What does this defense need to be elite?

Loso86

Reaction score
It used to seem like we were just one or two players from having an elite offense. Now, I feel like we can say that about our defense. It's already looking very good, but what do we need to take it over the top?

Here's my opinion:

1) Left cornerback. Anthony Brown has played about as well as he can, but if we can find a high-caliber starting corner to pair with Diggs, it'll be tough for QBs to figure who to attack. The good news is that we might already have that player in Joseph.

2) Interior defensive lineman on the same level as Lawrence and Gregory. I think we've got some decent young tackles in Gallimore and Odighizuwa, but we don't have that disruptor that teams have to scheme against. Maybe the young guys can develop into that kind of player, but it's not a given.

3) Ball-hawking free safety. While we could have the first two positions mentioned already on this team, our options are more limited at FS. Mukuamu is really our only hope there, and it's a big ask for him to become that player. I'm not down on Kazee and Hooker and would like to have at least one return, but any upgrade we'll probably have to come through the draft.

4) Second linebacker to pair with Parsons. LVE hasn't turned into what we hoped when we drafted him. He's most likely gone next year. Maybe Jabril Cox can replace him, but he seems more like a replacement for Neal based on his skill set. If we had a run-destroying linebacker who could cover to line up with Parsons, we'd be very solid in the middle.

Because we have Joseph, I think our focus defensively next year needs to be on those other three positions. What we have this year is more than many of us expected, and maybe with a few more additions, we can get back to Doomsday.
In all honesty, this Defense if going by the numbers seems pretty elite so far. Nobody is giving them their respect either!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
In all honesty, this Defense if going by the numbers seems pretty elite so far. Nobody is giving them their respect either!

Good! Respect is earned...and that would be their mistake...other teams might need to show the Cowboys respect...come meet them. I bet the Dallas Cowboys cannot wait...for a game.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
It used to seem like we were just one or two players from having an elite offense. Now, I feel like we can say that about our defense. It's already looking very good, but what do we need to take it over the top?

Here's my opinion:

1) Left cornerback. Anthony Brown has played about as well as he can, but if we can find a high-caliber starting corner to pair with Diggs, it'll be tough for QBs to figure who to attack. The good news is that we might already have that player in Joseph.

2) Interior defensive lineman on the same level as Lawrence and Gregory. I think we've got some decent young tackles in Gallimore and Odighizuwa, but we don't have that disruptor that teams have to scheme against. Maybe the young guys can develop into that kind of player, but it's not a given.

3) Ball-hawking free safety. While we could have the first two positions mentioned already on this team, our options are more limited at FS. Mukuamu is really our only hope there, and it's a big ask for him to become that player. I'm not down on Kazee and Hooker and would like to have at least one return, but any upgrade we'll probably have to come through the draft.

4) Second linebacker to pair with Parsons. LVE hasn't turned into what we hoped when we drafted him. He's most likely gone next year. Maybe Jabril Cox can replace him, but he seems more like a replacement for Neal based on his skill set. If we had a run-destroying linebacker who could cover to line up with Parsons, we'd be very solid in the middle.

Because we have Joseph, I think our focus defensively next year needs to be on those other three positions. What we have this year is more than many of us expected, and maybe with a few more additions, we can get back to Doomsday.
We need consistent pressure up the middle to help parsons and elite tackling.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Numbers can be very misleading. For example, shutting down the Giants with Mike Glennon at quarterback isn't much of an accomplishment. The question is whether we have the parts to achieve success when we are facing some of the better offenses in this league. Will an Aaron Rodgers be able to pick on an Anthony Brown or an LVE in coverage?

We've faced four of the top 10 offenses in the league. We didn't do so well defensively against Tampa Bay and the LA Chargers, but that was very early in the season. We did better later in the season against Minnesota and Kansas City. Arizona is also in the top 10 in points per game, but the Cardinals have been slumping, so I'm not really sure what that will tell us, either.

There are some areas where we could be improved that might put us in the same conversation with some of the all-time great defenses. Those, to me, are the elite ones. I think some of you consider elite to mean among the best this season. That's where we differ. Elite means defenses that we remember for their greatness, like the Legion of Boom, Monsters of the Midway and our own Doomsday Defense. I don't think we're very far from having one of those, but we've got a few positions that stand in the way, I believe.

plasticman

Reaction score
Has anybody been paying attention these past four weeks?

This defense is elite. It's getting "eliter" every week.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Absolutely. Right now they’re definitely playing like an elite defense. The question is can they maintain it? I certainly hope so and I’m counting on it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I will be extremely surprised if Gregory is not re-signed.

I think the Gregory ship sailed last summer. Surprised me that they never tried to resign him, but we didn't. At all. We don't let guys we like hit the open market and he's not good enough to tag. He's gone.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
An interior DL that can push the pocket and stuff the run.

A Vea clone would be nice.

We have great speed/finesse rushers. We need someone who can quickly and forcefully drive a guard and/or Center into the QB on a regular basis.

Vita Vea would be perfect.

Those kind of players don't come around every draft though.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Bobby Wagner in between Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox would be nice.
Wagner is more likely to follow Quinn to his next team next year, not come to Dallas. I don't dispute he would be a great addition. It's just not happening for the Cowboys.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Stuff the run on a regular basis and get pressure with a four man line.

Exactly, a run stuffing LB who will free up Micah for whatever they want him to do, which is pressure the QB and wreak havoc. They can either draft one or sign one as a FA.....for next season.

kskboys

Reaction score
We do need another LB, but the primary facet of having top flight D's is highly disruptive DT's and an instinctive FS who can cover a ton of ground.

While I do like our DT's, I'm just not sure we have "that guy".

What we don't need is for Jerry to rest on his laurels and start ignoring the DL just because we got a couple guys w/ a pulse. That is what he's done in the past.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think the Gregory ship sailed last summer. Surprised me that they never tried to resign him, but we didn't. At all. We don't let guys we like hit the open market and he's not good enough to tag. He's gone.

I'll be surprised. Jerry doesn't generally let go of players he wants to keep. Usually if you're gone, it's because the front office believes you are not worth the money you'll receive on the market or because it believes it has a suitable replacement. Unless the plan is to permanently move Parsons to rush end, I don't think the team believes it has a suitable replacement. The price could be prohibitive, but I believe they will strike a deal with him before free agency begins because they don't want to tag him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Usually if you're gone, it's because the front office believes you are not worth the money you'll receive on the market or because it believes it has a suitable replacement. Unless the plan is to permanently move Parsons to rush end, I don't think the team believes it has a suitable replacement. The price could be prohibitive, but I believe they will strike a deal with him before free agency begins because they don't want to tag him.

I'm sure they don't want to tag him. But why would Gregory not want to hit the free agent market?

You've hit on all points for why he's gone.

Players cost too much in free agency. Especially pass rush talent.

Making Parsons a permanent pass rusher on pass downs is a no brainer. Maybe not always lined up as a 4-3 DE, but always in there threatening to rush, and sometimes dropping back in coverage. We may go to a 3 down lineman front, with Parsons always presumably blitzing. He's too good a pass rusher not to make pass rush the focus of his role. Coverage LBs are a dime a dozen.

And if they wanted to get Gregory before free agency, this offseason was the time. Yet not a peep on the subject all offseason. Not even a peep during the season. For whatever reason, they seem content to let Gregory move on. And on Gregory's side, once the season is done, why would he opt out of free agency once there is no injury risk to get there? In the offseason, when Gregory's ability to make it to free agency big bucks still had some injury/personal risk, was the time to try to get Gregory on a deal, when he could paint his risk reduction as loyalty to the team.

I'm surprised. I'd thought that surely MR. Genius GM would have been desperate to make good on all the sunk cost into Gregory. But I don't see any inclination toward it.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
A Mike Singletary in the middle.
Sadly, 1985 was 36 years ago.

That kind of one-purpose run stopping thumper doesn't play on >60% of downs in today's NFL.

That kind of player is available in free agency at the bottom of the bargain bin every year.

It's a nickel and dime league. Cox and another fast ILB like him in the 2022 draft to replace Neal + LVE, and we'll have a completely dominant front-7. Heck Kearse is a plenty good ILB in today's NFL.

Reactions: BAT

Robster8989

Reaction score
Funny I was just thinking about ideal offseason for this D.
I'd prioritize keeping Gregory and Kearse.
Then stud DT in Round 1. Ball Hawk FS and SAM LB on Day 2. (I wanted Pete Werner from Ohio St, last year. He went late 2nd to the Saints and he's been a stud). Someone like that who can play the run on the strong side and cover TEs, share the field with Micah and Jabril but also free Micah to pass rush at times. (Sean Lee would be another prototype). For a FS, I honestly love KCs duo (Mathieu and Thornhill, Remember a lot of us wanted Thornhill in the 2nd a few years back when we reached for Hill)

DTs- First rounder, Gallimore, Osa, Hill
Edge- Tank, Gregory, Basham, Golston
LBs- Micah, Cox, Pete Werner type on Day 2
S- Kearse, Day 2 pick, Hooker or Kazee, Wilson
CBs- Diggs, Joseph, Brown, Lewis, Nashon,

That would really make this D special (deep and young and relatively inexpensive for now)
I know we need some help on the OLine too. I may be open to trading some 2023 picks (especially if we knew we had some good comp picks coming from losing Williams and Gallup) for more 2022 picks and going OLine.
I know everyone mentions replacing Tyron, and I get that with his injury issues, but I think with the way Steele has developed we can milk another year out of Tyron. I know he misses games, but dude is still one of the best Tackles in the game.
I'd like to get bigger and stronger inside. Another road grader inside, either C or G.
I was hoping McG would be an answer, but he sort of failed his audition IMO. Not that I've given up on him or Biadasz. They are inexpensive depth and solid, I just think another stud inside would make us so much better overall. Ron Leary type. Wish Alarcon would develop, he has the strenth I think we need.

Reactions: BAT