What happened to the pre-snap motion?

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Less presnap motion because of the noise level. Motion requires communication, timing, etc. I assume it was to ensure we had protection and limit presnap penalties.

This is the best potential explanation for the vanilla gameplan I've seen yet. It's believable, but if it's true then it really came back to bite us in the you know what.

scottsp

Reaction score
Who could say? I don’t think it’s unique to Garrett or Moore, but it seems the higher-leverage affairs tend to make coaches more cautious, more simplified, and things are discarded.

Never mind if it worked against the Bengals or Commanders. “We gotta keep it simple and avoid mistakes at all costs.” Hard to know if Garrett reeled in Moore or if Boy Wonder did it to himself.

And let’s not even get into what happens when protections aren’t holding up or the run game isn’t working to keep levels two/three of the defense honest. Then the game can just get away from you. Afterwards, coaches have been known to beat up themselves. “Why didn’t we work this in?”

It happens somewhere every week. Quite possibly, this serves as a learning opportunity and actually benefits them down the road. Football can be funny that way.

kevm3

Reaction score
Hard to say what caused it, but it's clear we went away from that dynamic offense that was so explosive this year except in the 3rd quarter. We kept burning up possessions with Zeke runs up the gut against a team that was tough against the run instead of attacking their weakness.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that somehow, someone stepped in and sabatoged Moore for just this game. In fact, it’s ridiculous. If you want to credit Moore for the wins, then you can’t turnaround and absolve him when things don’t go well.

You can have a hard time believing it but all you had to do was watch the game. They didn’t run anything new that they have been running. That gameplan was just like most gameplans from last year. You think Moore decided to do that? It had to be Garrett. Moore can only call the plays on the call sheet and there was none of the new stuff there this week.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Great thread! What happened to the pre-snap motion?

Let's see, loud ** stadium.

Do you understand football at all?

TheHerd

Reaction score
Less presnap motion because of the noise level. Motion requires communication, timing, etc. I assume it was to ensure we had protection and limit presnap penalties.
And it didn't work. We had no protection. So why didn't we chang it in the second half when it clearly wasn't working? Disappointing. We could all see it plain as day.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that somehow, someone stepped in and sabatoged Moore for just this game. In fact, it’s ridiculous. If you want to credit Moore for the wins, then you can’t turnaround and absolve him when things don’t go well.

Not trying to say anyone sabotaged Moore, more or less presenting the possibility of we're going to do things differently this week for whatever reason maybe bc it's a loud stadium and you don't want a lot of presnap motion, penalties, whatever the reason. I'm not saying you can't blame Kellen, but I'm not jumping to conclusions yet bc it didn't feel like a game that Kellen gameplanned the offense for. I don't really care who gets the blame it doesn't do anybody any good.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Great thread! What happened to the pre-snap motion?

Let's see, loud ** stadium.

Do you understand football at all?

It wasn't just about the presnap motion. But clearly if we got super vanilla bc the stadium was loud it did not pay off in any way.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Hard to say what caused it, but it's clear we went away from that dynamic offense that was so explosive this year except in the 3rd quarter. We kept burning up possessions with Zeke runs up the gut against a team that was tough against the run instead of attacking their weakness.

There was nothing different about that TD drive. It was just like last year. Eventually they get a timely penalty go their way and a 20+ yard play on the same drive and score. It happens about once a game when they run Garrett’s offense. That’s all that drive was.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
There was nothing different about that TD drive. It was just like last year. Eventually they get a timely penalty go their way and a 20+ yard play on the same drive and score. It happens about once a game when they run Garrett’s offense. That’s all that drive was.

Yeah kind of agreed but I also agree about Zeke running up the gut every first down. Kellen's done a great job at attacking team's weaknesses each week, seems like he completely got away from that today it just doesn't add up imo.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Yeah kind of agreed but I also agree about Zeke running up the gut every first down. Kellen's done a great job at attacking team's weaknesses each week, seems like he completely got away from that today it just doesn't add up imo.

Those were the plays on the call sheet and the gameplan called for runs on 1st down. Those things had to come from Garrett. There is no way Moore decided on that gameplan. What I’m disappointed in with Moore is he didn’t stand up to Garrett and insist on a gameplan that could actually win.

droopdog7

Reaction score
You can have a hard time believing it but all you had to do was watch the game. They didn’t run anything new that they have been running. That gameplan was just like most gameplans from last year. You think Moore decided to do that? It had to be Garrett. Moore can only call the plays on the call sheet and there was none of the new stuff there this week.
Paranoia at its finest.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Not trying to say anyone sabotaged Moore, more or less presenting the possibility of we're going to do things differently this week for whatever reason maybe bc it's a loud stadium and you don't want a lot of presnap motion, penalties, whatever the reason. I'm not saying you can't blame Kellen, but I'm not jumping to conclusions yet bc it didn't feel like a game that Kellen gameplanned the offense for. I don't really care who gets the blame it doesn't do anybody any good.
You saying that it does seem like Moore game planned is like pointing the finger somewhere else to me.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Paranoia at its finest.

I don't think it's paranoia I think it's a legitimate question. Do I know it for fact? No of course not, but do I feel in my heart of hearts that Garrett had something to do with the gameplan changing on offense going into this game? Yeah.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
You saying that it does seem like Moore game planned is like pointing the finger somewhere else to me.

I mean take it how you will, I don't have any kind of hidden Garrett agenda but I think his philosophies speak for themselves he has always ran a conservative Xs and Os offense his tenure here for better or worse. Kellen presented a different kind of offense, better or worse, successful or not successful, the offense just didn't have the feel of a Kellen Moore ran offense. I don't think that's deflecting.

Number1

Reaction score
"What happened to the pre-snap motion?"

poor game prep and crowd noise

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No Gallup (huge loss) and a banged up Cooper.

And the offensive line failed to win the trenches.

With our 2 lost fumbles it’s actually surprising we only lost by 2 points.

Disappointing that Pollard didn’t get a single carry.

We needed Devin Smith to get open.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I don't think it's paranoia I think it's a legitimate question. Do I know it for fact? No of course not, but do I feel in my heart of hearts that Garrett had something to do with the gameplan changing on offense going into this game? Yeah.
Your heart hates Garret that’s why you feel that way. How about the fact that this was always going to be our toughest game to date, especially given the environment.

Rather than look at the obvious, too many fans jumps straight to the conspiracy theory.