Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then we riot.

I am so ready!

source.gif

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't think you can get 'em, but I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised.

Not making predictions, but some things to think about. Jerry was clear this was the make or break year for Garrett and pointedly refused to give him a contract extension. So -

1 - there is no way Jerry isn't planning way ahead of time for the scenario that its Garrett's last year. No NFL owner gets caught flat footed like that.

2 - Jerry is a lot less involved in the day to day operations so he has more time on the yacht to plan this kind of thing.

3 - Jerry just might be getting to the age that he thinks this is his last big move, so Jerry being Jerry that would point to a huge move like Belichick. If Jerry offered him 30 million a year and more control than any other coach, does Belichick turn that down?

MrPhil

Reaction score
Definitely nervous about who the Jones's bring in. But as they say "if nothing changes then nothing changes." I am beyond ready to risk it at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not making predictions, but some things to think about. Jerry was clear this was the make or break year for Garrett and pointedly refused to give him a contract extension. So -

1 - there is no way Jerry isn't planning way ahead of time for the scenario that its Garrett's last year. No NFL owner gets caught flat footed like that.

2 - Jerry is a lot less involved in the day to day operations so he has more time on the yacht to plan this kind of thing.

3 - Jerry just might be getting to the age that he thinks this is his last big move, so Jerry being Jerry that would point to a huge move like Belichick. If Jerry offered him 30 million a year and more control than any other coach, does Belichick turn that down?

I hope you're right on all counts, I'm just not counting on it.

(I've been hurt before... :()

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Or he wants to prove that he's such a great guy to work for, Meyer openly auditioned for the job.

I don't get the shine on this job. This isn't Landry, Johnson or Parcells, who said the same thing about having that on his resume. This job is THE job for all of the wrong reasons. They get coverage but it's not just about football. They get viewers but it's not just about the fans. Their players get the star treatment for doing nothing.

I gotta say, I am intrigued by this, ron, because I don't know if you've experienced this but I have more than I'd like to remember. There's the job you interview for and the one it ends up being. I could see Booger going along to get Meyer but then when it either gets really good or bad, can't keep himself in check. Are Booger & Son going to agree to stay out of Meyer's coaches and team meetings? Is Booger going to allow Meyer to announce the injuries? Is Booger going to keep his mouth shut after a game and not beat his HC to the post game comments?

Hell, hire Meyer and let the fun begin.
Those are the key questions cc...........history says no though.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What would you think then?

Would it be a big deal with you or not?

Would you be happy because you didn't want the guy in the first place?

Would you be saddened that they missed out on the best candidate?

For me, if all of this smoke doesn't materialize in his hiring I will be extremely disappointed and resigned to the fact that Jerry Jones would not make the needed concessions and loosening of his death grip.

Despite the joy of Garrett being gone, I will worry about just more of the same with a new name rather than actual change in this team.

What say you all?

I think it's more of the same regardless of who they install as next puppet. The puppet master is still in charge, he has made that clear.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's more of the same regardless of who they install as next puppet. The puppet master is still in charge, he has made that clear.

I have faith in Meyer and one or two other big names. Those guys have options and don't need to put up with Jerry's BS and I don't expect that they would. That's why a hire of Meyer or Payton or Belichick would give me hope of change.

Others? Just more of the same with different names to holler about!
:angry:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have faith in Meyer and one or two other big names. Those guys have options and don't need to put up with Jerry's BS and I don't expect that they would. That's why a hire of Meyer or Payton or Belichick would give me hope of change.

Others? Just more of the same with different names to holler about!
:angry:

I'd have to see those big names actually bring in their own staff. That is what worries me. I will have to see the HC has power to affect his staff and players before I can believe it at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd have to see those big names actually bring in their own staff. That is what worries me. I will have to see the HC has power to affect his staff and players before I can believe it at this point.

Would retaining any of the current staff be a deal-breaker for you?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
It depends...what is the alternative. If they went out on a limb like Matt Rhule or did go the Lincoln Riley route I'd be excited. Honestly, as mentioned earlier, as long as its not a retread with our current coordinators I'll be happy we have moved on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends...what is the alternative. If they went out on a limb like Matt Rhule or did go the Lincoln Riley route I'd be excited. Honestly, as mentioned earlier, as long as its not a retread with our current coordinators I'll be happy we have moved on.

So a Ron Rivera/Kellen Moore combo wouldn't move the needle for ya?

quickccc

Reaction score

For me, if all of this smoke doesn't materialize in his hiring I will be extremely disappointed and resigned to the fact that Jerry Jones would not make the needed concessions and loosening of his death grip.

Despite the joy of Garrett being gone, I will worry about just more of the same with a new name rather than actual change in this team.

What say you all?

When I’m putting together our supreme plan and idea for a new HC, I’m also looking at either continuation at what was already successful
and what didn’t work and needs to be revamped; and what coach would be idea for cornerstone players on this team
but far most what coach has what it takes as a total leader and overseer of a team

I’m not interest in throwing out any and every known name .. whether NFL or college rank, … just for the sake of any known name (David Shaw, Mike McCarthy, Jim Harbaugh,
Ron Rivera, Dan Mullen, Nick Saban, etc.)

Like many here, I can see why interest would be in Urban Meyer because a lot of what he does, has done and how much of his coaching makeup seems similar
or adaptable to what we do here or could be to certain players here.

- For example he is well familiar with ex-Buckeye Zeke Elliott, he knows his ability, style and what would be best plans and ways to best utilize Zeke.
- He’s had a string of success working with QBs, that speaks volume with Dak’s progress and further development
- He has a championship winning pedigree and he’s done so wherever he has been Ohio state, Florida, etc.
- He has a brilliant offensive mind a spread field wide open approach and a way of creating ways to challenge opposing defenses; you want a coach that is constantly expanding and innonative
( ala Peyton multi-use of specialized backup QB Shaun Hill)

Meyer seems to be fitting the leading credentials for the HC among fan base thus far, I really think will be the front runner when it comes down to it.
I could say

We'll see if power/authority control could threatening the hire, but it's a reason why Urban would first make a comment on a possible Cowboys HC job.
But even before Meyer, we have to already have well planned our list of interest in several HC candidates, scout their games, meet with them up close
if plan A doesn't work out , .then it's on to Plan B,... Plan C, and so forth.

erod

Reaction score

What say you all?
I do wonder if he and Jerry would make it through a full season together.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Would retaining any of the current staff be a deal-breaker for you?

Defense and ST need an overhaul. That may not be fair if Richard is being held back by Marinelli but I don't care about that. We need 1 philosophy that everyone understands and buys into.

As for offense, I think Moore is too inexperienced to be calling plays. He's smart and is learning but he needs help. At the very least we need a more qualified/ experienced offensive assistant to help Moore and the same for the Colombo with the OL.