What food could you not live without?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You hotdogs choice in this thread reminds me of something.

Have any of you got burnt out on a food for some reason and the just did not eat it for a long time or just once in a blue moon?

At one time it was potato soup when I was young.

In the army after eating some form of chicken for all three meals for a week I did not eat chicken for a couple of years.

I have not had a bowl of beans in years...now it is not that I dislike them as I will eat them in chili and other foods....just got burnt out on them as the wife's family loves them.

And finally HotDogs....it is VERY rare for me to eat hotdogs anymore...I don't dislike them I just got burnt out on then one summer and rarely if ever eat them since.

I can relate, I have burned out on foods for a while, after eating them quite a lot over a span of time... but after a time, I kind of re-acquire my taste for the food in question...

But my all-time biggie is actually a beverage-- coffee... the dorm coffee at UTEP during midterms cured me of ever drinking coffee again... I mean, I won't even eat cake if it has coffee-flavored icing... I'm just repulsed by the stuff...

If you'd ever drunk the dorm coffee at UTEP, you'd understand, LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
Princess said:
I hate water… yuck

Orson Welles was once famous for being a huckster for wine, and in an interview, somebody asked him if he really was as big a fan of wine as he made himself out to be... he said yes indeed, in fact he refused to drink water...

When asked why not, his answer was simple, and wickedly funny:

"Because fish fornicate in it"...

Is that YOUR reasoning too, milady?? :eek:

silverbear

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I put hot oil on anything I have the opportunity to ...

Have you ever bit into one of those red peppers at a Chinese resteraunt or whatever ... I like hot food as much as the next guy, but those are HOT.

OK, now you done went and reminded me of a funny story about my late Mom...

Every Mother's Day after my Dad passed away, it was our tradition for me to take Mom to the Ritz Carlton in Tyson's Corner (suburban DC) for their Mother's Day Brunch... it was outrageously expensive, but there was an abundance of shellfish, so I really looked forward to it...

This one time, we were goin' through the buffet, and Mom spotted a green goop in a bowl... "oh good, guacamole", she said, and spooned herself up a big dollop of it...

Well, friends, it wasn't guacamole, it was WASABI... I knew that, and I was gonna tell her about it (honest), but she filled her plate before I did, and when I got back to the table, she had just dipped a cracker into that mess and took a big ol' bite of it...

Her eyes popped so far out of her head, I kidded her that at least now, she knew what the insides of her nostrils looked like... poor girl, she 'bout to wiped out a pitcher of ice water in those next few minutes... I sampled just a bit of it, and I can tell you it was a particularly hot batch of that stuff...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
**** I know I'm doing it again, but I still dont care****

I drink at least 2 or 3 20 oz Iced Coffee's a day ... with sugar and soy milk, of course.
That's why we're 'wired', Ben. :)

Caffeine addiction is intense...it's before 9, and I'm already on my third cup.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Orson Welles was once famous for being a huckster for wine, and in an interview, somebody asked him if he really was as big a fan of wine as he made himself out to be... he said yes indeed, in fact he refused to drink water...

When asked why not, his answer was simple, and wickedly funny:

"Because fish fornicate in it"...

Is that YOUR reasoning too, milady?? :eek:

I guess great minds think alike there....LOL

But thats not all they do in the water and they aren't the only ones doing it

with all this coffe talk, y'all reminded me of one that I would be lost without... STARBUCKS!! Grande Raspberry/ Almond Latte w/ double shot espresso, whole milk and no foam

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Princess said:
I would die without my yummy foods

DESSERTS:

Oreo Cookies and Milk
German Chocolate Cake
Cheese Cake
Chocolate Sheet Cake
Sopopillas w/ honey
Cherry Sour Balls - DON'T EVEN GO THERE TB AND BP...

MEALS:

Prime Rib w/ sour cream and horseradish sauce
Steak and Baked Potato w/ sour cream and chives
Calamari w/ Italian sauce (thanks Chad for this addiction)
Chili Rellenos w/ sour cream and rice
Cheese Enchiladas w/ sour cream and jalapenos
Taco Pizza w/ jalapenos and sour cream
King Crab w/ garlic butter
Lobster w/ butter
Texas Toast
** sour cream goes with just about all my meals

DRINKS:

Sweet Tea for anytime
Tequila! for partying - Woo Hoo
Chenin Blanc for relaxing
Tequila Sunrise for Mexican meals
Shiner for football
Budweiser for races

I hate water… yuck

Excellent list Princess
I agree with almost all of it.
I would adjust it by removing the Cherry Balls and on the meals I would have put all seafood, one of my favorites being Scallops.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:

Every Mother's Day after my Dad passed away, it was our tradition for me to take Mom to the Ritz Carlton in Tyson's Corner (suburban DC) for their Mother's Day Brunch... it was outrageously expensive, but there was an abundance of shellfish, so I really looked forward to it...

This one time, we were goin' through the buffet, and Mom spotted a green goop in a bowl... "oh good, guacamole", she said, and spooned herself up a big dollop of it...

Well, friends, it wasn't guacamole, it was WASABI... I knew that, and I was gonna tell her about it (honest), but she filled her plate before I did, and when I got back to the table, she had just dipped a cracker into that mess and took a big ol' bite of it...

Her eyes popped so far out of her head, I kidded her that at least now, she knew what the insides of her nostrils looked like... poor girl, she 'bout to wiped out a pitcher of ice water in those next few minutes... I sampled just a bit of it, and I can tell you it was a particularly hot batch of that stuff...

HOLY! :eek:

:laugh2:

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
That's why we're 'wired', Ben. :)

Caffeine addiction is intense...it's before 9, and I'm already on my third cup.

:D

Yeah ... I drink a lot of coffee, Barb - iced coffed, too. I need to learn how to brew my own iced coffee ... the place I normally get it from raised it's prices.

And I cannot stand hot coffee ... I don't see why poeople just don't drink it cold.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate (in all forms)

Enchiladas

chicken-fried steak

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
silverbear said:
I can relate, I have burned out on foods for a while, after eating them quite a lot over a span of time... but after a time, I kind of re-acquire my taste for the food in question...

But my all-time biggie is actually a beverage-- coffee... the dorm coffee at UTEP during midterms cured me of ever drinking coffee again... I mean, I won't even eat cake if it has coffee-flavored icing... I'm just repulsed by the stuff...

If you'd ever drunk the dorm coffee at UTEP, you'd understand, LOL...
Army coffee ruined it for me. I can't stand the smell of it now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chief said:
Chocolate (in all forms)

Enchiladas

chicken-fried steak
You are an honorary Texan.

You could also be a member of the family. My 3 year old loves chocolate(friggin grandparents are evil), my 5 year olds fave is enchiladas and my fave specific meal is CFS. My wife's enchiladas and CFS are top notch.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
jterrell said:
You are an honorary Texan.

You could also be a member of the family. My 3 year old loves chocolate(friggin grandparents are evil), my 5 year olds fave is enchiladas and my fave specific meal is CFS. My wife's enchiladas and CFS are top notch.

I knew you had good taste: Red Raiders, Dr. Pepper and CFS.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Army coffee ruined it for me. I can't stand the smell of it now.

I had an Warrant officer that would put fresh grounds over the old grounds just enough to save money because they drank so much coffee stuff would put hair on your arse as well as the chest.

It was stout stuff :blech:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
I had an Warrant officer that would put fresh grounds over the old grounds just enough to save money because they drank so much coffee stuff would put hair on your arse as well as the chest.

It was stout stuff :blech:
We had come in from the field and were cleaning our equipment. Since it was kind of cold, in Germany imagine that, I got me a cup of coffee. I sat it down and forgot about it. By the time I decided I wanted a drink it was ice cold......NASTY NASTY stuff :puke:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I guess great minds think alike.

There is nothing and I mean nothing better than good Sushi if it's prepared right. I've caugt tuna and ate it right on the boat - great stuff.

And the pride the people take in making it is something else ... very cool ...

I was a skeptic before I first tried Sushi, but now I'm hooked just like you, TruBlue. And Damn you for bringing it up ... I'm gonna have to go get me some frickin' Sushi.

Ya know, I'm thinking I saw you write once that you live in Austin and speaking of Austin sushi joints, one place I never got to check out was that one next to UT. There might have even been two in that area. It's been a while and I've already forgotten what they called that place. Not 6th Street, but the one with all the record stores, punk rock outfitters, and other stuff that college students love. I remember it was the same street that had a Church of Scientology headquarters on it.

You ain't kidding in the pride they take in making it. I didn't know the type of training sushi chefs had to go through who were serving me in Japan until I started talking to some of their American counterparts. Those fellas go through sushi boot camp. LOL

I once read a book about the history of Saturday Night Live and Rob Schneider (the 'making copies man') was a sushi addict and would order the stuff everyday but he also was known as a quirky guy because he would examine every piece with a magnifying glass before eating it because he claimed that worms were big in that part of the world with sushi. I've eaten thousands of pieces and never picked up anything along with the fish. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe it's all the Kirin Ichiban I usually chug down with the sushi. ;)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Chief said:
Chocolate (in all forms)

Enchiladas

chicken-fried steak

Chicken-fried steak. Yummmm, now there's another one I forgot to mention. And I love it with other fried food, hell any Southern food. Fried okra, cornbread, mashed potatoes, gravy, gravy, and did I mention gravy? I've always stayed away from those easy-to-use instant fryers you can buy for your kitchen because with as much as I love greasy food, I know I'd be dead of a heart attack in a few years after cooking with that thing.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
silverbear said:

:laugh1:

I have a story about wasabi and the people who love it. ;) My first time to experience wasabi and sushi was in Japan with a group of exchange students for the summer. Now keep in mind that I was with a group of travellers from the Marianas Islands, and the the locals there were very proud of their love for hot and spicy food. Those hot Asian boony peppers that I think I've already seen mentioned twice in this thread were a local favorite in the Marianas Islands. Tobasco was used as liberally there as it is in Louisiana. The locals loved to 'fork' with haolies who came from the States and couldn't handle hot food. I was the only one in the group who looked about as Euro-Anglo, and as bland-tasting food lover, as you can be.

Anyways, I'm in Japan with some of those same folks who take pride in their hot and spicy tolerance, and the local Japanese Rotary Club decides to take everyone out to a local sushi bar. This was the first time I had ever really tried the stuff. I'm not sure if it was because it was authentic dining in Japan, or because the hosts wanted to 'fork' with the foreigners (oh the irony), but that was probably the most wasabi I've ever had on my sushi. All the folks around me who supposedly had high tolerance for spicy food were dropping like flies. They were begging for water, waving their hands to blow air in their mouth as if this would make a difference... they were desperate! Meanwhile, me the Irish haolie/gaijin was sittin' at the table just having a good ol' time! :D I couldn't get enough of that stuff, and my hosts thought it was terrific how I loved it, and we all finished a ton of sushi and some saki to throw it down, while all the Marianas Island locals who supposedly had a high tolerance for this stuff were sitting it out. :)

By the way, the moral of the story is if you ever want to gain respect quickly in foreign lands, eat their local food and love it! :D Seriously, it seems to be a universal test everywhere I've traveled, from nose dives in Mexico, to sushi bars in Japan, if you love their food, especially when it's one of those "tests" where they see what the gringo can handle, they instantly respect you. :p:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Fried okra, cornbread, mashed potatoes, gravy, gravy, and did I mention gravy?

That's a beautiful list. I love all that stuff.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
lets not forget Red beans, fried potatoes, green onions, Jalapeno Cornbread, Sweet Tea and Chow chow... my favorite family meal... oh, and a half dozen splashes of Louisiana hot sauce on everything

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Princess said:
lets not forget Red beans, fried potatoes, green onions, Jalapeno Cornbread, Sweet Tea and Chow chow... my favorite family meal... oh, and a half dozen splashes of Louisiana hot sauce on everything
minus the green onions and chow chow it sounds good too me