What happens when future Hall of Famer Tyron Smith gets back?

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
LT Tyron Smith future HOFer
LG Tyler Smith future HOFer?
C Jason Peters future HOFer
RG Zack Martin future HOFer
RT Terrence Steele undrafted free agent but what difference does it make at this point?
:laugh:

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Stick a fork in him he's done.. Internal temperature 160 degrees...

glimmerman

Reaction score
Tyler Smith is balling. Do they really want to move Tyler at that point? Put Tyron back to left tackle and Tyler at left guard? Or swing Tyron to the right tackle with Zack Martin?
Then if everyone is healthy on the O-Line we are real good. Tyron, Tyler, Biadass, Martin, Peters. Or any combo you want..

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Not sure he plays again this season.

Yeah, IF he does come back, he still then needs to get in football shape so its not like you put him in right away. but i truly doubt he will be back. As for 2023, no one knows. May be Time to hang up the helmet. Weird how he is only 31 and just feels like he's older than 40 year old Peters. Wear and tear, injuries take their toll.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Well, Jason Peters is looking like he's done. If Tyron makes it back then he will certainly be used.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Then we have two potential HOFers potentially playing on the line.

It seems some folks don't know Tyler Smith was a LT in college, not a guard. He's never played a game at guard in college or the NFL.

Yes, that was the plan for this season. But you don't switch him to guard in December because that was your plan in April. He's a tackle.

Tyler Smith can play both. He was playing very well at guard, which is why they wanted to keep him there. But that was when the plan was to have Tyron at LT.

Most of us knew he could play LT. It just left our line thin with depth overall, and because our run game would be sick with him blocking from the LG spot.. He also does a fine job run-blocking from the LT spot, too.

That said, I wouldn't move him unless Tyron Smith was legitimately ready to go at full speed.

And that's not happening. Not this year.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You really see how strong this line could have been if he didn't go down so early.

I mean, bro. You just made the most important point.

It's the thought that counts. And the thought goes a long way with me. I also like Jason Peters filling in and being part of the team. But give me Tyron, Tyler, and Peters all day. And we compete with anyone.

I see our offense getting better and better as the year goes on.

It's going to be key to maintain the defense playing at its current level.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tyron Smith sits until an opportunity for him happens. It's hard to imaging that will last very long.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyler Smith is balling. Do they really want to move Tyler at that point? Put Tyron back to left tackle and Tyler at left guard? Or swing Tyron to the right tackle with Zack Martin?

If Tyron was in their plans for the future, Tyler would be starting at LG now.

NotForLong

Reaction score
it is a good question!

I just say if they move Tyler smith around it will be a mistake short term and more long term

cowboys will be better off if they operate like Tyron is hurt and do not depend on him at all
Why? . . . Do you believe Tyler is not up for the challenge . . . Do you. Doubt Him?. . Why?

Or is your belief just coming for an unimaginative view based upon classifying everyone into "Analytic" Analysis

Tyler will hood it down and it will not stilunt His growth

You really telling me you don't want a healthey Smith & Smith . . Shoulder to Shoulder wrecking Ish up.

This isn't a case of picking up a free agent . . . This is a future Hall of Fame returning to the lineup

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
it is a good question!

I just say if they move Tyler smith around it will be a mistake short term and more long term

cowboys will be better off if they operate like Tyron is hurt and do not depend on him at all
just put Tyler back at left guard and let Smith play at left tackle. And see what happens

Flamma

Reaction score
just put Tyler back at left guard and let Smith play at left tackle. And see what happens

This is what most likely would happen. But I'm not confident he'll be back. We can only hope.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron is doubtful to ever play another game.

Jarntt

Reaction score
If (and that's a big if) Tyron is back at 100% this year, there is no chance he doesn't go right back to LT when ready. The idea that it would set Tyler back is just ridiculous. Why do people keep saying that? In the long term, the LT job is his. In the short term he just needs to play and who cares where it is. Get your best 5 on the field and Tyron isn't playing OG and McGovern and Biadasz are the two weak links so one of them sits. Stop making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

Now starting next year it's a tough call. Is Tyron worth keeping and using up all of that cap space when he isn't likely to play more than half the year? The decision gets tougher each year