What does Spencer mean for Carpenter?

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1476555 said:
YAY! Bradie James begone!

He is stuck with us until next year, unfortunately, his cap hit will be too much for us to be ridden of his prescence as he is only entering into year two of his deal... next year, we will kick his slow "aihse" to the curb.

Spectre

Reaction score
I like James.

shaky play last season but a great guy and needed team leader.

I'm giving him another season before calling for his head.
He had a great 2005.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I think it means that we will have a very very deep linebacking core that will allow for alot of rotations and fresh legs in the 4th quarter as well as th end of the year. Between Ware, Burnette, Ayodel James, Carpenter, Spencer and ellis and Wade leading the way, I see alot of havoc being created with this LB group.

slick325

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1476601 said:
Somebody brought up an interesting idea, I hope this gets to Jerrah; use Bobby Carpenter like New England uses Mike Vrabel... have him do everything, rushing the passer, staying in the box, going out to cover tight ends in nickel formations, just have him constantly moving around, not pigeon-holing him in a certain position; he may be a guy that is not fit for just one mike, sam, and will spot, but EVERY SPOT in the linebacking positions.

I read that in either a blog or in a Dallas sportswriter's Q&A article. It said that Dallas views Carpenter as a Vrabel type player. So basically Dallas got a utility player with a 1st round draft pick in 2006. The Steelers drafted Vrabel in round 3 in 1997 out of Ohio St. and the Pats got him in 2001 as a cheap lower tier free agent. That is exactly how I would expect to acquire a utility player. He was cheap for both the Steelers and Pats salary-wise. Carpenter is costing us 1st round money to be a jack of all trades.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Spectre;1476639 said:
I like James.

shaky play last season but a great guy and needed team leader.

I'm giving him another season before calling for his head.
He had a great 2005.

Great guy and all, he needs to perform better. I think given his physical limitations, that may be asking too much. I don't necessarily want a whole bunch of nice guys on my team; this is frekin' football after all, I am not taking them home for thanksgiving dinner. You need some "crazy" in football players and on football teams, or otherwise football players wouldn't do the things they do on the field and wieght room.

About his 2005 campaign, it was good not "great", but certainly not worth the 20 mil he got; Ayodele is a better player and he was brought in to play for less. James is the least athletic of the linebackers by FAR, he is the odd man out. He will be gone by the end of this season; we would let him go now but his cap hit is too high, we can let him go in the 2008 offseason.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
slick325;1476683 said:
I read that in either a blog or in a Dallas sportswriter's Q&A article. It said that Dallas views Carpenter as a Vrabel type player. So basically Dallas got a utility player with a 1st round draft pick in 2006. The Steelers drafted Vrabel in round 3 in 1997 out of Ohio St. and the Pats got him in 2001 as a cheap lower tier free agent. That is exactly how I would expect to acquire a utility player. He was cheap for both the Steelers and Pats salary-wise. Carpenter is costing us 1st round money to be a jack of all trades.

Blame BP for that pick; I don't really like him all that much, I think he is weak, and not strong enough to take the punishment required in the mike spot... But we are stuck with him. Better he be a jack of all trades than a situational dude who ends up totally busting. I don't really care about Vrabels contract, I know he came in for cheap. But if we can get the same production out of Carp as NE gets out of Vrabel I will be more than happy.

slick325

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1476696 said:
Blame BP for that pick; I don't really like him all that much, I think he is weak, and not strong enough to take the punishment required in the mike spot... But we are stuck with him. Better he be a jack of all trades than a situational dude who ends up totally busting. I don't really care about Vrabels contract, I know he came in for cheap. But if we can get the same production out of Carp as NE gets out of Vrabel I will be more than happy.

Agreed. I hope he gives us Vrabel type production. That would at least ease my fears that he was a throw away pick.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1476719 said:
I highly doubt they give up on him that quickly given what they paid him last year.

For th 4 millionth time he isnt getting paid a ton of money like everone around here thinks.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
smarta5150;1476732 said:
For th 4 millionth time he isnt getting paid a ton of money like everone around here thinks.

He is getting paid enough that no one wants to touch his contract; he is also getting paid enough that if we just cut our losses with him that we would take a decent-sized cap-hit. He is getting paid more than Akin Ayodele, which is more than enough reason for me to say he is getting paid TOO MUCH.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1476763 said:
He is getting paid enough that no one wants to touch his contract; he is also getting paid enough that if we just cut our losses with him that we would take a decent-sized cap-hit. He is getting paid more than Akin Ayodele, which is more than enough reason for me to say he is getting paid TOO MUCH.

He can still be benched so who cares.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Touche...I just don't like wasted money is all, and I get the feeling of that when I think of him...wait, knowing of his imminent benching.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1476811 said:
Touche...I just don't like wasted money is all, and I get the feeling of that when I think of him...wait, knowing of his imminent benching.

He's gonna get paid no matter what... I would just rather him somewhere where he wont hurt us :)

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
hehe...seriously though, smarta5150, who do you think would pick him up? I really am drawin blanks, that might be because I'm burning the midnight oil BTW. Maybe the Jets?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1476832 said:
hehe...seriously though, smarta5150, who do you think would pick him up? I really am drawin blanks, that might be because I'm burning the midnight oil BTW. Maybe the Jets?

No way, the Jets got my boy Harris today in the draft (great pick).

So lets see, who else would want him... hmmm... carry the 1... ummm... drawing a blank.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Spectre;1476434 said:
What does Spencer mean for Carpenter?

It means Brady James just lost his job and we may actually be able to cover Fullbacks now.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
smarta5150;1476845 said:
Isnt that a great feeing?

Seriously, we are stacked. Ware, Spencer, Ayodele, Carp, Burnett. *cough* James *cough* and Ellis. Damn, man, we might just be a carbon-copy of the San Diego defense homerisms aside, as long as Spears and Canty put thier big-boy suits on and get ready to stunt and get to the qb. How the hell are we going to even use burnett in this D? I hope we use him to blitz...maybe he will cover the underneath passes like Donnie Edwards did when SD blitzed ALL THE LINEBACKERS, he may be fast enough. Damn, Carp may get to the qb untouched like in college. Did I mention I am excited about this!?!