What Grade would you give McCarthy so far?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Somehow we kept DougN as QB coach.

like the STs coach also.

Losing KRichard hurt us. But he wants a HC or DC job. No way we stays.
Losing Richard is a blessing. He was just as responsible for the mess on defense last year as Marinelli was.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Incomplete. I liked much of what he’s done with his staff. Especially the coordinator decisions. He’s handled the media well so far, but we haven’t gotten to any of the parts where that’s at all difficult yet.

We had more big losses and slightly more veteran gains in FA this season than we normally do, but that’s not related to McCarthy as much as it’s how the contracts worked out. We did try to do a little bit more than we usually do to offset losses of Jones, Quinn, and Frederick. Overall we were in the hole with VFA.

The draft was a home run, and HC is part of that. Though mostly we sat tight and got lucky early. It’s on his watch, so he gets the credit for it.

Overall, he’s a solid coach who’s done a solid job.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Since that blessed day, that the Clapping Carrot was fired/not re-signed whatever.

What grade would you give McCarthy since taking over, from the hiring of staff through FA and the draft?

Personally I give him an A

I might be crazy but things just seem better now. Like we are in batter hands. Just listening to media and staff and MM himself along with off-season moves ... I just feel like I can go to sleep at night and know things will be ok

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I might be crazy but things just seem better now. Like we are in batter hands. Just listening to media and staff and MM himself along with off-season moves ... I just feel like I can go to sleep at night and know things will be ok
I agree that they seem better but that's because the change the majority wanted was made. I am better than most because he was one of my top two choices.

I am happier with him because he's a proven coach with something more to prove. He gets fired and the first year his successor takes the team to the NFCCG. He had a year to watch that and reflect on it plus examine himself, where he was, where he wanted to be and how best to get there.

But the proof, and the grade, is in the pudding and this one hasn't even hit the stove yet.

Last edited:

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Two questions..Why are you giving McCarthy any grade when he hasn't even coached a game for us yet??
As far as the draft goes, did he have any influence on any of the picks?? If you said "yes" where's the proof??

joshjwp

Reaction score
So far A+. I love the coaching staff he put together. Smart free agent moves. Killer draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Since that blessed day, that the Clapping Carrot was fired/not re-signed whatever.

What grade would you give McCarthy since taking over, from the hiring of staff through FA and the draft?

I can't give a grade on HC until we get into the season. Frankly I have been happy with many of the players the Cowboys have acquired even under Garrett. What I need to see before passing out grade is how McCarthy takes the talent he has and gets them to play to their abilities and to play as a team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I can't give McC a grade yet, I do give the GM an A for the hire and letting the hire hire. I just don't know what to think. He does that and then this draft, he's really trying to make it difficult for me to bash him. Damn him, ruining my fun.

quickccc

Reaction score
some of the coaching hires are trouble....

linguist and Harris ?

Nolan. Really?

Philbin for OL coach.

I like Tomsula and Edwards. Good hires.

our Assistant Head Coach isn’t even a coach. He was an exec at GB.

- it's only one coaching change (Columbo) and one trainer move (mike woicik) that i questioned about McCarthy.
but even then he wanted a guy he was well familar with, and also wanted an upgrade in run coordinator schemes
otherwise i applaud him in keeping Kellen Moore on as OC, as well as Mussenheimer - that instantly ties into Dak-continuation.

- i could respect WR coach Sandray Lai and how strong a fundamentalist and relentless technician he was but maybe it was
some coaching approach aspect and player confrontations MM may not have chosen to remain - thus enters Adam Henry

- thank goodness for getting Rod Marinelli outta here - from his preference type/scheme on the field to his harming influence in the draft
with DLinemen.
- i couldn't wait to get RB coach Gary Brown outta here too. Enter reputable RB coach Skip Peete and we know Ben Bloom wasn't gonna show
back up again here.
- i read where Kris Richard was being considered to return as DB coach, but he declined.
- and i was surprised we were able to hire reputed special teams coach John Fassel away from the Rams.

This past draft was about the scouting dept helping the coaches by staying true to the board and not pressing a reach trying to please
the coaches. What i'm grateful for (but not A grading MM for) is he is not the ego type to try to run over Mcclay in trying to get his groceries
his own way. hey, he's there behind MCClay to recommend a guy he is familar in his own back yard in Tyler Biadasz, but MM will easily let
McClay decide what round, what value can we select Tyler as he was indeed a player already evaluated and on their draft board.
o_O

AbeBeta

Reaction score

linguist and Harris ?

Nolan. Really?

Philbin for OL coach.

Philbin is a very good OL coach. Don't react based on his disastrous HC career

aria

Reaction score
Typical Cowboys fan knee jerk reaction. How does he even deserve a grade? I guess I’ll give him a solid C for not sounding like a robot in his pressers but other than that there is nothing to grade him on. Coaching staff? We haven’t even seen what they can do yet, everyone was drooling over Richard after we hired him and people soured on him quickly. Then they loved Moore against 3 of the 4 worst teams in the league, after that they blamed the number one offense in the league on Garrett.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse...Marinelli was responsible for all the first round busts, no it was Will McClay, no it was Jerry...no, really it was Jason Garrett. No, just kidding, now Mike McCarthy gets all the credit for a good draft. No one has any idea who does what in these drafts.

I’ll wait until after the first season to give him a grade.

Jipper

Reaction score
LOL...……...do you know the meaning of the term...…….."so far"?
yeah i do, and so far its an incomplete grade, just like when you are in school and there isnt enough performance to give you a grade.

cant we just be happy we killed it in the draft? Why do we have to focus so much on assigning grades...hes clearly better than garret, we did much better in the draft than last year, there is a lot of hope and optimism and its a great time to be a cowboys fan!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Philbin is a very good OL coach. Don't react based on his disastrous HC career

how many seasons has he actually coached as an OL coach?

he’s mostly been OC.

my count is 3 seasons out of the last 15. But my math is often wrong.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Let’s be real. The only reason Philbin was hired is because he is big buddies with MM.

UncleOscar

Reaction score

linguist and Harris ?

Nolan. Really?

Philbin for OL coach.

This are my concerns also.

blueblood70

Reaction score

nope an I

INCOMPLETE..IMO hes done nothing

f you truly believe Will Mclay wasn't responsible for 80% of the offseason and draft, you are so happy to see Garett go you dont realize we have scouts, GMN, owners and many many people who decide who to bring in with FA and Draft..

MM hasn't done one thing yet to determine his worth.

Garret didnt really influence the draft as much and neither did most past coaches, easy to blame but the blame goes to GM, Mcclay and other a scouts etc just like when good things happen the Jonses and Mcclay made 80% of the decsions as they usually do in player personal..
lets see some real games played where we can judge the coaching staff for scheme, player rotations, and how they handle adeversity..

fan narratives seem to give all the credit to some coaches and blame to others or all on Jerry when it fails and on other when it doesnt..