CFZ What I saw on Monday is what I want to see more from Dak

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
What I saw on Monday is what I want to see more from Dak. I was hard on him last week. The reason is because I credit players when they deserve credit, and I saddle them with blame when it's warranted. This week, Dak gets a lot of credit from me for his play.

Specifically, I am glad that he FINALLY started using his legs more. This is what he needs to do more. This is where he's at his best. He's solid enough in the pocket. However, if defences have to fear his running ability, that can open up more passing lanes, which means that's one less WR that's covered. I would love it if McCarthy, during this bye week, would incorporate this more into the offense.

For those of you that say, "well Rusty, then that diminishes his QB skill", most QBs do this now. Lamar, Hurts, Mahomes, Zach Wilson, and just about any other QB nowadays has to be able to scramble and pickup yards with his feet. Dak is no different. I understand he had the unfortunate leg injury in 2020, but I think he's far enough removed from that to where Mike McCarthy should have more confidence in his ability. Especially after how well Dak was able to use his legs against the Chargers. His running and throwing ability, when used together, are when I think he can be one of the better QBs in the league. In other words, take the kid gloves off Dak when it comes to scrambling. Let him scramble when he sees fit. It will make the offense more dynamic.
If the Cowboys need Dak to use his legs for this offense to be consistent and successful, just like we needed Romo to do the same in way too many games, this team will get the same results. You can't rely on broken play heroics to get you into and through the playoffs.

Plus, it increases the chances of an injury when you want your QB to escape the pocket too often.

The pre-game offensive strategies and the in-game play calling simply have to get better. Dak needs to be armed with more motion and pre-snap reads so he can drop back and get rid of the ball, after making a quick 1-2 read. With this o-line, there's no time to hold the ball and scan a 3rd and 4th read. Make a 1-2 read, and if neither are open, then dump off it in the flat or throw the ball away. Don't want Dak to plan on holding the ball, thinking he can escape, hoping to make that one big play that could change the game. Yes, on occasion, on a key 3rd down or late in a game, when the opportunity presents itself, Dak may be able to step up and slide through or slide out and keep his eyes downfield. But if the offense starts to hope for Dak's escapability as part of a standard protocol, this offense will only get worse, not better...and Dak will eventually get caught in a weird tackle or will get pummeled in the pocket, and will exit with a serious injury.

Make a few quick reads and get rid of the ball to a check-down receiver, or just throw it out of bounds near a receiver (or throw it 5 yards in front of them at their feet).

So, instead of requiring Dak to get used to escaping, the o-line is going to have to get better at pass blocking.

And, where I DO want Dak's legs used more is in play action. Can they run some basic play-action bootlegs, to his strong side (to the right), making an easy read to the TE or FB (yes, can we use the FB more please???? especially if the plan is to establish the run???). And hec, you can even try to catch Lamb on a double move as a first read, or a receiver dragging across the middle of the field. But mix in some bootlegs, occasionally to the left on his blind side as well (but less often unless the running game is really clicking at that point).

We just need a better OC to make the game easier on the QB and the offense, but not easier on the defense (so use more motion, more formations, more pre-snap adjustments like flipping the sides of the TE, etc.). There are so many plays early in the game that the Cowboys run that most of us know what's coming, just by formation. And if WE know as fans, then you know the defense knows, and they're salivating. :mad:

TheCritic

Reaction score
What are you on about? I'm simply pointing out that the way Dak was using his legs is what I think has not been used nearly enough of late. I think using his legs more makes him more dangerous. How the heck does that sound anything like what you're saying?
I can guarantee that your next Dak meltdown will be right around the corner. Others in this thread have pointed out how Dak doesn't show up when it counts the most. 8 year track record. His running abilities comes at the risk of exposing a 30 year old QB to injury. There's a reason Dak hasn't been a running QB since his 2020 injury.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak’s best years were when he ran more. However, it does make him more susceptible to injury. If he goes down, it’s season over if it’s a lengthy injury.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If the Cowboys need Dak to use his legs for this offense to be consistent and successful, just like we needed Romo to do the same in way too many games, this team will get the same results. You can't rely on broken play heroics to get you into and through the playoffs.

Plus, it increases the chances of an injury when you want your QB to escape the pocket too often.

The pre-game offensive strategies and the in-game play calling simply have to get better. Dak needs to be armed with more motion and pre-snap reads so he can drop back and get rid of the ball, after making a quick 1-2 read. With this o-line, there's no time to hold the ball and scan a 3rd and 4th read. Make a 1-2 read, and if neither are open, then dump off it in the flat or throw the ball away. Don't want Dak to plan on holding the ball, thinking he can escape, hoping to make that one big play that could change the game. Yes, on occasion, on a key 3rd down or late in a game, when the opportunity presents itself, Dak may be able to step up and slide through or slide out and keep his eyes downfield. But if the offense starts to hope for Dak's escapability as part of a standard protocol, this offense will only get worse, not better...and Dak will eventually get caught in a weird tackle or will get pummeled in the pocket, and will exit with a serious injury.

Make a few quick reads and get rid of the ball to a check-down receiver, or just throw it out of bounds near a receiver (or throw it 5 yards in front of them at their feet).

So, instead of requiring Dak to get used to escaping, the o-line is going to have to get better at pass blocking.

And, where I DO want Dak's legs used more is in play action. Can they run some basic play-action bootlegs, to his strong side (to the right), making an easy read to the TE or FB (yes, can we use the FB more please???? especially if the plan is to establish the run???). And hec, you can even try to catch Lamb on a double move as a first read, or a receiver dragging across the middle of the field. But mix in some bootlegs, occasionally to the left on his blind side as well (but less often unless the running game is really clicking at that point).

We just need a better OC to make the game easier on the QB and the offense, but not easier on the defense (so use more motion, more formations, more pre-snap adjustments like flipping the sides of the TE, etc.). There are so many plays early in the game that the Cowboys run that most of us know what's coming, just by formation. And if WE know as fans, then you know the defense knows, and they're salivating. :mad:

I'm not saying rely on broken plays. If anything, I think a few more designed runs for Dak would help. It would help freeze the defence just enough to help get WRs more open.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I'm not saying rely on broken plays. If anything, I think a few more designed runs for Dak would help. It would help freeze the defence just enough to help get WRs more open.
I agree, and to me, the best way to get him in motion is the use of bootleg...because then he could have the run/pass option. Read Option plays would be good too, but at Dak's age, he can't turn into a pure RB too often in the middle of the field, increasing the risk of injury. So maybe 1 read option per half or something, MAX. But McCarthy could call play action bootlegs 3 or 4 times per half, especially on 1st down.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree, and to me, the best way to get him in motion is the use of bootleg...because then he could have the run/pass option. Read Option plays would be good too, but at Dak's age, he can't turn into a pure RB too often in the middle of the field, increasing the risk of injury. So maybe 1 read option per half or something, MAX. But McCarthy could call play action bootlegs 3 or 4 times per half, especially on 1st down.

Or some mix. Our RBs aren't cutting it, and Mike wants to run more. The QB gets protection if he slides. So, let him run, get some yards, and slide before he gets hit.