CFZ What Does This Tell Us?

plasticman

Reaction score
Since 2000, the Cowboys have drafted a total of 30 players that have made at least one Pro Bowl. These players have combined for 92 Pro Bowls. During those same, most recent 23 drafts, the Eagles have selected 21 players with at least one Pro Bowl for a combined total of 48 Pro Bowls.

The Cowboys have a third more Pro Bowlers with almost double the combined Pro Bowls compared to the Eagles.

Furthermore:

Cowboys drafted since 2000 have produced 180 times that a draft pick was the starter for a particular season. In total, they participated in 3515 games

The Eagles, meanwhile, have produced 132 starts for their picks in the same drafts with a total participation of 2469 games.

And yet:

The Eagles have made the playoffs 15 times since 2000, playing in 7 conference championship games and 2 Super Bowls.

The Cowboys have made the playoffs 9 times since 2000.

How is this possible?

The Cowboys looked to be drafting better than the Eagles since 2000. The Eagles seem to do better with less. Again, how is this possible?

In my opinion, there are two possibilities. One of them would be poor management of both the salary cap and veteran free agency. The other would be poor coaching with an emphasis on gameplanning.

Obviously, the Cowboys had superior talent in the draft. Considering the results, this could be a case of coaches not knowing how to deploy their weapons, poor strategy. Then again, it could be poor free agency choices, trades, or contracts. It could be very poor cap management.

Clearly, it's not a matter of talent from the draft. What do you think it is?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It tells me Pro Bowls, voted in part by fans, mean nothing. If you think Pro Bowl votes are draft grades that's another matter, but can we stop looking for excuses?

The Cowboys have two constants since their last Super Bowl - Jerry and Stephen Jones in charge of personnel decisions.

It's pretty damn obvious, unless you're looking for scapegoats to make you feel better. They are the problem, and they are still in charge.

But get excited about Cooks and Gilmore. Surely, the two old clowns have cracked the code. I'll believe it when I see it. Not before. :rolleyes:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do posters go out of their way to find obscure meaningless info to degrade the team. When they could be looking for more useful facts that build the team up. For going into the next season. As opposed to dwelling on the past 28 years...yadda, yada, yada.....

I agree, ever since they allowed fans to vote for pro bowls, it got even worse. Used to be a players and coaches system. I remember fans complaining as to why did player X get voted in, he did not deserve it. and at times it was true, as they were voted I by reputation of past years. I have not done the on-line NFL pro bowl voting for the past 10 years or more.

I remember going the the Cincinnati Reds games as a kid. We went to about 10 to 20 games a year during the 70's. They would put out the all-star voting ballots. Everyone including some adults would grab a handful, and then punch in every Reds player on it, deserving or not over another.
However one year they did deserve it mid 70's, when I think 6 or 7 of the starters were Reds.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Since 2000, the Cowboys have drafted a total of 30 players that have made at least one Pro Bowl. These players have combined for 92 Pro Bowls. During those same, most recent 23 drafts, the Eagles have selected 21 players with at least one Pro Bowl for a combined total of 48 Pro Bowls.

The Cowboys have a third more Pro Bowlers with almost double the combined Pro Bowls compared to the Eagles.

Furthermore:

Cowboys drafted since 2000 have produced 180 times that a draft pick was the starter for a particular season. In total, they participated in 3515 games

The Eagles, meanwhile, have produced 132 starts for their picks in the same drafts with a total participation of 2469 games.

And yet:

The Eagles have made the playoffs 15 times since 2000, playing in 7 conference championship games and 2 Super Bowls.

How is this possible?

The Cowboys looked to be drafting better than the Eagles since 2000. The Eagles seem to do better with less. Again, how is this possible?

In my opinion, there are two possibilities. One of them would be poor management of both the salary cap and veteran free agency. The other would be poor coaching with an emphasis on gameplanning.

Obviously, the Cowboys had superior talent in the draft. Considering the results, this could be a case of coaches not knowing how to deploy their weapons, poor strategy. Then again, it could be poor free agency choices, trades, or contracts. It could be very poor cap management.

Two words
Front Office.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Why do posters go out of their way to find obscure meaningless info to degrade the team. When they could be looking for more useful facts that build the team up. For going into the next season. As opposed to dwelling on the past 28 years...yadda, yada, yada.....

I agree, ever since they allowed fans to vote for pro bowls, it got even worse. Used to be a players and coaches system. I remember fans complaining as to why did player X get voted in, he did not deserve it. and at times it was true, as they were voted I by reputation of past years. I have not done the on-line NFL pro bowl voting for the past 10 years or more.

I remember going the the Cincinnati Reds games as a kid. We went to about 10 to 20 games a year during the 70's. They would put out the all-star voting ballots. Everyone including some adults would grab a handful, and then punch in every Reds player on it, deserving or not over another.
However one year they did deserve it mid 70's, when I think 6 or 7 of the starters were Reds.

Because we miss Jimmy

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Furthermore:

And yet:

How is this possible?

probowls are no longer measure of success for NFL players. its a popularity contest.

and eagles owner is better than Jerry jones. Jerry wasted 10 years on garrett. wouldn't fire him his last two years, because he would have to pay his salary.

we don't make football decisions. we make money decisions. we are worth 3, 4 times as much as eagles.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just more evidence of what we already know - that the pro bowl is a joke.

The Cowboys are the most popular team in the league. Makes sense they could have the most pro bowl players.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
YOU MEAN THAT TWO HAND WASTE OF TIME GAME THEY PLAYED FOR YEARS? GAME WAS SO GOOD, THEY HAD TO ADD OTHER GAMES SO FANS COULD ENJOY IT! :confused:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Furthermore:

And yet:

How is this possible?

You hit both issues.
Our front office has been incompetent regarding free agency and trades.
And incompetent regarding head coaching.
What other NFL team would have wasted 10 years on Garrett?
This is all on Jerry trying to prove he is an NFL football man.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I think it could be a lot of things, but I think we should start with coaches. From 2000, Philly's longest serving coach was Andy Reid (1999-2012). Us? Jason Garret 2010-2019. No contest there.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Furthermore:

And yet:

How is this possible?

There’s no question our drafts have greatly improved since Will McClay was put in charge of draft preparation. But…we have acquired enough talent to perform much better than we have in the playoffs. So why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

It’s probably a combination of things but it has to start with the Jones boys and the very high level of involvement they have with everything from being at coaches meetings to selecting which hot dogs are served at the stayjum. Jerry has never understood that his micro-involvement is detrimental to his team’s performance.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The MASSIVE difference between us and the Eag's is that they aren't afraid to retool and more likely to reinvest the draft picks in trades. They are in the final year of an All-In period, after which I assume they trade what they have left and build from the plethora of recent 1st Rd picks.

ESisback

Reaction score
It tells me Pro Bowls, voted in part by fans, mean nothing. If you think Pro Bowl votes are draft grades that's another matter, but can we stop looking for excuses?

The Cowboys have two constants since their last Super Bowl - Jerry and Stephen Jones in charge of personnel decisions.

It's pretty damn obvious, unless you're looking for scapegoats to make you feel better. They are the problem, and they are still in charge.

But get excited about Cooks and Gilmore. Surely, the two old clowns have cracked the code. I'll believe it when I see it. Not before. :rolleyes:
So until I have a new Super Bowl ring to strut about at the water cooler, I’m all “WAAAAHHH!”

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think it could be a lot of things, but I think we should start with coaches. From 2000, Philly's longest serving coach was Andy Reid (1999-2012). Us? Jason Garret 2010-2019. No contest there.
I mean….this is all that needs to be said. I don’t know how good Sirianni is but Reid was a damn good coach. And while I think Peterson was somewhat overrated he at least had a great staff to help him.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
It's the front office ....... There way of running this organization by having a council with Jerry at the head actually works in drafting talented players. But they draft said talented players in bunches with no thought of team building.

While Jimmy Johnson was defacto GM he spent first round picks on a QB Troy Aikman and drafted 2 DT in the first round with a goal in mind.

Jerry thinks if he drafts talented guys the coaches should be able to do something with them and always tries to find a QB and DT the cheap way ....... You know how he said he loves when he finds that **********. There is never a long term plan ....... They try something for a little while and then try something else.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Furthermore:

And yet:

How is this possible?

We haven't had a hard-core coaching staff since in over 25 years. We've hired buddies from within or coaches with a name that don't have anything to prove or any innovative schemes.
They also don't seem to hold players accountable.
Is it Jerry's fault? More than likely, but I also blame the coach. If he's willing to compromise himself for a job where he can't be in charge.....that's on him.