What happened to the Panthers?

Aikbach

Reaction score
Alexander;1209966 said:
It makes me nauseous that there might actually be an 8-8 team in the playoffs.

Revolting.

I despise "parity".
I welcome them to Texas stadium if Dallas fails to clinch a bye week.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Sorry, there is no excuse why this defense shouldn't be a Top 5 defense. Jenkins may not be what he was, but he's still darn good and they they signed the #1 DT in free agency to a huge contract this last offseason. Julius is having the best year of his career.

No matter what the OL is, the Panters should be able to go to the playoffs in this conference on defense alone. The Bears are 10-2 on defense alone. John Fox himself would probably tell you he's not coaching this team up to their talent level.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1209997 said:
No matter what the OL is, the Panters should be able to go to the playoffs in this conference on defense alone.

Obviously, you undervalue the importance of the offensive line.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Alexander;1210044 said:
Obviously, you undervalue the importance of the offensive line.

Not really, I've just watched the Panthers up to 5 to 6 times this year and I think its a tad simplistic to blame everything on the OL. They've underperformed in all phases. And their two best OL, Gross and Wahle, are still perfectly healthy. The only significant starter they lost on the OL was Hartwig. Does Fox need a premiere FA or a Top 10 draft pick at every position to put a servicable OL out there? Parcells went 9-7 last year starting Torrin Tucker and Rob Pettiti as his bookend tackles.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I certainly hope the Christmas Day game didn't get a lot more interesting.

NorTex

Reaction score
I think teams have figured out how to play Steve Smith and/or Smith is not playing as well as he did last year. And, of course, we all see that Jake Delhomme has not been playing very well.

ultra5

Reaction score
ghst187;1209919 said:
They were one of the best teams in the league last year....
Their defense was potent...
They could run the ball...
Steve Smith was lethal...
Delhomme had moxie...
they fall just short last year of going back to the SB...
they go out and shore up the interior of their DL...
Pick up a complementary WR for Smith...
and...
This year,
They haven't had many injuries that I know of...
All of the same players were back with a few upgrades...
yet...they're about a .500 team. :confused:

what happened is what we are all starting to realize this year.

you need MORE than a "bus-driver" at quarterback in the NFL.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Why does KeyShawn keep being called a complimentary WR for Steve Smith? Haven't you all noticed how in addition to Romo...everyone else is doing much better with the presence of 2 WRs that scare people?

We have lived through Keyshawn, so in spite of how hard he tries to sell him IMPORTANCE....you cannot beat good teams AND you can only win a ceartain way with him. Let's not forget.....in Parcells 1st year we made the playoffs....WITHOUT Key....then the next 2 years we missed them WITH Key....not we are making them again...WITHOUT Key

No I am not suggesting he is the sole reason...but we are much, much harder to gameplan for and defend with 2 weapons on the outside that scare people...it also makes the defense MUCH MUCH MUCH easier for Romo to read.

I have started other threads lamenting the following: "We must have 2 guys in place to replace TO and Terry, because Romo will be in his prime and we HAVE to keep this thing rolling...this is not something that should catch us off guard...and we should NOT be arrogant like the Pats front office and think any old WR will do...we know TO and Terry have 2 years tops at doing this...so get guys with big time potential on the team this offseason and start grooming them.

Aikbach

Reaction score
bbailey423;1210207 said:
Why does KeyShawn keep being called a complimentary WR for Steve Smith? Haven't you all noticed how in addition to Romo...everyone else is doing much better with the presence of 2 WRs that scare people?

We have lived through Keyshawn, so in spite of how hard he tries to sell him IMPORTANCE....you cannot beat good teams AND you can only win a ceartain way with him. Let's not forget.....in Parcells 1st year we made the playoffs....WITHOUT Key....then the next 2 years we missed them WITH Key....not we are making them again...WITHOUT Key

No I am not suggesting he is the sole reason...but we are much, much harder to gameplan for and defend with 2 weapons on the outside that scare people...it also makes the defense MUCH MUCH MUCH easier for Romo to read.

I have started other threads lamenting the following: "We must have 2 guys in place to replace TO and Terry, because Romo will be in his prime and we HAVE to keep this thing rolling...this is not something that should catch us off guard...and we should NOT be arrogant like the Pats front office and think any old WR will do...we know TO and Terry have 2 years tops at doing this...so get guys with big time potential on the team this offseason and start grooming them.
The media is married to their pre-season forecast that he was the most exceptional free agent grab of the year. They also are doing everything in their power to salvage the image of Steve Smith as the premeire wideout in the game, a one man wrecking crew, an unstoppable force.

Obviously he is good but only as good as his supporting cast and just like reggie Bush is hyped in New Orleans the NFL has an investment in making sure Steve Smith is at least perceived as an incomparable stalwart for merchendising and ratings purposes.

Create a legend and people tune in, Romomania pisses off non Cowboy fans for this reason but the difference is that Romo is the difference maker advertised.

alancdc

Reaction score
thekavorka;1209920 said:
i haven't looked at the stats, but it seems that delhomme got worse

a lot worse

He is not having a good year. Here in Charlotte they, the fans, were calling for Chris Weinke to replace Dehlome. Their overated D is not nearly as good as people thought. Rucker is old, they lost Witherspoon last year because they signed concussion proned Dan Morgan instead, and now Morgan is out and they don't have either. The secondary is worse than ours which is amazing. I mean Minter and Shawn Williams are done. Actually, Williams has been done, Chris Gamble at corner is having a horrible year. Bottom line is that Dehlome is like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day! Every day, game, is the same.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Panthers were just unlucky. Garcia made some nice throws, but most of the great plays were made by the Eagles wide receivers. How often does that happen?

alancdc

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1210266 said:
Panthers were just unlucky. Garcia made some nice throws, but most of the great plays were made by the Eagles wide receivers. How often does that happen?

Well, they might have bene unlucky, but they still gave up 27 points to Jeff Garcia. He acctually made some nice throws in the second half. Panthers overhyped D LINE got run on, and their secondairy has been A MAJOR problem all year. If you think we complain about our safeties, you should hear the fans in Charlotte talk about Shawn Williams, and Mike Minter.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My opinion is that they play way way way too conservatively on offense. With Smith and Keyshaun and others, they should be scoring lots of points, but they get a small lead and go into a shell.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Danny White;1209925 said:
Did you see the replay after that Delhomme INT? As soon as he released the ball, he put his hands on his head in an "OH NO!" expression.

Are you sure he wasn't just putting his hands up to his face to lick them one more time?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1210279 said:
My opinion is that they play way way way too conservatively on offense. With Smith and Keyshaun and others, they should be scoring lots of points, but they get a small lead and go into a shell.

They have one weapon...Steve Smith.....KeyShawn is not a weapon....he is the modern day Art Monk...he is professional, steady, will catch....but he strikes ZERO fear in the defense....and this is exactly why Art Monk has not been inducted into the HOF...and KeyShawn, who is hanging around to make his numbers HOF worthy, is going to have a hard time like Art Monk. I am sure he is praying that Art Monk gets in, because that will be his model for his own campaign

dfense

Reaction score
That team is soft. Dallas pushed them around all game. They are not going to beat the Giants this week. Say hello to the Giants for the third time this year in the playoffs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the Carolina running game has not gotten the job done. As a team they rank 18th in rushing and in their offensive system that is not going to get it done.