CFZ What I saw on Monday is what I want to see more from Dak

CCBoy

Reaction score
I have never heard the west coast offense described as "simple"

If that is what you think, we are done here.
Something Steven Ruiz addressed in his scathing piece on McCarthy’s offense last week was how Prescott had only thrown 13 passes of 10 yards or more into the middle of the field.

Intermediate passes in the middle of the field are often the most fruitful in EPA, yet the Cowboys were in the bottom of the NFL in these attempts.

On Monday night, the Cowboys attacked the middle of the field. While the vast majority were less than 10-yards, they showed a willingness to deliver the ball between the hashes. Prescott completed five-of-nine passes here, for a passer rating of 95.6.

In his one attempt in the 10-20 yard range, Dallas gained 23 yards on the play, good for a 118.8 passer rating.

Over the offseason, we addressed middle of the field passing and how it’s more often a byproduct of play design than a willingness by the passer. Since it doesn’t involve high-end skills or elite processing, even some of the most pedestrian QBs earn a living over the middle. Provided, of course, they have a good play-caller designing the opportunities.

Mid-tier passers usually get exposed on the outside. This is where franchise passers like Prescott often work the field. Windows are tight and timing is crucial here, so it’s hard for average QBs to fake it on the boundary.

The best passers in the NFL make impacts both inside and outside. It takes a skilled passer and a skilled play designer to make it happen.

Moore, the previous play-caller, shied away from middle of the field passes. McCarthy, the current play-caller, seems almost allergic to it. But it’s the one area of the field that can really take the Cowboys passing attack to the next level, so it has to be a point of emphasis over the bye the week.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-what-we-learned-week-6-chargers/

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
Coming to this forum is like watching ground hog day. You guys repeat the same crap every year.

Dak is in his 8th year and that is what you would like to see from him? He is not going to change, Dak is what he is.

A middle of the pack QB. He is a Jekyll and Hyde QB. He can play well sometimes, especially against bad Defense, like the chargers, but he plays bad multiple times a year, especially in important games against good opponents.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Coming to this forum is like watching ground hog day. You guys repeat the same crap every year.

Dak is in his 8th year and that is what you would like to see from him? He is not going to change, Dak is what he is.

A middle of the pack QB. He is a Jekyll and Hyde QB. He can play well sometimes, especially against bad Defense, like the chargers, but he plays bad multiple times a year, especially in important games against good opponents.
Do you grasp the relevance of after-action-analysis and how they are used for realistic improvements...? No, you obviously don't have that reference knowledge.

Never mind, go back to your insultive 'intelligence.' :popcorn:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

The plays I'm talking about are ones he sorta used to do prior to his leg injury. I'm just saying that I want to see him use his legs more to free up WRs by making the defence account for his scramble ability. That was working against the Chargers. So, I wrote this thread to say that I basically want MM to use that strength of Dak more.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I agree with Rusty and I said it after the 9ers game...Dak is a dual threat QB, so don't try and make him a pocket passer. Dak needs to get hit a few to get into the feel of the game, so get him running and call some bootlegs or rollout.

Also, I'm like Rusty, I give credit and/or criticism where it's due, and Dak played a solid game. I've just tempered any enthusiasm as the Chargers have the 31 ranked pass defense. This performance was something to build on, tho.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys finally have the offensive line they envisioned since the start of 2022 training camp. But there's work to do for eight-time Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith, left guard Tyler Smith, center Tyler Biadasz, six-time All-Pro right guard Zack Martin and right tackle Terence Steele.

Prescott was sacked a season-high five times, and the running game struggled badly outside of Prescott's 18-yarder on a zone read. Running backs Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle combined for 42 yards on 18 carries, a 2.3-yard average.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-win-while-finally-playing-171615628.html

Prescott's lone touchdown pass was a perfect throw to Brandin Cooks on a crossing route in the end zone. The 2-yard score was his first with the Cowboys for Cooks, an offseason trade acquisition.

Prescott should have had another TD on one of his best throws of the season, but Michael Gallup couldn't hang on in the end zone.

The numbers weren't remarkable — 21 of 30 for 272 yards — but Prescott didn't have an interception a week after tying his career high with three against the Niners. He has three sub-80 passer ratings already this season, but has answered each with a triple-digit performance.

Jipper

Reaction score

You are right he is what he is , but the point his is that there are things he is asked to do that he is not that good at so they need to focus on his skill set.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You are right he is what he is , but the point his is that there are things he is asked to do that he is not that good at so they need to focus on his skill set.
Teach the man to do his job...and hold him to standard or move on. The quarterback for the Lions has finally become very good.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What MM should do, it not to try to make Dak more than what he is. But to utilize the WR & TE skills to make them more effective in his game plans and schemes.
Instead of forcing them into what he is trying to make Dak into.

If that is what is going on. Just an off the wall opinion.

Oh, and yeah, we need a RB. That will help.

plymkr

Reaction score
The scheme is terrible. Dak needs to continue to run when it is there.
When he runs or scrambles he’s in the best place to make a play. Everyone improvises and this loosens up the defense. Dak being a stand in pocket passer in this system is failing at this point. Dak using his legs and getting out of the pocket has been better, Ala Monday night.

Reaction score
What I saw on Monday is what I want to see more from Dak. I was hard on him last week. The reason is because I credit players when they deserve credit, and I saddle them with blame when it's warranted. This week, Dak gets a lot of credit from me for his play.

Specifically, I am glad that he FINALLY started using his legs more. This is what he needs to do more. This is where he's at his best. He's solid enough in the pocket. However, if defences have to fear his running ability, that can open up more passing lanes, which means that's one less WR that's covered. I would love it if McCarthy, during this bye week, would incorporate this more into the offense.

For those of you that say, "well Rusty, then that diminishes his QB skill", most QBs do this now. Lamar, Hurts, Mahomes, Zach Wilson, and just about any other QB nowadays has to be able to scramble and pickup yards with his feet. Dak is no different. I understand he had the unfortunate leg injury in 2020, but I think he's far enough removed from that to where Mike McCarthy should have more confidence in his ability. Especially after how well Dak was able to use his legs against the Chargers. His running and throwing ability, when used together, are when I think he can be one of the better QBs in the league. In other words, take the kid gloves off Dak when it comes to scrambling. Let him scramble when he sees fit. It will make the offense more dynamic.
I'm fine with him running more, he needs to do it, but what I'm not fine with is his inability to make the quick read and pull the trigger. If he can't make the reads or deliver the accurate throw then I guess chaos and luck will have to be our game plan as we roll with scramble drills all afternoon. Of course the OL needs to do better, we can't have a jailbreak followed by a Benny Hill skit with Dak dodging tacklers all over the field, but when the play calls for the ball to come out the freaking ball needs to come out.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm fine with him running more, he needs to do it, but what I'm not fine with is his inability to make the quick read and pull the trigger. If he can't make the reads or deliver the accurate throw then I guess chaos and luck will have to be our game plan as we roll with scramble drills all afternoon. Of course the OL needs to do better, we can't have a jailbreak followed by a Benny Hill skit with Dak dodging tacklers all over the field, but when the play calls for the ball to come out the freaking ball needs to come out.
You have to do your mission. If in conflict sport, there is risk...you are paid for that as well.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

True, but that's where him running a bit more might help. If defences know that he's likely to run a bit more, then that should free up a potential receiver, which gives Dak the advantage when he throws.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Dak Prescott, the talented quarterback, has recently experienced a setback in his offensive playstyle due to his difficulty in reading defenses effectively. As a result, the coaching staff has had to simplify the playbook, limiting the complexity of the plays for Prescott to ensure better on-field communication and decision-making. This reduction in strategic options has the potential to hinder the team's versatility and potency on offense. However, it may provide a much-needed opportunity for Prescott to build his foundation on fundamental plays and gradually develop a stronger understanding of reading defenses. Over time, this approach could empower him with the necessary tools to expand his repertoire and lead his team to greater success on the gridiron
Chat gpt??

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It seemed like Da
When he runs or scrambles he’s in the best place to make a play. Everyone improvises and this loosens up the defense. Dak being a stand in pocket passer in this system is failing at this point. Dak using his legs and getting out of the pocket has been better, Ala Monday night.
It took an elite QB to overcome mikes terrible system. Dak isn't that guy and that's no knock on him he just isn't as good as young Rogers was. Dak will need to use everything in his arsenal to not look completely terrible every week.

TheCritic

Reaction score
The OP's argument for Dak this week reminds me of those battered wives "But he treat me so good today" LOL

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The OP's argument for Dak this week reminds me of those battered wives "But he treat me so good today" LOL

What are you on about? I'm simply pointing out that the way Dak was using his legs is what I think has not been used nearly enough of late. I think using his legs more makes him more dangerous. How the heck does that sound anything like what you're saying?