What ever happened to the O-line standing up before they got set & why did they do it

yimyammer

Reaction score
Anyone old enough to remember how our offensive line used to kind of stand up in unison as they began a play?

What was the purpose of that and why did they stop doing it?

batman36

Reaction score
Coach Landry said many years ago the purpose was to confuse the defense prior to the ball being snapped. I just thought it looked good! It left with his regime, although the '89 team used it briefly early on. Good question on your part.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Flo and Bigg would die of exhaustion if they had to do that before every snap.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
yimyammer;2907749 said:
Anyone old enough to remember how our offensive line used to kind of stand up in unison as they began a play?

Flozel still does it, gets him a flag everytime.

kmp77

Reaction score
Please don't ask Flo to do anything more...he's already confused on what he has to do now!

Rudy

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2907758 said:
Flozel still does it, gets him a flag everytime.

Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread!:laugh2:

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
yimyammer;2907749 said:

What was the purpose of that and why did they stop doing it?

Landry used the offensive line stand and set move as a screen to divert attention from the backfield shifts, That was its purpose.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kmp77;2907759 said:
Please don't ask Flo to do anything more...he's already confused on what he has to do now!

yeah he's horrible...we should just cut him now

:rolleyes:

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
I used to love to see them do that when I was a kid. Then Dorsett would break one

Nav22

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy how much Flozell is ripped by Cowboys fans?

Oh, except for in 2005 after he tore his ACL and we struggled all year trying to replace him. Nobody took him for granted then.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Tennione72;2907886 said:
I used to love to see them do that when I was a kid. Then Dorsett would break one

It was something that made the Cowboys special. I'll bet other teams, especially the Commanders, hated it.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
dbair1967;2907822 said:

:rolleyes:

I agree. His false starts kill drives and his failure to block almost got romo killed the last 2 years. Thanks for reminding me.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Next_years_Champs;2907819 said:
Landry used the offensive line stand and set move as a screen to divert attention from the backfield shifts, That was its purpose.

Exactly right. It was just one more reason why Landry was such a football genius. Small things like that made us so unique and set us apart from everyone else.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boy, how I used to love that. The entire O-Line would rise and reset in unison. It was perfect choreography with the star glistening on the sides of their helmets. Even the haters had to be thinking to themselves, "Damn, that's sweet."

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Oh that is news to me... I thought we stopped doing because we can't get Procter to stand up even if the ball is snapped?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Next_years_Champs;2907819 said:

That's what I remember it was for also.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah Landry was special. Wish they would make the "set" a part of our team just to honor his memory if nothing else. :(

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
starfrombirth;2907909 said:
I agree. His false starts kill drives and his failure to block almost got romo killed the last 2 years. Thanks for reminding me.

dude...just stop

2007 almost nobody got around/by him, he had a great yr.

Last yr he played with one arm most of the season.

He's having a great camp and preseason this yr.