What free agents are available this off-season?

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
MONT17;2415958 said:
Ware will sign the Biggest Deal in NFL History! And he deserves every penny! Awesome Player and even a better person!

Haynesworth could sign the 2nd biggest deal then. I can't see any way, how we could afford those two players, with what we have left in space. Also, I'm sure some players salaries escalate this coming year, and we don't have too many expiring contracts.

ms9221

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2415434 said:
Well it looks like Haynesworth is going to meet all 4 of the catagories, that he only needed to meet one of, in Tennessee to avoid them being able to tag him again this year so he'll be available.

I don't know how many would be interested in giving him the money they'd have to in order to get him but I'd think he would be a good fit as he's a big dude who demands attention. Though I don't guess he's quite the dump truck guy that people would want.

I don't even know that he could play NT cause I believe he plays a DT spot in Tennessee.

ILB's I don't know whose up for FA.

Tennessee can't tag Albert Haynesworth when did sign him last summer Franchise Tag in that deal Tennessee they put clause in his contract that they can't Tag him after this season. Albert will be a free agent after this season unless he signs with the Titans. I always said we should Draft him or College teammate from University of Tennessee John Henderson in 2002 draft over Safty Roy Williams. Hey guys we can always re work Contracts to make room for him.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2415434 said:
Well it looks like Haynesworth is going to meet all 4 of the catagories, that he only needed to meet one of, in Tennessee to avoid them being able to tag him again this year so he'll be available.

I don't know how many would be interested in giving him the money they'd have to in order to get him but I'd think he would be a good fit as he's a big dude who demands attention. Though I don't guess he's quite the dump truck guy that people would want.

I don't even know that he could play NT cause I believe he plays a DT spot in Tennessee.

ILB's I don't know whose up for FA.
Lets get him and run the 4-3!!!!!!!!!!

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who's contracts are coming up, or could be released?

Roy - released - unk cap hit or savings
Henry - released?? - unk cap hit or savings
Columbo - FA
Canty - FA
Spears - FA? or one more year left?
Ellis - ???

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
numnuts23;2416079 said:
Who's contracts are coming up, or could be released?

Roy - released - unk cap hit or savings
Henry - released?? - unk cap hit or savings
Ware - FA
Columbo - FA
Canty - FA
Spears - FA? or one more year left?
Ellis - ???

Both Spears and Ware have 1 year left.

Mysterio

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2415458 said:
yeah we've only got a little over 6 million now, and when the cap total rises, like it does every year, we'll only have more than that.

But, no, of course not. We don't have any space.

You do realize we have to re-sign DeMarcus Ware eventually? And Roy Williams new contract kicks in, and we have Colombo to resign and Spears and Canty are free agents as well as mid level draft picks draft picks.

Nice try though. This team will be horrible next season. No defensive line.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Roy Williams and Greg Ellis will be cap casualties. I just don't know if their on field production will justify what they are being paid. Roy might be interested in taking a pay cut to stay. I'm hoping he does because I'd like to see him get one last full year in Dallas. He just makes way too much money for a 2-down, run support, coverage liability safety.

If Henry doesn't make the transition OR complains about the move to free safety he could also be a cap casualty.

Kevin Burnett's injury history makes him a risky re-sign so they might let him walk.

Chris Canty has done very little on the field this seasonto justify what he thinks he's worth so he might get to test free agency as well.

I don't think DeMarcus Ware's contract is up this off-season unless there were some voidable years. He needs to be signed long-term immediately no matter when his contract is up.

If Jordan Gross (Carolina) hits the open market the Cowboys need to look at him. They would be set at left tackle for years and could slide Flozell over to right tackle where he would face less pure speed rushers. The money not spent on re-signing Marc Colombo(and others) plus cap room should be enough to sign Gross.

There doesn't seem to be any significant Nose Tackles in free agency besides Haynesworth who will cost too much. Don't forget some pretty good defensive tackles were obtained through trades last off-season..
Buffalo - Marcus Stroud
NY Jets - Kris Jenkins
Cleveland - Shaun Rogers

From the Wishful Thinking Department ..maybe Pittsburgh would be willing to move Casey Hampton this off-season. But seriously, we may be able to pick up a decent nose tackle in a trade.

Otherwise, Dallas should target some low first-round/high second-round nose tackles in the upcoming draft and use their abundance of picks to move up and get one. We don't need quantity in this draft, we need quality.

ms9221

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2416134 said:
I have a feeling that Roy Williams and Greg Ellis will be cap casualties. I just don't know if their on field production will justify what they are being paid. Roy might be interested in taking a pay cut to stay. I'm hoping he does because I'd like to see him get one last full year in Dallas. He just makes way too much money for a 2-down, run support, coverage liability safety.

If Henry doesn't make the transition OR complains about the move to free safety he could also be a cap casualty.

Kevin Burnett's injury history makes him a risky re-sign so they might let him walk.

Chris Canty has done very little on the field this seasonto justify what he thinks he's worth so he might get to test free agency as well.

I don't think DeMarcus Ware's contract is up this off-season unless there were some voidable years. He needs to be signed long-term immediately no matter when his contract is up.

If Jordan Gross (Carolina) hits the open market the Cowboys need to look at him. They would be set at left tackle for years and could slide Flozell over to right tackle where he would face less pure speed rushers. The money not spent on re-signing Marc Colombo(and others) plus cap room should be enough to sign Gross.

There doesn't seem to be any significant Nose Tackles in free agency besides Haynesworth who will cost too much. Don't forget some pretty good defensive tackles were obtained through trades last off-season..
Buffalo - Marcus Stroud
NY Jets - Kris Jenkins
Cleveland - Shaun Rogers

From the Wishful Thinking Department ..maybe Pittsburgh would be willing to move Casey Hampton this off-season. But seriously, we may be able to pick up a decent nose tackle in a trade.

Otherwise, Dallas should target some low first-round/high second-round nose tackles in the upcoming draft and use their abundance of picks to move up and get one. We don't need quantity in this draft, we need quality.
Hey budy we have no number one Pick we have low second round pick. So we going have to bring in and impact player on defense thru free agentcy .

Section446

Reaction score
I'd rather lock up Ware long-term and draft well than worry about FA.

ms9221

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2416164 said:
I'd rather lock up Ware long-term and draft well than worry about FA.
Unless you have one two punch were going to have the same problem this year, and trust me Ware doesn't have guy like Albert why would want to come back to a mediocrity on defense don't tell Ratclif he sucks they have been runing him over and over again. By the way after the first round whom are at DT are you going to find to help him out? DeMarcus Ware Need stud at DT , and that has been our problem since Leon Lett let Dallas. Trust me Albert Hayensworth wants to be on a winner. If Wade is gone I don't see us staying 3-4 under Garrett, and Campo will problie move us back to a 4-3 Defense.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2416134 said:

I would love to see Hampton back in Texas...that would be awesome

i think ILB James Farrior is a FA as well last I saw.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Mysterio;2416105 said:
You do realize we have to re-sign DeMarcus Ware eventually? And Roy Williams new contract kicks in, and we have Colombo to resign and Spears and Canty are free agents as well as mid level draft picks draft picks.

Nice try though. This team will be horrible next season. No defensive line.

I think I mentioned that yes we have to resign Ware. But we're likely going to dump the salary for Roy Williams and Greg Ellis, and no one ever said they HAD to resign Canty and Spears. They could resign one and let the other go. If you kept one of them, and signed someone like Haynsworth, not necassarily him, you could still sign Ware.

Nice try though, pretending you're an expert. That's why they have guys working for the Cowboys to take care of these things and you're not one of them.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2415725 said:
Losman would be a real nice option and a bit of a hoot considering the history that landed him in Buffalo in the 1st place.

As an interesting side note, Losman and Romo also share the same heritage.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
ms9221;2416219 said:
Unless you have one two punch were going to have the same problem this year, and trust me Ware doesn't have guy like Albert why would want to come back to a mediocrity on defense don't tell Ratclif he sucks they have been runing him over and over again. By the way after the first round whom are at DT are you going to find to help him out? DeMarcus Ware Need stud at DT , and that has been our problem since Leon Lett let Dallas. Trust me Albert Hayensworth wants to be on a winner. If Wade is gone I don't see us staying 3-4 under Garrett, and Campo will problie move us back to a 4-3 Defense.

Well if we moved back to a 4-3 you wouldn't need the enormous NT cause you wouldn't have a NT anymore. Then Ware and Spencer would slide down to ends and Spears, Tank, and Ratliff would split time at the DT rotation with Canty, and again Ratliff, spelling at the DE spot.

There is no way, even with money in our cap (Which I do believe Jerry would easily find a way to structure things to make room if he liked), that Haynesworth winds up here.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
I think it depends on what we do this season yet, how much or where we'll spend next season in FA. Are we back in the mode of trying to "finish the final pieces" or are we just restocking for another playoff/super bowl run? And then if we do take this one all the way this year, how many players are stolen from us? Like what happens with most Super Bowl teams. In the 90's i remember us being gutted almost yearly by other teams. A big reason why some feel dynasties just no longer exist outside of NE.

isawoj

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2415651 said:
My top three of interest...

Jordan Gross LT/Carolina
Dawan Landry SS/Baltimore
JP Losman QB/Buffalo

Just to name a few .
Don't know much about Gross.

Landry would be a huge get, but he is restricted, so he may be too expensive.

Losman would be a good backup. We need someone who is mobile, just like Romo.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2415691 said:
I like Landry but I don't see us being able to snag him. There is NO WAY they pay big money for another FA LT after giving Flo the deal they gave him last year. It would be stupid to have that much money tied up in two guys at LT.

Losman is intriguing as a backup possibility. I wonder who else might be interested in him around here.

Yes we have to get Ware resigned, no doubt, but this notion that Jerry is suddenly going to be hesitant and worry about the money he spends seems REALLY off to me. When has Jerry EVER worried like that? If there is a FA, or two, out there that he wants he's going to go get them. Worry won't factor into it.

Of course we'll no doubt see him wait until the initial wave of crazy spending is done, like he did last year, in order to try and get some guys a bit cheaper.
I would say he's been that way consistently in recent times. He's never gone completely overboard on spending on FAs, except maybe in 2005, and then this past offseason, where he spent a fortune keeping his own players.

I'd say we won't see a big-time free agent signing this coming offseason, but an attempt to add some players like we did with Zach Thomas.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Chief;2416262 said:
As an interesting side note, Losman and Romo also share the same heritage.

JP is from a high school down the street from me. I used to play softball with his Dad and my Grandmother knows his Mother well.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
aardvark;2416251 said:
I would love to see Hampton back in Texas...that would be awesome

i think ILB James Farrior is a FA as well last I saw.

naw, he was extended a few weeks ago