What I would offer to Seahawks for Earl Thomas

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trade conditional 2019 2nd round pick.
  • If Thomas gets hurt and plays less than 8 games, pick downgrades to 2019 3rd round pick
  • If Cowboys make Super Bowl and Thomas plays more than 8 games, pick upgrades to 2019 1st round pick
Here is the contract I would offer Thomas: 5 years, $67.5 million, $16 million signing bonus, $30 million guaranteed.
  • 2018 - $1M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $4.2M salary CAP hit
  • 2019 - $13M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.2M salary CAP hit
Cowboys have out after two years, with $9.6M Salary CAP hit
  • 2020 - $10.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $13.7M salary CAP hit (Salary Guaranteed if he's on the roster the 5th day of the NFL league year.)
Cowboys have out after three years with $6.4M salary CAP hit.
  • 2021 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
  • 2022 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
This makes Thomas the highest paid safety in the NFL at $13.5M per season average. If they keep him 3 years, it is a 3-year, $40.5M deal. Thomas doubles his 2018 paycheck from $8.5M to $17M total in salary and signing bonus. If the Cowboys dump him after two years, he averages $15M per season. So the Cowboys have an incentive to keep him at least 3 years, until he's 31 years old. They can dump him before his 32nd birthday, and save $27M, with only a $6.4M CAP hit in 2021 (saving $10.3M against the CAP.) But if he keeps playing well, he's likely going to be a bargain at ages 32 & 33. Guys like Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson played well into their late 30's, so I think this is minimal risk.

In general it is not a good strategy to both give up a premium pick and pay big money to a player.

They could have signed the best FS in free agency any of the past few years and could in any upcoming years without giving up any picks.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The cowboys already declined to trade a 2nd Rd pick for ET in the draft,his stock is way down now due to hold out.I would give them a 3rd but i doubt the Cowboys will do it.
Holding out doesnt Make your stock go down, much less "way down". See Mack

You can guarantee that the Cowboys have offered a 3rd.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lol those dudes are mid twenties coming off rookie deals

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different bro wayyyyyyyyyy different

C- effort

Lmao Donald and Mack are both less than two years younger than Thomas. So no, not mid-twenties. This while Thomas playing at a position that ages better.

And what contract they are coming off of means absolutely nothing.

F- effort

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
There was no reason to do it before now. And the Seahawks are likely asking for a 1st round pick. The Cowboys had good reason to let training camp play out, and see how their young players performed. There was no hurry to get this deal done before the 1st regular season game. Also, the Seahawks had no incentive to do a deal until now either. This deal protects the Cowboys, and gives the Seahawks the opportunity for a late 1st round pick. And it pays Thomas what he wants to be paid.

As the recent deals for Donald, Rodgers, and Beckham show, the market is going up. Locking in Thomas is a good strategy for the Cowboys. They've already set themselves up to walk away from Lawrence next year, with replacement Taco Charlton waiting in the wings. And they can afford to do this deal now. Everyone wins in this scenario.

I agree with you on just about everything. Except that it would be stupid to walk away from Lawrence if he has another banner year. Taco hasn't shown anything yet to be a suitable replacement for Lawrence.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still on the no ET side of the debate, but it isn't like I'd be upset if they do it. ET will make us noticeably better. I'd say probably about a 2 game swing.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
The cowboys already declined to trade a 2nd Rd pick for ET in the draft,his stock is way down now due to hold out.I would give them a 3rd but i doubt the Cowboys will do it.
Seattle already refused a 3rd. If they only wanted a 3rd ET would be in Dallas already. They get a COMP 3rd if he walks after 2018 season.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
SOMETHING has to give with Seattle and Thomas. Whether that's him playing out his current deal,or being traded...SOMETHING has to happen soon.
No it really doesn’t. He can sit out games and miss game checks. While it sucks for Seattle on the field they gain that much cap space back. Seattle isn’t afraid to play chicken with their holdouts. Kam Chancellor held out the first 2 games a couple of years ago.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Hold out makes stock go down?

Mack.

Donald.

Evidence is clear.
Really? Oakland just got 2 firsts for Mack from Chicago, and Donald just signed a huge extension. Not saying this will happen with ET however.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would offer exactly what it would take to get him. Then pay the guy because he will give three, maybe four years of decent to outstanding leadership and safety play.

Wood

Reaction score
Trade conditional 2019 2nd round pick.
  • If Thomas gets hurt and plays less than 8 games, pick downgrades to 2019 3rd round pick
  • If Cowboys make Super Bowl and Thomas plays more than 8 games, pick upgrades to 2019 1st round pick
Here is the contract I would offer Thomas: 5 years, $67.5 million, $16 million signing bonus, $30 million guaranteed.
  • 2018 - $1M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $4.2M salary CAP hit
  • 2019 - $13M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.2M salary CAP hit
Cowboys have out after two years, with $9.6M Salary CAP hit
  • 2020 - $10.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $13.7M salary CAP hit (Salary Guaranteed if he's on the roster the 5th day of the NFL league year.)
Cowboys have out after three years with $6.4M salary CAP hit.
  • 2021 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
  • 2022 - $13.5M salary + $3.2M prorated bonus = $16.7M salary CAP hit
This makes Thomas the highest paid safety in the NFL at $13.5M per season average. If they keep him 3 years, it is a 3-year, $40.5M deal. Thomas doubles his 2018 paycheck from $8.5M to $17M total in salary and signing bonus. If the Cowboys dump him after two years, he averages $15M per season. So the Cowboys have an incentive to keep him at least 3 years, until he's 31 years old. They can dump him before his 32nd birthday, and save $27M, with only a $6.4M CAP hit in 2021 (saving $10.3M against the CAP.) But if he keeps playing well, he's likely going to be a bargain at ages 32 & 33. Guys like Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson played well into their late 30's, so I think this is minimal risk.

Its entirely possible Seattle is asking for a 1st not a 2nd from Dallas. I don't see any scenario Dallas gives them a 1st considering he is available after season.

cern

Reaction score
As the Mcclay/stephen duo continues to put their stamp on the team. It becomes obvious they are looking for players who will be this team's future as opposed to those who have been other teams past. Ergo no earl.