CFZ What I saw on Monday is what I want to see more from Dak

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What I saw on Monday is what I want to see more from Dak. I was hard on him last week. The reason is because I credit players when they deserve credit, and I saddle them with blame when it's warranted. This week, Dak gets a lot of credit from me for his play.

Specifically, I am glad that he FINALLY started using his legs more. This is what he needs to do more. This is where he's at his best. He's solid enough in the pocket. However, if defences have to fear his running ability, that can open up more passing lanes, which means that's one less WR that's covered. I would love it if McCarthy, during this bye week, would incorporate this more into the offense.

For those of you that say, "well Rusty, then that diminishes his QB skill", most QBs do this now. Lamar, Hurts, Mahomes, Zach Wilson, and just about any other QB nowadays has to be able to scramble and pickup yards with his feet. Dak is no different. I understand he had the unfortunate leg injury in 2020, but I think he's far enough removed from that to where Mike McCarthy should have more confidence in his ability. Especially after how well Dak was able to use his legs against the Chargers. His running and throwing ability, when used together, are when I think he can be one of the better QBs in the league. In other words, take the kid gloves off Dak when it comes to scrambling. Let him scramble when he sees fit. It will make the offense more dynamic.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
so you want to see 20 points?

It wasn't the points that I am talking about. I'm talking about him using his legs more to open up the passing lanes. Use those to free up CeeDee Lamb and/or Cooks. Mind you, the score would probably have been higher if Gallup could've caught one of the two throws Dak made to him in the endzone. The point is, use his legs to free up the other receivers, and then take advantage of it as receivers start to come more open. This needs to be used more in the TCO. I think if we use his abilities more in this way, he will score a lot more than 20.

Findanny

Reaction score
I’m not sure what to make of this Texas offensive scheme. The running game has been brutal. I think the weakest link so far has been the offensive line. Defensively, they look ferocious at times. Other times, they look extremely bad. I’m not sure what this team’s identity is yet. Let’s enjoy the bye week. I wait all year for football to begin, just to be stressed out for 5 months of football. Cowboys!

conner01

Reaction score
What I saw on Monday is what I want to see more from Dak. I was hard on him last week. The reason is because I credit players when they deserve credit, and I saddle them with blame when it's warranted. This week, Dak gets a lot of credit from me for his play.

Specifically, I am glad that he FINALLY started using his legs more. This is what he needs to do more. This is where he's at his best. He's solid enough in the pocket. However, if defences have to fear his running ability, that can open up more passing lanes, which means that's one less WR that's covered. I would love it if McCarthy, during this bye week, would incorporate this more into the offense.

For those of you that say, "well Rusty, then that diminishes his QB skill", most QBs do this now. Lamar, Hurts, Mahomes, Zach Wilson, and just about any other QB nowadays has to be able to scramble and pickup yards with his feet. Dak is no different. I understand he had the unfortunate leg injury in 2020, but I think he's far enough removed from that to where Mike McCarthy should have more confidence in his ability. Especially after how well Dak was able to use his legs against the Chargers. His running and throwing ability, when used together, are when I think he can be one of the better QBs in the league. In other words, take the kid gloves off Dak when it comes to scrambling. Let him scramble when he sees fit. It will make the offense more dynamic.
He didn’t have much choice since the pass rush was getting there quick

Jipper

Reaction score
I agree he looked more fluid and aggressive moving - he's not a pocket passer and it's time to stop trying to make him one.

Let him slide around, rollout, draw and have some designed runs maybe as options...got to get him comfortable doing what is most natural

Flamma

Reaction score
The scheme is terrible. Dak needs to continue to run when it is there.
Yeah, you're right on both counts. I just hate seeing it because it looks more like a desperation move than anything else. The designed run play for a TD was great. But everything else is Dak running for his life. Like Daniel Jones. I remember people saying the Giants had a good first drive. No they didn't. Jones was running for his life. It just worked out well in that drive.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree he looked more fluid and aggressive moving - he's not a pocket passer and it's time to stop trying to make him one.

Let him slide around, rollout, draw and have some designed runs maybe as options...got to get him comfortable doing what is most natural

Exactly, let Dak do what Dak does best.