What I would offer to Seahawks for Earl Thomas

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Trade conditional 2019 2nd round pick.
  • If Thomas gets hurt and plays less than 8 games, pick downgrades to 2019 3rd round pick
  • If Cowboys make Super Bowl and Thomas plays more than 8 games, pick upgrades to 2019 1st round pick
Here is the contract I would offer Thomas: 5 years, $67.5 million, $16 million signing bonus, $30 million guaranteed.
  • 2018 - $1M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $4.2M salary CAP hit
  • 2019 - $13M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.2M salary CAP hit
Cowboys have out after two years, with $9.6M Salary CAP hit
  • 2020 - $10.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $13.7M salary CAP hit (Salary Guaranteed if he's on the roster the 5th day of the NFL league year.)
Cowboys have out after three years with $6.4M salary CAP hit.
  • 2021 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
  • 2022 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
This makes Thomas the highest paid safety in the NFL at $13.5M per season average. If they keep him 3 years, it is a 3-year, $40.5M deal. Thomas doubles his 2018 paycheck from $8.5M to $17M total in salary and signing bonus. If the Cowboys dump him after two years, he averages $15M per season. So the Cowboys have an incentive to keep him at least 3 years, until he's 31 years old. They can dump him before his 32nd birthday, and save $27M, with only a $6.4M CAP hit in 2021 (saving $10.3M against the CAP.) But if he keeps playing well, he's likely going to be a bargain at ages 32 & 33. Guys like Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson played well into their late 30's, so I think this is minimal risk.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
Seattle isn't going to agree to those kind of conditions.

Injuries happen. We could lose Dak, Zeke, and DLaw in the first game. That's just football.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Yes 3rd if where I'm at as well. That's a little high but I'm willing to part with a 3rd if his salary won't be outrageous.

If Thomas continues to play like an All-Pro, giving up a 2nd round pick is a bargain. He could put this team over the top on defense. It's not just about how he plays. Like Sean Lee, Earl Thomas gets other players in the right position pre-snap. He has instincts comparable to Lee. In my opinion, no one the Cowboys might pick next year in the 2nd round can compare to what Thomas brings to the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Thomas continues to play like an All-Pro, giving up a 2nd round pick is a bargain. He could put this team over the top on defense. It's not just about how he plays. Like Sean Lee, Earl Thomas gets other players in the right position pre-snap. He has instincts comparable to Lee. In my opinion, no one the Cowboys might pick next year in the 2nd round can compare to what Thomas brings to the team.

I'll give up the straight 2nd round pick in 2019. No up or down conditions.

Your overall numbers are higher than I want to go in terms of paying him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
SOMETHING has to give with Seattle and Thomas. Whether that's him playing out his current deal,or being traded...SOMETHING has to happen soon.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trade conditional 2019 2nd round pick.
  • If Thomas gets hurt and plays less than 8 games, pick downgrades to 2019 3rd round pick
  • If Cowboys make Super Bowl and Thomas plays more than 8 games, pick upgrades to 2019 1st round pick
Here is the contract I would offer Thomas: 5 years, $67.5 million, $16 million signing bonus, $30 million guaranteed.
  • 2018 - $1M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $4.2M salary CAP hit
  • 2019 - $13M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.2M salary CAP hit
Cowboys have out after two years, with $9.6M Salary CAP hit
  • 2020 - $10.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $13.7M salary CAP hit (Salary Guaranteed if he's on the roster the 5th day of the NFL league year.)
Cowboys have out after three years with $6.4M salary CAP hit.
  • 2021 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
  • 2022 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
This makes Thomas the highest paid safety in the NFL at $13.5M per season average. If they keep him 3 years, it is a 3-year, $40.5M deal. Thomas doubles his 2018 paycheck from $8.5M to $17M total in salary and signing bonus. If the Cowboys dump him after two years, he averages $15M per season. So the Cowboys have an incentive to keep him at least 3 years, until he's 31 years old. They can dump him before his 32nd birthday, and save $27M, with only a $6.4M CAP hit in 2021 (saving $10.3M against the CAP.) But if he keeps playing well, he's likely going to be a bargain at ages 32 & 33. Guys like Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson played well into their late 30's, so I think this is minimal risk.

If they were going to do that, it would already be done.

I do think the Cowboys and ET/Agent agreed on a contract when the Cowboys and Seahawks were negotiating prior to and during the draft.

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
SOMETHING has to give with Seattle and Thomas. Whether that's him playing out his current deal,or being traded...SOMETHING has to happen soon.

Or he could hold out until Week 11 to qualify for free agency.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
If they were going to do that, it would already be done.

I do think the Cowboys and ET/Agent agreed on a contract when the Cowboys and Seahawks were negotiating prior to and during the draft.

There was no reason to do it before now. And the Seahawks are likely asking for a 1st round pick. The Cowboys had good reason to let training camp play out, and see how their young players performed. There was no hurry to get this deal done before the 1st regular season game. Also, the Seahawks had no incentive to do a deal until now either. This deal protects the Cowboys, and gives the Seahawks the opportunity for a late 1st round pick. And it pays Thomas what he wants to be paid.

As the recent deals for Donald, Rodgers, and Beckham show, the market is going up. Locking in Thomas is a good strategy for the Cowboys. They've already set themselves up to walk away from Lawrence next year, with replacement Taco Charlton waiting in the wings. And they can afford to do this deal now. Everyone wins in this scenario.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Thomas cant help this 6-8 win season about to happen. If they want him this offseason then go get him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

We’ve got so close to the season that we might as well wait and see what the defense can be without him before we give up a 2.

The defense could be fools gold and not worth investing in Earl Thomas.

If we play good defense then they should get it done.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
ET can and will be an instant difference maker in the same manner that Charles Haley and Deion Sanders were. This FO needs to make winning a priority and do the damn thing already.