What hurt our defense this year

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboy's defense against the run wasn't as good this year. I feel like Vander Esch injury hurt because they had no answer for it. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn’t he call the plays on defense?
What hurt the Cowboy's defense this year was Quinn's inability to make ANY real game adjustments to his defense. Had he had his defense playing more aggressive and blitzing more often, maybe every fricking down and not sitting back on it's heels all the time, he could have flooded the box with more players to help his UNDER SIZED LBers against the run and would have forced QBs to find their targets fasters against our decent CBs. There would have been a lot less of those chunk plays in the GB game.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
LVE had a decent year prior and I think everyone was pretty hopeful he’d stay healthy. Losing him was obviously a major blow.

Losing Overshown was a blow.

Clark didn’t really elevate his play, that was a blow.

Harper definitely didn’t elevate his play, that was a blow.

So we relied on a 200lb safety to fill gaps and stuff runs.

Yeah I’d say they poorly calculated the LB position this summer, right after they knew Overshown was gone, there should have been a better effort to get depth
Dude I like what overshown had shown during the preseason but we can't say for certain that he was going to be a huge difference maker in the regular season. Lots of fans saying "oh if only we hadn't lost overshown this defense would've been more solid blah blah blah". Overshown has trended into the legendary realm of Matt Johnson at this point!........

Geez Deuce looked good in the preseason.....

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Dude I like what overshown had shown during the preseason but we can't say for certain that he was going to be a huge difference maker in the regular season. Lots of fans saying "oh if only we hadn't lost overshown this defense would've been more solid blah blah blah". Overshown has trended into the legendary realm of Matt Johnson at this point!........

Geez Deuce looked good in the preseason.....
I’m not disagreeing, just talking depth.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboy's defense against the run wasn't as good this year. I feel like Vander Esch injury hurt because they had no answer for it. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn’t he call the plays on defense?
The problem with the Cowboys defense is we only have one good run defender in our front 7 (DLaw). Hankins is so overrated by the board. The Cowboys have 4 elite defenders two corners that have great ball skills along with Tank/Parsons. I think the injury to Diggs hurt our safeties who are good run defenders.

Blue64

Reaction score
Many things hurt this defense…

Losing LVE, although not the best LB out there, they never accounted for his loss.

JJ and the FO declaring at the trade deadline that we don’t need any help!!!! When the 49ers beefed up their D-line

Parsons, the so called lion who runs his mouth better than he plays… where was this guy in the latter part of the season and against GB

Bland, ever to jump on an opportunity to get into the record books… but as a cover corner… this guy was toasted, most notably against Detroit

Undersized safeties playing LB…
A hole you can drive a semi through in our front line
Dan Quinn

I could go on and on… but this team has serious problems