What does this defense need to be elite?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
It used to seem like we were just one or two players from having an elite offense. Now, I feel like we can say that about our defense. It's already looking very good, but what do we need to take it over the top?

Here's my opinion:

1) Left cornerback. Anthony Brown has played about as well as he can, but if we can find a high-caliber starting corner to pair with Diggs, it'll be tough for QBs to figure who to attack. The good news is that we might already have that player in Joseph.

2) Interior defensive lineman on the same level as Lawrence and Gregory. I think we've got some decent young tackles in Gallimore and Odighizuwa, but we don't have that disruptor that teams have to scheme against. Maybe the young guys can develop into that kind of player, but it's not a given.

3) Ball-hawking free safety. While we could have the first two positions mentioned already on this team, our options are more limited at FS. Mukuamu is really our only hope there, and it's a big ask for him to become that player. I'm not down on Kazee and Hooker and would like to have at least one return, but any upgrade we'll probably have to come through the draft.

4) Second linebacker to pair with Parsons. LVE hasn't turned into what we hoped when we drafted him. He's most likely gone next year. Maybe Jabril Cox can replace him, but he seems more like a replacement for Neal based on his skill set. If we had a run-destroying linebacker who could cover to line up with Parsons, we'd be very solid in the middle.

Because we have Joseph, I think our focus defensively next year needs to be on those other three positions. What we have this year is more than many of us expected, and maybe with a few more additions, we can get back to Doomsday.
A run stopper or maybe two fat athletic plugs in the middle of the "D" line that can bend, but won't brake!

ICP

Reaction score
I'm kind of thinking if everyone is healthy they already are

lqmac1

Reaction score
It is already elite. You can’t have a pro bowler at every position. Our two best defensive players haven’t even entered their prime yet. We’re going to be a really good defense for a really long time.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
In addition to adding more talent at positions of need, also add Sean Lee, DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib to coaching staff.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Funny I was just thinking about ideal offseason for this D.
I'd prioritize keeping Gregory and Kearse.
Then stud DT in Round 1. Ball Hawk FS and SAM LB on Day 2. (I wanted Pete Werner from Ohio St, last year. He went late 2nd to the Saints and he's been a stud). Someone like that who can play the run on the strong side and cover TEs, share the field with Micah and Jabril but also free Micah to pass rush at times. (Sean Lee would be another prototype). For a FS, I honestly love KCs duo (Mathieu and Thornhill, Remember a lot of us wanted Thornhill in the 2nd a few years back when we reached for Hill)

DTs- First rounder, Gallimore, Osa, Hill
Edge- Tank, Gregory, Basham, Golston
LBs- Micah, Cox, Pete Werner type on Day 2
S- Kearse, Day 2 pick, Hooker or Kazee, Wilson
CBs- Diggs, Joseph, Brown, Lewis, Nashon,

That would really make this D special (deep and young and relatively inexpensive for now)
I know we need some help on the OLine too. I may be open to trading some 2023 picks (especially if we knew we had some good comp picks coming from losing Williams and Gallup) for more 2022 picks and going OLine.
I know everyone mentions replacing Tyron, and I get that with his injury issues, but I think with the way Steele has developed we can milk another year out of Tyron. I know he misses games, but dude is still one of the best Tackles in the game.
I'd like to get bigger and stronger inside. Another road grader inside, either C or G.
I was hoping McG would be an answer, but he sort of failed his audition IMO. Not that I've given up on him or Biadasz. They are inexpensive depth and solid, I just think another stud inside would make us so much better overall. Ron Leary type. Wish Alarcon would develop, he has the strenth I think we need.
I wish we'd convert to 3-4 base and make Micah a full time OLB eliminating the need for much at ILB past Cox and Kearse. Gregory the other OLB and Tank at 5 tech DE, Osa at 3 tech DE and Gallimore at NT. We still have plenty of backups in place. Definitely re-sign Hooker and let Kazee walk. We are loaded at corner.

In addition to adding more talent at positions of need, also add Sean Lee, DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib to coaching staff.
Aqib Talib, really?? Have you heard him commentate games for the last 2 years? The guy talks like he has a brain the size of a walnut. Do not want. You realize the guy tried to off himself in a bar right?

Ware and Lee would be awesome, though.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I wish we'd convert to 3-4 base and make Micah a full time OLB eliminating the need for much at ILB past Cox and Kearse. Gregory the other OLB and Tank at 5 tech DE, Osa at 3 tech DE and Gallimore at NT. We still have plenty of backups in place. Definitely re-sign Hooker and let Kazee walk. We are loaded at corner.

Aqib Talib, really?? Have you heard him commentate games for the last 2 years? The guy talks like he has a brain the size of a walnut. Do not want. You realize the guy tried to off himself in a bar right?

Kearse at 220 will not hold up on the inside.

He would be better off outside.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Kearse at 220 will not hold up on the inside.

He would be better off outside.
Kearse is a great ILB for nickel downs. On base we can play Kearse at SS and draft a guy to play ILB to replace LVE. But Cox is a key contributor going forward and an essentially every down inside linebacker.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Kearse is a great ILB for nickel downs. On base we can play Kearse at SS and draft a guy to play ILB to replace LVE. But Cox is a key contributor going forward and an essentially every down inside linebacker.

We all want Cox to be an eventual starter but your expectations are unrealistic right now.

DQ knows what he's doing, let's trust him.