What exactly does it take to get a holding call nowadays?

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2263305 said:
I would at least like to hear Pierra (sp) (the head of officiating that comes on NFL Network every Wednesday) explain a few of the calls we saw not just in our game but the whole weekend.

Some of the refs deserve to be suspended IMO. Maybe that will serve as a wake up call for the other refs.

Espn radio had Mike Parera on this morning. He was saying that Ed Hockerly (sp?) would be graded down for his call against the Chargers. They use this grading system to determine playoff crews and what not. Said that they have about 1800 calls to grade from this weekend.

Parera did mention the Jackson fumble at the goalline as one to be reviewed.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I rant on this all the time, but IMO it's the concerted effort by the league to encourage offense. Blatant holding is basically allowed while touching a WR six yards down the field or a D-lineman getting his hands momentarily on an O-lineman's facemask is a free first down. Ticky-tack contact down the field can give an offense 30, 40 or more yards on a pass that never would have been completed. The list goes on.

There's a reason scoring in the NFL has exploded the last few years. You can go back and see the minutes from the post Pats/Rams Superbowl year where Rich McKay tells the competition committee that scoring was up just like they had hoped would happen when they changed enforcement of the contact rule. That was when Peyton Manning and Culpepper went berserk... And just a few years later, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, and others did the same. Coincidence? Of course not.

Most of the lower-scoring games you see later in the year have some kind of weather component with rain and/or strong winds. But in today's NFL, in early season games when the weather is nice and players aren't yet beat up, you almost can't stop a good offense that's on its game. All the rules are set up to help them more and more, because the league thinks that we simpleminded fans believe higher-scoring games equal better games.

But we're not all Tony Kornheiser. Some of us hate pinball-like scoreboards and love defensive football. And as one of those people, the orchestrated effort to change the game and create more offense makes me sick... But it's the way it is today.

TraceActions

Reaction score
Lets not forget the TWO obvious face mask penalties that didn't get called on the Cowboys.
There were bad calls on both sides. Don't make it sound like only Dallas was on the wrong side of bad calls.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
TraceActions;2263353 said:
Lets not forget the TWO obvious face mask penalties that didn't get called on the Cowboys.
There were bad calls on both sides. Don't make it sound like only Dallas was on the wrong side of bad calls.

There was also at least one, on Westbrook, that should have been called.

superonyx

Reaction score

The problem is the nature of the penalties that get called on the boys.
Like it or not Romo was clubbed in the face and it was never called. Yet they called a questionable holding penalty that took away a pass to TO that went for about 40 yards. And another meaningless hands to the face call that was so far away from the play and had nothing to do with the play.
It has become extremely hard to stomach these calls.

Yes they missed a facemask call.
What about Marion Barber getting horse collared and it not being called?

The league needs to make pass interference calls in the end zone a reviewable call. It give a free touchdown. So they need to address the potential for human error to cost a team a game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I thought that this was a very poorly officiated game. I recall a hot read by Romo on a blitz where he got the ball off, the defender went to Romo's head, after the ball was gone and nothing was called. Not a late hit, not hands to the head, nothing. It felt very one sided but it could just be me.

It could just be that I was looking for it because I'm a Cowboy fan. However, it sure didn't seem that way.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I'm so glad this thread is here. I could not believe how blatant the holds were all night. This defense would've had at LEAST 6 sacks. Ratliff was flat out tackled more than once. Ware didn't stand a chance.

The flippin ref. on the play SP highlighted was standing no more than 5 feet from both of those holds and then had the stones to signal touchdown.

How obvious was it they were trying to dictate the game with the "NON-PI" call cause the ball was "tipped"? Two refs standing right there and they could'nt see the ball was not tipped. What were they looking for? Holding infractions? Joke.

This crew needs a good plowing under or laser surgery.

I'm done with this topic.

Signed,
Completely disgusted.

zeromaster

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2263237 said:
What you have to do to get a holding call is...put on a Cowboys jersey. Then they'll call holding on you all day long.
Q F T W

FCBarca

Reaction score
vta;2263244 said:
That whole series was Ref induced, with their poor performance.

First the bogus PI call on Henry, to set up that fiasco, with Jenkins being held in front of the Ref.

It happens. I'm just glad the Cowboys are good enough to overcome that sort of garbage.

Exactly...It was a pretty bizarre sequence of officiating from the refs, IMHO...The PI call was just terrible, should've clearly been the other way and the holding call right in front of the ref as well?...Just nonsense.

Moments like that that simply fuel the theories that the 'fix' is in

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2263438 said:
I thought that this was a very poorly officiated game. I recall a hot read by Romo on a blitz where he got the ball off, the defender went to Romo's head, after the ball was gone and nothing was called. Not a late hit, not hands to the head, nothing. It felt very one sided but it could just be me.

It could just be that I was looking for it because I'm a Cowboy fan. However, it sure didn't seem that way.

I was going to refer to the exact same play.

Of course there were a couple of calls we got, but we were still on the short end of penalties.

Let us all remember, GREAT teams overcome such adversity.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Jenkins screwed up there, giving up the TD.

He needed to pull a Greg Ellis. "Break through the hold."

Win.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Our defensive players need to flop around on the turf with their hands in the air in order to get a holding call.

I can live with the PI call on Henry, and the holding on Procter, but I find it hard to believe that a team can go a whole game without a single holding call against them. I also find it hard to believe, and I'm sure some has the stats, the lack of holding calls that go our way the last 2 or 3 years. It's to the point where it actually surprises me when we do get a holding call in our favor.

Seven

Reaction score
jackrussell;2263610 said:
I was going to refer to the exact same play.

Of course there were a couple of calls we got, but we were still on the short end of penalties.

Let us all remember, GREAT teams overcome such adversity.

That's very, very true and the only thing keeping me in check with this fiasco.

Seven

Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;2263651 said:
Our defensive players need to flop around on the turf with their hands in the air in order to get a holding call.

I can live with the PI call on Henry, and the holding on Procter, but I find it hard to believe that a team can go a whole game without a single holding call against them. I also find it hard to believe, and I'm sure some has the stats, the lack of holding calls that go our way the last 2 or 3 years. It's to the point where it actually surprises me when we do get a holding call in our favor.

They got one. As a consolation. :rolleyes:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
VegasMalone;2263246 said:
Its scary how bad the refs are this year...They cost us 2 TDs in this game

(1) Henry PI
(2) DeShawn Jacksons TD which was really a fumble

Not saying the Eagles wouldn't have scored anyway, but I noticed on Westbrook's 1-yard TD dive that Kevin Burnett was complaining to the ref. So I rewound and focused on him. Sure enough, Todd Heremans hooked and held him, much like the play where Cory Proctor was called for holding.

I know the Eagles also had some missed calls -- the face mask on Westbrook and possibly the drop by Jackson (although that was close) -- but the officials certainly hurt Dallas worse in this game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I was going to complain as well but you guys beat me to it. They held all dang day long. I'm going to send a complaint to the officials which I've never done. If that's possible. It really was outrageous. I've deleted the game but I wish someone would comment on whether we held as much before I do.

I just didn't see us do it but I have to admit I'm homer enough to have not looked for it.

Monster game.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
TheCount;2263646 said:

Remember that game when Greg Ellis was held, they threw a flag, then said there was no penalty because "the player broke through the hold"?

That's what I was referencing.

Meaning, Jenkins needed to channel his inner Greg Ellis on that play.

Obviously, I was being sarcastic... I don't really blame him.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
The officiating last night was questionable on all fronts. I saw at least 5 holds by Eagle o-linemen that weren't called. I also saw at least 3 more facemasks on the Cowboys that weren't called.

The refs deserve an F- for last night's performance.

Reaction score

Except that the box scores say otherwise. This goes back to last year with the Cowboys vs the Giants. If you go back and look at all the playoff box scores you'll find the refs seem to have made a concerted effort to keep the number of calls against each team the same. In all of the games the number of penalties were equal or within ONE penalty of eachother,,, except the Cowboy game where there was a huge disparity. I think at halftime the tally was 9 penalties on Dallas and 1 on the Giants.

I'm wondering if Jerry raised hell after this and now the officials are retalliating, because it looks like the same uneven application of the rules all over again.