess that's too much to ask from countless high draft picks and big contracts.

This is the Martellus Bennet situation all over again, but with RB roles and slightly reversed. When Bennet was in the game, teams could basically count on the play being a run. It was like 60/40 in terms of run/pass, and when they did pass they just needed to put their weakest pass defender on the guy because he was never thrown the ball. That's how you average 2 targets/game and 15 yards/game over 4 years. Who respects that? I guarantee you that any defensive coordinator would sacrifice those numbers every week if they could immediately assign their weakest pass defender to that player for the entirety of the game.

In this case, when Zeke is in the game it's probably safe to play the pass because he can't move and is likely blocking. Even if he "breaks" one, he's gonna be run down about 15 yards beyond the LOS. Just play coverage and the odds will favor you against a hobbled RB.

He needs to sit until he's healed, and even then I would say Pollard needs at minimum a 50/50 split. Pollard is working, and Zeke is not. Even under the premise that Zeke is a better block, why not just run more? Better running inherently yields results in its own right.

Yeah.. You know I’ve thought Zeke much more quick and explosive this year compared to the last couple of years but I think he’s just so hobbled right now but Dallas is just being painfully stubborn to the point of detriment to our team.

This whole carry the load thing is just silly. Zeke needs a big role on this team but Pollard should be featured and he needs to start drives to get the offense going.

Zeke looks like a 30 year old RB right now who needs to retire because of this injury.

blueblood70

Reaction score
im betting if we wrap up the division by the last game or even 2 that when Zeke will get sat down to get ready for the payoffs..i believe the coaches knows how much these next 3 games mean to the season and don't want to sit zeke as hes still a decoy, much needed blocker, and can run IF and big IF the issue is the OL, they all know it we know it not like pollard was doing much outside one run..

fix the OL!

get Moore to buy into a run game and stick with it MORE THAN 15-19 carries..that's ridiculous and comes up with a better blocking schemes and formations to run out of..i mean seems to me the biggest issue is the OL seems to be playing a lot of man to man block trying to run over people the old Garett way..blame garett all you wan to we can see now that that 20189 finish with the disappearing offense was all Moore bro..it the same issue reoccurring all over again,,big scoring droughts, lack of run game, too many getting cute pass plays that are slow developing against a DL that are getting to dak before he can set his feet and throw..

same chitshow my friend , and anyone who think as this is a zeke issue IS NOT WATCHING..

The biggest issue with this team right now is the OFFENSIVE LINE..

Its not even close..they are why the offense is out of sync.

the way i see it the next 10 days need to be all used to create and repair the OL , ef practicing passing or anything else, line our starting defense 11 on 11 and have DQ go after our offense like irts real game and hes trying to wreck the OL..i say practice like you play and get it right..dont use zeke or pollard as RBs thigh use Clements and the practice squad guys to get feel in this 11-11 just how nice the holes are getting opened. If they can get through them zeke and pollard will eat..

there arent any holes, the rbs are having to make their own , defense is in the backfields and quick..

change is needed..period..zeke would have an easier time if hes not being met at or behind the lone by 2-3 defenders..its sad really and curious where it went wrong given during 6 game win streak we had the run game humming..

I say it on Moore and the OL to get this fixed..the rbs can and will run if they have holes..any holes that Line looks like chic filet drive through all clustered up in ball, what pocket, theres a blob most snaps....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its called having a big contract............Zeke got over $50 million in signing bonus and guaranteed money on his 2nd contract.

And for those thinking Zeke is going to get cut next year, dont plan on it. His $12.4 mill salary for 2022 is fully guaranteed, so the earliest he can be released is 2023 which would result in a net savings of $4.8 mill ($16.7 mill 2023 salary, non guaranteed, and $11.8 dead money, so net savings of about $5 mill).

When you getting paid coin like this, you start.....period.....end of discussion.....dont matter if you hobbling around on one leg, you aint riding pine when you cashing checks like this in the NFL.

Problem is it shouldn't matter. He does a lot of good things and can still have a role but he clearly isn't running upto his standards and that is probably health related. Coaches shouldn't even know salaries, unless they have personnel control then what they make doesn't matter, its how well are they playing. Zeke needs these 10 days just like the OL line needs them to figure out how to block better. I get it, its the same reason the browns hobble baker onto the field, its just stupid.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Pollard needs a productive, complimentary back, to be most effective. Zeke is not healthy and is a substandard player right now. The only thing I see keeping Zeke in the lineup is pass protection.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Dak needs to run the ball in order for the 1 RB formation to work consistently

If not we need 2 rbs in the backfield at times just to mask the play call.

Zeke and Pollard in the backfield w 3 wrs is better than the 11 and 12 formations 100% of the time.

Having two or 3 running and passing options coming out of the backfield is better than 1

The saints have been doing this under Payton since he left Dallas.

We could also run out of a spread formation w 4wrs and 1rb.

It's unfortunate that every single formation we run has to have a Te or 2 in there to water down our Explosiveness and Creativity.

The 11 and 12 personell scheme is a great scheme but When you run it every play for 20 years it gets pretty easy to predict.

If we're gonna stick w the everydown te 1 RB scheme Dak is gonna have to run the ball consistently.

We can't rely on him to just be a good pocket passer lmao.

It's like trying to make a pure passer out of Cam Newton.

Dak needs to quit lollygagging or being scared and run the frickin Ball.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I'm not putting all of the blame on Zeke and Pollard. Because Ive seen how this set it and forget it offensive scheme operates w a non running Qb for years

It always bogs down because there is no element of surprise in our run attack. Maybe if we had a playmaking te core

If Dak doesn't run the fricking ball or the scheme doesn't change then the good defenses will always prevail.

If Pollard doesn't miraculously miss the first tackle for a 5 yard loss using speed this running attack looks like trash. It's definitely been exposed that Dak NEEDS TO RUN MORE OFTEN or we have to use a variety of different schemes.

I've been saying this for 7-8 years. The Everydown te scheme only works if ya have a Dynamic Te or a Running QB.

It will beat some scrub teams handily but the Good teams with good Defenses can shut down a Predictable NEVER CHANGING SCHEME

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Campbell had 1402 carries his first 4 seasons, had 6437 yards and scored 55 TD's, trust me he never wore down, he just kept coming.

What is a full load, well?
You are talking about a guy that had to use a cane in his 40's just to walk. It is so sad what happened to Earl after he quit playing. It is a miracle that he didn't die or kill himself. Just think if he had the extra 3 games a season. A full load is getting the majority of the carries. The game is much different today with the 17 games and the superior athletes. How many years did Demarco Murray last?

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm not putting all of the blame on Zeke and Pollard. Because Ive seen how this set it and forget it offensive scheme operates w a non running Qb for years

It always bogs down because there is no element of surprise in our run attack. Maybe if we had a playmaking te core

If Dak doesn't run the fricking ball or the scheme doesn't change then the good defenses will always prevail.

If Pollard doesn't miraculously miss the first tackle for a 5 yard loss using speed this running attack looks like trash. It's definitely been exposed that Dak NEEDS TO RUN MORE OFTEN
Whatever they do, there is a good chance that they lead the entire league in total offense.

RaZon

Reaction score
You are talking about a guy that had to use a cane in his 40's just to walk. It is so sad what happened to Earl after he quit playing. It is a miracle that he didn't die or kill himself. Just think if he had the extra 3 games a season. A full load is getting the majority of the carries. The game is much different today with the 17 games and the superior athletes. How many years did Demarco Murray last?

Running backs.....lather up....during a game, they get better the longer the games goes, this is a known fact. Nobody is wearing down, ok? Now if ya mean over the years the wear and tear of NFL seasons taking their toll ok there is truth in that. RB's take a beating and if you can get a solid 5/6 seasons out of one....cool! And that really is all ya should expect. Murray played seven.

Pollard is not a bell cow type RB he's not built to be banging NFL lines no more than a Jerry Rice was and it should be obvious. Ya come up with ways to get the guy ot in space, so his speed comes into play, to bang a line with him is stupid.

Earl Campbell a perfect example of a guy who was taking games over in the 4th Q as he beat down defenses wanting no part of this monster.

I played against John Henry Hamilton a 240 pound shot putter for Tulare Union, think Derrick Henry vs HS kids. He broke my face mask, as he trambled me, beat all of us up. Cat was a monster. John Henry could have played all night, we wanted to go home to our mommies.

John Henry starred at COS then off to Northern Arizona, would get a look by the Rams, didn't have the speed.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score
Shouldn't KMoore be answering this question?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Whatever they do, there is a good chance that they lead the entire league in total offense.
Yeah but look at our Schedule.

All of the good teams we beat this year were coinflip games and we should have easily lost. Aka Ne and LA.

The League leaders may have the best stats because of the blowouts against scalawags

But their 3rd down % isn't that great against good teams.

We'd have 6 Losses if the Jared cook TD doesn't get called back on the penalty and Ne Gets a first down at the end of that game. Js

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Running backs.....lather up....during a game, they get better the longer the games goes, this is a known fact. Nobody is wearing down, ok? Now if ya mean over the years the wear and tear of NFL seasons taking their toll ok there is truth in that. RB's take a beating and if you can get a solid 5/6 seasons out of one....cool! And that really is all ya should expect. Murray played seven.

Pollard is not a bell cow type RB he's not built to be banging NFL lines no more than a Jerry Rice was and it should be obvious. Ya come up with ways to get the guy ot in space, so his speed comes into play, to bang a line with him is stupid.

Earl Campbell a perfect example of a guy who was taking games over in the 4th Q as he beat down defenses wanting no part of this monster.

I played against John Henry Hamilton a 240 pound shot putter for Tulare Union, think Derrick Henry vs HS kids. He broke my face mask, as he trambled me, beat all of us up. Cat was a monster. John Henry could have played all night, we wanted to go home to our mommies.

John Henry starred at COS then off to Northern Arizona, would get a look by the Rams, didn't have the speed.

Pollard is more of a Barry Sanders style RB just bigger. He's quick and can change directions or hit the hole and the corners fast and wear ya down with speed. He's shown to be pretty durable and can pick up extra yards after contact.

For the number of snaps he's getting he's third in the NFL at yards per touch. It's hard to deny that stat.

Id like to see what he and Zeke can do in the backfield together working in tandem out of some dual RB formations running and passing.

I don't care who is better. I just want to win. But if I had to choose a starter I'm going with the stats versus the salaries

All I know is I'd rather have Zeke and Pollard on the field more often than a Mediocre te 100% of the time

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Curious if media people read my posts on here and use them as their take sometimes..

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Pollard is more of a Barry Sanders style RB just bigger. He's quick and can change directions or hit the hole and the corners fast and wear ya down with speed. He's shown to be pretty durable and can pick up extra yards after contact.

For the number of snaps he's getting he's third in the NFL at yards per touch. It's hard to deny that stat.

Id like to see what he and Zeke can do in the backfield together working in tandem out of some dual RB formations running and passing.

I don't care who is better. I just want to win. But if I had to choose a starter I'm going with the stats versus the salaries

All I know is I'd rather have Zeke and Pollard on the field more often than a Mediocre te 100% of the time
I don’t understand why they don’t play them together more often especially when Zeke is healthy.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yeah but look at our Schedule.

All of the good teams we beat this year were coinflip games and we should have easily lost. Aka Ne and LA.

The League leaders may have the best stats because of the blowouts against scalawags

But their 3rd down % isn't that great against good teams.

We'd have 6 Losses if the Jared cook TD doesn't get called back on the penalty and Ne Gets a first down at the end of that game. Js
Look at the so called good teams. The Cowboys can certainly compete with them and the Cowboys are getting stronger now.

ArtClink

Reaction score
To earn more opportunities?

After scoring a 58 yard touchdown on a big run in the 3rd quarter one would think he would have more than 2 carries in the final 4 possessions.

Why so few touches after breaking off a long run? This isn't the 1st time Moore has gone away from him. In the KC game, Pollard's 1st touch broke off 31 yards. He then only got 6 other carries.

Outside of pollards big runs he and Zeke have nearly identical yards per carry averages so why not feed the 1 guy who has shown the ability to break off the bigger runs? I'm not saying he needs 20+ carries but 12-15 would seem to be earned.
This is one of the most obvious and most frustrating situations to watch as Jerry gives Zeke more touches than Pollard. Pollard should be the starter and Zeke should be used like we did Marion Barber; keep Zeke fresh in first half w limited touches and unleash him in the second half. But Pollard has become a beast and a legitimate threat to take it to the house every down.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This really isn't the correct question. The real question is, can we release EZ after the season w/o killing the salary cap?
They have to keep or trade him in 2022.

His 2022 salary is guaranteed but his salary will not be guaranteed for 2023.

If traded his 12.2M base salary would go to the new team.

Would a team trade for him even if the Cowboys would take a conditional 7th?
- The new team would get him at 12.2M, 10.9M and 10M for the next 3 seasons with the only commitment being the 2022 guaranteed salary.