What ever happened to the O-line standing up before they got set & why did they do it

skinsscalper

Reaction score
starfrombirth;2907909 said:
I agree. His false starts kill drives and his failure to block almost got romo killed the last 2 years. Thanks for reminding me.

You can continue to dabble in idiocy if you choose, but the biggest offender of false starts on this team the past couple of seasons has been none other than Jason Witten. But, hell, who needs facts anyway.

Steps

Reaction score
Actually the reason was to give the linemen one last peek at the defensive alignment prior to the snap.

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
Steps;2908656 said:
Actually the reason was to give the linemen one last peek at the defensive alignment prior to the snap.

Perhaps that was a additional reason but the main reason was to disguise the backfield shifts. Landry talked about whenever he was asked and as I remember it was always about hiding his backfield shifts.

Football fans from the 1970's and 80's especially will remember a unique maneuver done primarily by the Dallas Cowboys. Sometimes referred to as the "Landry Shift", as it was developed and put into practice by then Cowboys coach Tom Landry, it baffled some fans who were forced to wonder what its purpose was as no other team did it.

The maneuver worked like this: the Cowboys would break huddle and come up to the line of scrimmage and set up in their initial offensive formation. Simultaneously all five offensive linemen would then stand up vertically and then go down to their three-point, or otherwise assigned, stance. The purpose of this was to disguise the realignment of the running backs that was going on at the same time. For instance the Cowboys offense might line up in an I-formation and then shift, partially obscured by the tall offensive linemen that were standing up at this point, into a split backfield or offset I-formation.
http://ezinearticles.com/?That-Strange-Up-And-Down-Thing-The-Cowboys-Once-Did&id=798594

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
An example from one of the vids I posted last week.

[youtube]7612S0Tb0Nk[/youtube]

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2908375 said:
You can continue to dabble in idiocy if you choose, but the biggest offender of false starts on this team the past couple of seasons has been none other than Jason Witten. But, hell, who needs facts anyway.

cut him immediately...we cant possibly win with scrubs like him and Adams

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
yimyammer;2907749 said:
Anyone old enough to remember how our offensive line used to kind of stand up in unison as they began a play?

What was the purpose of that and why did they stop doing it?

I have a problem with this since I do remember it.:D