What happened to the Panthers?

ghst187

Reaction score
They were one of the best teams in the league last year....
Their defense was potent...
They could run the ball...
Steve Smith was lethal...
Delhomme had moxie...
they fall just short last year of going back to the SB...
they go out and shore up the interior of their DL...
Pick up a complementary WR for Smith...
and...
This year,
They haven't had many injuries that I know of...
All of the same players were back with a few upgrades...
yet...they're about a .500 team. :confused:

thekavorka

Reaction score
i haven't looked at the stats, but it seems that delhomme got worse

a lot worse

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Their offensive line got completely disheveled because of injury.

I think we can all relate to that.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Did you see the replay after that Delhomme INT? As soon as he released the ball, he put his hands on his head in an "OH NO!" expression.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
They let the lesser team hang in..............and lost it in the end.

We can relate to that!

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if John Fox isn't just a tad overrated. He had one great year, one good year and a couple of years where his teams did not play up to their talent level. They have no business missing the playoffs this year. Not in this conference.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
stealth;1209922 said:
Keyshawn is a cancer he ruins every team he signs with!!

If T.O. had thrown his helmet like that ..... people on this board would be calling for him to be fired.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Early this season it was reported that someone stole Jake Delhomme's moxie, the police released this photo of the perpetrator:

romo_awards.jpg

playmakers

Reaction score
Having Steve Smith on his fantasy team I have watched alot of the Panthers this season. There playcalling is awful. Last week verse the Commanders they must had ran the ball 70 percent of the time[appeared.] I mean they were even running on 3rd down and 7. I didnt get it. First down run for 1, second down run for 2, and third down run for 3, punt. They must of did that on several drives. They just packed everyone at the line and just ran up the middle. If I were them I would run a 3 wide set because you know there going to double Smith that would leave the field open for everyone else. When you crowd everybody at the line you can easily double both recievers.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1209943 said:
Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if John Fox isn't just a tad overrated. He had one great year, one good year and a couple of years where his teams did not play up to their talent level. They have no business missing the playoffs this year. Not in this conference.

If we were starting an offensive line with Jeremy Bridges and Evan Mathis on one side with Geoff Hangartner at center, I don't believe Coach Parcells would be doing much better.

Their problem is that they did not prepare for disaster very well.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
Alexander;1209952 said:
If we were starting an offensive line with Jeremy Bridges and Evan Mathis on one side with Geoff Hangartner at center, I don't believe Coach Parcells would be doing much better.

Their problem is that they did not prepare for disaster very well.

Honestly, no team can be prepared for losing two starting o-linemen in week one.

Alexander

Reaction score
playmakers;1209951 said:
Having Steve Smith on his fantasy team I have watched alot of the Panthers this season. There playcalling is awful. Last week verse the Commanders they must had ran the ball 70 percent of the time[appeared.] I mean they were even running on 3rd down and 7. I didnt get it. First down run for 1, second down run for 2, and third down run for 3, punt. They must of did that on several drives. They just packed everyone at the line and just ran up the middle. If I were them I would run a 3 wide set because you know there going to double Smith that would leave the field open for everyone else. When you crowd everybody at the line you can easily double both recievers.

It is very fundamental football that keeps a lesser talented team in contention through strong defense and running game. The same philosophy they used to get to the NFC championship last season.

Dan Henning did not turn into an imbecile overnight. Neither did Fox.

Alexander

Reaction score
Word Mofo;1209955 said:
Honestly, no team can be prepared for losing two starting o-linemen in week one.

That is partially the point. But they have very little depth at tackle. So little that a player the Cardinals gave up seemed appealing and was actually able to win a job.

They have had their own "busts" via the draft in recent years along the line as well.

Aikbach

Reaction score
If they make the playoffs, I want them to advance to the divisionals and play Dallas. At this rate San Francisco might be playoff bound.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Alexander;1209952 said:

That's fine and all, but their defense just gave up 27 points and let Jeff Garcia throw for over 300 yards and 3 touchdowns on them.

Alexander

Reaction score
Aikbach;1209963 said:
If they make the playoffs, I want them to advance to the divisionals and play Dallas. At this rate San Francisco might be playoff bound.

It makes me nauseous that there might actually be an 8-8 team in the playoffs.

Revolting.

I despise "parity".

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1209965 said:
That's fine and all, but their defense just gave up 27 points to Jeff Garcia.

For all the talent they have on that unit, that's inexcusable.

The question was not about this game. It was what happened to their season.

And as much as we all like to snicker at Garcia, he does know their offense and can execute it.

As far as the "talent" goes, that is one area where the general public did overrate the Panthers.

This isn't the same Kris Jenkins. Ken Lucas has been injured all year. They don't have Dan Morgan.

They have been terribly unlucky. But instead of people knowing these facts, they assume that Coach Fox is just doing a poor job. Untrue. He is doing exactly what he did last year. He is faced with a team challenged with injuries.

And poor quarterbacking from Delhomme.