What if Teddy Bridgewater is there at 16?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everybody's defensive minded going into this draft, and with good reason. We all have targeted a defender or two we hope will be there at 16. But what if Teddy Bridgewater really does slide down to the Cowboys' pick? Do you stick with defense or bust or do you reverse course and select the QB?

I'm not asking what the Cowboys would do. They'd probably look to trade out or select a non-QB, but what would you do?

Me? I'm tearing up my first round plans and jumping on the opportunity. It could really pay off large down the road. Much more than any defender who figures to be available at that pick.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Everybody's defensive minded going into this draft, and with good reason. We all have targeted a defender or two we hope will be there at 16. But what if Teddy Bridgewater really does slide down to the Cowboys' pick? Do you stick with defense or bust or do you reverse course and select the QB?

I'm not asking what the Cowboys would do. They'd probably look to trade out or select a non-QB, but what would you do?

Me? I'm tearing up my first round plans and jumping on the opportunity. It could really pay off large down the road. Much more than any defender who figures to be available at that pick.

Totally agree.

tm1119

Reaction score
Depends what the trade offer is...I could definitely be talked into trading down, but if the offer isn't right (more than just a 3rd) I would draft Bridewater over anyone not named Donald on the board.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

I try to ransom the pick or draft a non QB at 16..........two reasons why.

First, I don't think Bridgewater is all that. He looked terrible at his pro day. A franchise QB should not struggle like he did throwing against air.

Second, drafting a QB is a signal that this season and probably next are give ups. A rookie QB does nothing to help your team for at least 2 seasons, so that tells me this season and next are give ups. That would signal that the team believes it is incapable of winning anything significant over these next 2 seasons and it is time to look to the future.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
Yeah I can't see an Ealy or Martin, etc. making a bigger impact over their Cowboy careers than Bridgewater would. I would probably prefer an equal value trade down, but if I'm hanging in there and making a pick, I wouldn't mind Teddy B.

Fredd

Reaction score
what would I do? work for a trade down...if none there, I see what other players are there...I like Teddy the B but not enough to screw the pooch on this draft...

rags747

Reaction score

So is this only for Bridewater or are u down for Manziel facing the same situation?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd probably work hard to get a real monster trade down (say, a late first, a third and next year's first). If I don't get one, I take him and don't look back.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I think he will definitely be there at 16, but I wouldn't take him. If we did though, I'd still be content.

DFWJC

Reaction score

You like him more thanI do, RS.

If I'm Dallas, I'm. taking
  1. the BPA that fits need
  2. Trade down
  3. BPA regardless of need--which still may not be Bridgewater, but if he is so be it.

KB1122

Reaction score
Quarterbacks who are going to win Super Bowls don't sit for long. They will get playing time and challenge for the starting spot by season 2.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
So is this only for Bridewater or are u down for Manziel facing the same situation?

Personally, I wouldn't draft Manziel even if he was there with our 2nd round pick. Maybe not even our 3rd. But I'm with Risen. Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft and it's not even close, in my opinion. Manziel is a gimmick, and Bortles and Carr are average. I would take Bridgewater. Best shot we'll have at a QB in the new few years, since we won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick unless Romo misses the season.

KB1122

Reaction score
As to RS's question .... I don't know. This is a really tough one. For one thing, I just think that you want to take your quarterback in the first five picks, or at least take a quarterback that you would take that high. Like Favre was taking early second, but Ron Wolf would have taken him at No. 1 overall, and eventually used a first-round pick to bring him to Green Bay.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't draft Manziel even if he was there with our 2nd round pick. Maybe not even our 3rd. But I'm with Risen. Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft and it's not even close, in my opinion. Manziel is a gimmick, and Bortles and Carr are average. I would take Bridgewater. Best shot we'll have at a QB in the new few years, since we won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick unless Romo misses the season.

But if he's at 16, then he's not a top 5 pick.
Plus most of this board (not me) are predicting we will worse this year, not better.

I will say this, if you really think Bridgewater is a true franchise QB where you no way be able to find later I the draft this year or anytime in the next two years...then yes, you would take him

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
But if he's at 16, then he's not a top 5 pick.
Plus most of this board (not me) are predicting we will worse this year, not better.

I will say this, if you really think Bridgewater is a true franchise QB where you no way be able to find later I the draft this year or anytime in the next two years...then yes, you would take him

I'm saying he's a top 5 talent. The only way we'll be able to get a guy like him in the next few drafts is if we're picking in the top 5, and I don't think we'll be that bad in the next few years (I predict around 8-8 like usual). I think Teddy is our only opportunity at getting a top 5 talent QB before Romo retires.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
1. Listen to trade offers
2. Unless you're offered the moon, take him.

Bridgewater's fall befuddles me. Let's ignore his hours of game tape and focus on a pro day without pads in a controlled environment in which he finally had a subpar outing.