What I believe the plan is...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
the kid 05;1333419 said:
how is that mediocre?

It's not.

In fact, Wade Phillips only has 1 losing records in all his Head Coaching stops.

He was an interim HC for the Saints in 1985 and went 1-3 (I don't count that season).

His only losing season was in 1994 with the Broncos (7-9).

I really don't know why he hasn't been given more chances. He got fired in Buffalo after going 8-8 (and they didn't have much talent on the roster at the time).

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
LatinMind;1333521 said:
lol how many yrs have u been saying that OL line, be honest

A while. But I also didn't expect a 2nd and 3rd rounder to be busts, and then have the high priced guy we bring in to do nothing. Do you really feel smart being a jagoff in every thread?

adamknite

Reaction score
Rack;1333535 said:
It's not.

In fact, Wade Phillips only has 1 losing records in all his Head Coaching stops.

He was an interim HC for the Saints in 1985 and went 1-3 (I don't count that season).

His only losing season was in 1994 with the Broncos (7-9).

I really don't know why he hasn't been given more chances. He got fired in Buffalo after going 8-8 (and they didn't have much talent on the roster at the time).

Not to mention he the main reason he got fired from Buffalo is for refusing to fire his special teams coach. Everybody seems to think he'd be just a "puppet" head coach under Jerry, but something like that tells me otherwise, I could be wrong though, who knows. If Jerry hires Phillips I wouldn't be thrilled but I wouldn't think it was a terrible hire either. Now Norv Turner, Mariuchi{sp}, or Martz...... I would have to stop and ponder how much I really enjoyed being a Cowboys fan if that happened. I want to see Rivera or Grimm hired personally, but that's just me.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
adamknite;1333575 said:
Not to mention he the main reason he got fired from Buffalo is for refusing to fire his special teams coach. Everybody seems to think he'd be just a "puppet" head coach under Jerry, but something like that tells me otherwise, I could be wrong though, who knows. If Jerry hires Phillips I wouldn't be thrilled but I wouldn't think it was a terrible hire either. Now Norv Turner, Mariuchi{sp}, or Martz...... I would have to stop and ponder how much I really enjoyed being a Cowboys fan if that happened. I want to see Rivera or Grimm hired personally, but that's just me.

Rivera and Rex Ryan are my top two choices.

Heh, funny...

Ron Rivera

or

Rex Ryan

Now we'd just need an "RR" Owner/GM and we could repeat history (JJ and JJ).

burmafrd

Reaction score
Phillips would do a good job. Not great but good. He won at Buffalo his first two years with Flutie as his QB and outside of Moulds no other talent on O. Not a whole lot of talent on D either. His third year things wore out and he went 8-8 and wilson fired him. The next year they went 3-13. Which was a true indication of the talent level.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
burmafrd;1333634 said:
Phillips would do a good job. Not great but good. He won at Buffalo his first two years with Flutie as his QB and outside of Moulds no other talent on O. Not a whole lot of talent on D either. His third year things wore out and he went 8-8 and wilson fired him. The next year they went 3-13. Which was a true indication of the talent level.

So basically he did what Parcells did, won with smoke and mirrors. Then when the team went down hill it showed his time spent there was useless because the team didn't upgrade in talent during his tenure. Yup just what the doctor ordered for the Cowboys.:(

burmafrd

Reaction score
remember also that WIlson was the owner- not exactly a great one.
His drafts actually were decent, not great but not terrible. With a very good scout staff like we have here he should do better. And remember when you are winning you are not getting top 5 picks.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I would like to do better then Phillips, but his hire would not be a disaster or probably even bad. He is a top 3-4 coach, and as long as he got a good OC then we could do very well.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
burmafrd;1333642 said:
remember also that WIlson was the owner- not exactly a great one.
His drafts actually were decent, not great but not terrible. With a very good scout staff like we have here he should do better. And remember when you are winning you are not getting top 5 picks.

We have been in the same boat for four years. Winning enough to not get great draft position and still drafted well. Jones isn't that far off from Wilson.
Neither know how to draft and both think they know talent. I lived in Bills country most of my life. Wilson is the reason I was never a Bills fan.

Woods

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1333646 said:
We have been in the same boat for four years. Winning enough to not get great draft position and still drafted well. Jones isn't that far off from Wilson.
Neither know how to draft and both think they know talent. I lived in Bills country most of my life. Wilson is the reason I was never a Bills fan.

The problem is that this is just a lean year to get a proven HC.

Unless JJ talks Cower out of retirement and wants to compensate Pitts with draft picks (which I don't really want to do), there isn't really any other option. And I doubt the Bears let L. Smith go, esp. after 2 decades he leads them back to the Super Bowl.

So, we're basically left with hoping a top coordinator pans out, i.e., Ryan and Rivera, for example, or we choose a guy who has had some success as a HC and very successfully runs the same defense we run now (which was our weak spot last season).

And let's remember that JJ probably doesn't view the Cowboys as a rebuilding project.

So, if you're JJ, do you go with a guy who has HC experience and bring in a strong number 2 behind him (i.e., Payton type) to groom, or go with a coordinator without any HC experience and hope he pans out?

I think JJ would chose the former option.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Woods;1333662 said:
The problem is that this is just a lean year to get a proven HC.

Unless JJ talks Cower out of retirement and wants to compensate Pitts with draft picks (which I don't really want to do), there isn't really any other option. And I doubt the Bears let L. Smith go, esp. after 2 decades he leads them back to the Super Bowl.

So, we're basically left with hoping a top coordinator pans out, i.e., Ryan and Rivera, for example, or we choose a guy who has had some success as a HC and very successfully runs the same defense we run now (which was our weak spot last season).

And let's remember that JJ probably doesn't view the Cowboys as a rebuilding project.

So, if you're JJ, do you go with a guy who has HC experience and bring in a strong number 2 behind him (i.e., Payton type) to groom, or go with a coordinator without any HC experience and hope he pans out?

I think JJ would chose the former option.

I agree with most of what you say. The biggest problem for me is that JJ reverts back into the more meddlesome owner than he has been for Parcells stint.
The talent on this team doesn't deserve a coach in training. The problem is there are no coaches period who JJ won't keep a major thumb on.
Cowher would be the only one who would stand a chance. I don't see him coming here either.

Woods

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1333669 said:
I agree with most of what you say. The biggest problem for me is that JJ reverts back into the more meddlesome owner than he has been for Parcells stint.
The talent on this team doesn't deserve a coach in training. The problem is there are no coaches period who JJ won't keep a major thumb on.
Cowher would be the only one who would stand a chance. I don't see him coming here either.

I agree. However, one the biggest gripes about JJ was his meddling with respect to the Draft.

I am hoping with Ireland on board, and with learning not to pick exclusively for need, this problem can be resolved.

I don't think JJ will pull an Al Davis and tell the HC which players to play and which players not to play.