What happened to the pre-snap motion?

droopdog7

Reaction score
No, it’s just obvious observation from watching the game and being able to compare and contrast differences in game planning. It’s not real hard actually.
It’s not the obvious observation. The obvious obersvation is that this is the best team we face in the roughest environment.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I mean take it how you will, I don't have any kind of hidden Garrett agenda but I think his philosophies speak for themselves he has always ran a conservative Xs and Os offense his tenure here for better or worse. Kellen presented a different kind of offense, better or worse, successful or not successful, the offense just didn't have the feel of a Kellen Moore ran offense. I don't think that's deflecting.
Before Garret became head coach he was coordinator for some of the best offenses in cowboy history. The idea that he is conservative is a myth.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Not buying the noise level crap as the cause. They practiced with simulated noise level all week and added hand signals etc. Dak even mentioned it at his locker interview during the week.

No excuses!

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Your heart hates Garret that’s why you feel that way. How about the fact that this was always going to be our toughest game to date, especially given the environment.

Rather than look at the obvious, too many fans jumps straight to the conspiracy theory.

I think my track record on CowboysZone would show that I am pro Garrett more often than not. At the end of the day, both Garrett who has the final say in everything and Kellen who is the one calling plays are both responsible for the vanilla running play calls today, the defense saw those coming every time and there's no excuse for them. Jesse Holley on twitter was quick to hold Kellen accountable, maybe he's right, maybe you're right, but it can't be denied that there was a drastic change in gameplan and playcalling all over the board.

Them

Reaction score
Less presnap motion because of the noise level. Motion requires communication, timing, etc. I assume it was to ensure we had protection and limit presnap penalties.

...exactly!...it had to be that the noise level that kept them from their normal reads...I just wish they could have come up with something better than the "Linehan" like vanilla play calling scheme...SMH...
:banghead:

droopdog7

Reaction score
I think my track record on CowboysZone would show that I am pro Garrett more often than not. At the end of the day, both Garrett who has the final say in everything and Kellen who is the one calling plays are both responsible for the vanilla running play calls today, the defense saw those coming every time and there's no excuse for them. Jesse Holley on twitter was quick to hold Kellen accountable, maybe he's right, maybe you're right, but it can't be denied that there was a drastic change in gameplan and playcalling all over the board.
Do people realize that Garret’s offenses as coordinator were some of the best in cowboy history? Where in the world did the idea that he is conservative even come from?

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
They also went away from the play action pass. They only ran 7 of them the entire game. Dam completed 6 of them. They averaged about 8 yards a pop on those. SOoooooooo, makes perfect sense to not do more right. This is the MO of a Garrett coached team. How many times have we as fans watched in horror as our Cowboys dominate in the running game for instance only to watch them go pass pass pass? Plenty of times. This is another example of this idiocy. The Saint's are a bad passing defense and Dallas should have relied on the play action pass a lot. They are the best in the league at it through 3 games. Stupid is as stupid does......

Sepia

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that somehow, someone stepped in and sabatoged Moore for just this game. In fact, it’s ridiculous. If you want to credit Moore for the wins, then you can’t turnaround and absolve him when things don’t go well.

I see what you mean, but the offense looks so different that I truly wonder if Garrett or someone else doesn’t keep Moore on a leash scheme-wise.

Either Moore needed months to do what he schemed up for Week 1 and can’t do it week-to-week, or someone got in his ear. Persistently calling run plays tonight seems like something Garrett would do. Heck, maybe the Jones’ told them to get Zeke the ball more to justify his payday. But something changed. It seems like Moore is at least able to make half-time adjustments, but it didn’t work tonight since NO ate up most of the clock.

Them

Reaction score
Not buying the noise level crap as the cause. They practiced with simulated noise level all week and added hand signals etc. Dak even mentioned it at his locker interview during the week.

No excuses!

:thumbdown:...the noise level was the factor...IMO...why else do they not continuing playing their normal plays? ...where were the RPOs...the motions... etc ?....no excuses I agree....but their still had to be some logical reason!...

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Do people realize that Garret’s offenses as coordinator were some of the best in cowboy history? Where in the world did the idea that he is conservative even come from?

Maybe conservative isn't the word for it, vanilla is. Playcalling and scheming under Linehan was super vanilla. Some people blamed Garrett some people blamed Linehan, I blamed Linehan. But I saw the same thing all of a sudden today and sure it makes me think well does Garrett have something to do with it? I think it's a fair question to pose, maybe it's not true. Maybe Kellen thought playing at the dome maybe more vanilla was the way to go maybe him and Garrett and the team as a whole all agreed on it, I really don't know. I'm not really trying to play the blame game I just wish we had more answers instead of opinions. Really all that matters is that we see it as a mistake and revert back to what was working.

But also, Kellen has shown us tendencies in his somewhat short time as a coordinator. He'll throw in Pollard even for drives at a time, he'll throw the ball downfield, call a ton of play action, etc. etc. I just didn't see a lot of his tendencies come out in playcalling or the offense today. I think wether or not my theory is right, I don't think it's paranoia.

Last edited:

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I see what you mean, but the offense looks so different that I truly wonder if Garrett or someone else doesn’t keep Moore on a leash scheme-wise.

Either Moore needed months to do what he schemed up for Week 1 and can’t do it week-to-week, or someone got in his ear. Persistently calling run plays tonight seems like something Garrett would do. Heck, maybe the Jones’ told them to get Zeke the ball more to justify his payday. But something changed. It seems like Moore is at least able to make half-time adjustments, but it didn’t work tonight since NO ate up most of the clock.

That's another good point I did see some decent adjustments, notably the hurry up offense, but NO to their credit ate up a ton of clock and the game had just kind of gotten away from us.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Less presnap motion because of the noise level. Motion requires communication, timing, etc. I assume it was to ensure we had protection and limit presnap penalties.

It also appeared we were reacting to the defense showing the full out blitz as we'd checked out of our original play only to have NO switch defenses or back out of the blitz. I believe there's something to be said for going with your originally intended play once it's apparent that more than half the time the defense is bluffing.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
It also appeared we were reacting to the defense showing the full out blitz as we'd checked out of our original play only to have NO switch defenses or back out of the blitz. I believe there's something to be said for going with your originally intended play once it's apparent that more than half the time the defense is bluffing.
Dak is not savvy yet. He can get worked by a defense like that.

8FOR!3

Reaction score

Another good point and that is something Payton and NO deserves credit for. That seemed to throw us off.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I'll put more stock in Garrett went conservative, to bring Moore down to earth and away from possibly taking his job next year (which could happen anyway), then go with the crowd noise theory.

However, I'm willing to listen/look at other evidence. Such as a Cowboys player tweeting, referencing that the noise level was a factor etc.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Bingo.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Kellen Moore...it's a process?

Oh gawd... NOOOOOO!

iu

You know, success on offense is probably a lot like it is on defense....what is the most important secret?

There ARE none...practice, practice, practice makes it work.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I can live with a loss, the fumbles, the team not playing their best, and etc. There were good things to be taken from the game on the defensive side. I don't want to be completely negative. But the team got away from what has been working for them under Kellen Moore. There should be zero "they played a better team defense" narrative. Did they? Sure. But there was a clear change in playcalling, especially in the run game. And the question that really needs to be posed is as simple as why? The formula thus far under Kellen has been catch the defense off guard by using presnap motion, subbing in Pollard, throwing more on first down, etc. etc. all of this has kept defenses on their toes. Today we knew watching at home before the snap when the run up the gut was coming and so did the Saints defense.

Why the sudden change of philosophy? Kellen Moore was obviously calling the plays today but was there something going on behind the scenes this week with scheming for this game differently? I have a hard time believing if Kellen was the head coach (and I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be) that this is how he would have called this game.

Sure, Saints sold out on the run on first and second down. So did the Giants and they're historically pretty solid at stopping the run the past few years, but we schemed excellently against them. Why'd we get so vanilla today? The question really needs to be posed instead of just jumping to emotional conclusions. I think the team's gameplan on offense set the team up for failure. If a rookie coordinator just didn't call a very good game, I can live with it, but does anybody else have a hard time believing that's how Kellen wanted to call that game? Idk, thoughts, opinions, maybe if I'm lucky reporters asking some tough questions...

That's a big issue with KM's scheme in loud stadiums, you can't do it. The motions require a lot of calls from the line and the QB, which you can't do in the Superdome.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
No Gallup (huge loss) and a banged up Cooper.

And the offensive line failed to win the trenches.

With our 2 lost fumbles it’s actually surprising we only lost by 2 points.

Disappointing that Pollard didn’t get a single carry.
You nailed it!

phildadon86

Reaction score
JG probably thought since we beat them last year using his crappy scheme, we use it again this year instead of using all the things that made our offense dynamic in past 3 games.
That is exactly what happened. Garrett took over gameplanning I am sure of it. He wanted the respect of beating Payton again. Instead of just doing whats worked for 3 weeks.