What if Teddy Bridgewater is there at 16?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
1. Listen to trade offers
2. Unless you're offered the moon, take him.

Bridgewater's fall befuddles me. Let's ignore his hours of game tape and focus on a pro day without pads in a controlled environment in which he finally had a subpar outing.

I feel you. Cossell is one of the most respect tape guys. He can't understand the love for Manziel. He said Manziel does none of the things in real games that you saw during his pro day. I don't understand how people ignore years of game film because of a pro day. Cossell said Manziel was setting his feet when making throws during his pro day and he almost never does during real games.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I take the guy who was touted as the 1st to 2nd overall pick up the last NCAA season until these last 2 months.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Everybody's defensive minded going into this draft, and with good reason. We all have targeted a defender or two we hope will be there at 16. But what if Teddy Bridgewater really does slide down to the Cowboys' pick? Do you stick with defense or bust or do you reverse course and select the QB?

I'm not asking what the Cowboys would do. They'd probably look to trade out or select a non-QB, but what would you do?

Me? I'm tearing up my first round plans and jumping on the opportunity. It could really pay off large down the road. Much more than any defender who figures to be available at that pick.

I wouldn't take any of these QBs in the 1st 2 rounds. I would be happy with a Donald or Lewan pick or better yet a trade down and start me off with the G from UCLA. Or trae down andstill find Donald or Martin at #25...because you never know who will drop. And these guys could go top 10 or bottom of the 1st​

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm saying he's a top 5 talent. The only way we'll be able to get a guy like him in the next few drafts is if we're picking in the top 5, and I don't think we'll be that bad in the next few years (I predict around 8-8 like usual). I think Teddy is our only opportunity at getting a top 5 talent QB before Romo retires.

Fair enough.
I'm not sure if he's even better than Geno Smith--who many were touting as a top 5 guy early last year and I strongly disagreed.
But I have to admit I'm not so certain what will happen with Teddy, but I feel pretty sure he's not a top 5 talent in this draft. He could have decent career anyway though.
Like with Manziel, this is a guy I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
1. Listen to trade offers
2. Unless you're offered the moon, take him.

Bridgewater's fall befuddles me. Let's ignore his hours of game tape and focus on a pro day without pads in a controlled environment in which he finally had a subpar outing.

Let's not confuse a prospect "falling" with a prospect getting bad press. I don't think the guys that do this stuff for pro teams are downgrading him based on his pro day.

jnday

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't draft Manziel even if he was there with our 2nd round pick. Maybe not even our 3rd. But I'm with Risen. Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft and it's not even close, in my opinion. Manziel is a gimmick, and Bortles and Carr are average. I would take Bridgewater. Best shot we'll have at a QB in the new few years, since we won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick unless Romo misses the season.

I feel the same way towards Teddy as you do Johnny. I doubt that I would take Teddy in the third or even the fourth.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Romo is good enough, I also think we are gambling with Romo's back at the same time. It looks like my plan for the crab heister could be a bad move next season.

If Teddy, Manziel, Carr or Bortles is there at 16, run to the podium and......

rolling-dice-1835924.jpg

Who knows when Dallas would have a chance to draft a possible franchise QB in the 1st. I still want Donald but it would be hard to pass up Teddy or Manziel if the opportunity arose.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Either there is a remarkable and effective conspiracy to muddy his name before the draft by teams around the league, or there are some serious red flags about this guy that we don't have all the info on... So with that in mind, I'm inclined to look to trade down or BPA here, leaning defensive line (Barr/Donald).

Nirvana

Reaction score
And then there is this:

weepingjebus says:May 1, 2014 2:20 PM
I think he’s crazy like a fox. Do well in college so you know you’re starting at a high draft spot, tank a single afternoon so all the terrible teams at the top of the draft skip you, get drafted by a great team at the bottom of the first round that actually knows what it’s doing, profit. Oh, but he’s giving up trillions dropping out of the top 10? Not under the new CBA!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...aters-bad-pro-day-confuses-me-confuses-teams/

I mean really, who would fail to wear their glove for their Pro Day when that is how they always throw?

KB1122

Reaction score
The more I think about it, I want a qb that can run. So I pass.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeah whatever it was to cause him to do it was dumb and he is paying the price for it.

On the surface it seems quite dumb. But there is one thing to consider.

The dynamics of being a draft choice now, especially a QB, is that you are going to be treated differently as in year's past.

Back in the day, you could be a Sam Bradford and get handed huge money up front to be a franchise savior and likely be tied into a 5-6 year contract

Now a QB can be taken later in the draft, have a shorter contract, and have a chance to hit a second contract free agency at a coveted position in four years (five if you are a first rounder).

By and large players now are gearing for that second contract. What is paid out thanks to draft positioning is far less lucrative than it used to be. In other words, it does not pay to be a late first versus and early second and you have a chance to remain the property of the team that drafted you longer.

Far fetched to think that someone could deliberately sabotage draft status, but once it became clear to him and his representation he was not going to be the top QB, it just seems strange that very little has been done to stop the tailspin. He did not have another workout with the glove, it also does not seem like there was a lot of action to stop the bleeding. Again, a little off the wall, but nothing about this makes sense anyways.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My bet is none of the 3 QBs get out of the top 10

Hope that's true. That would mean that a very good football player falls to us but I don't think it will be. None of these guys are complete projects to me. I know the draft pushes QBs up but at some point, you have to deal with what they are.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah I can't see an Ealy or Martin, etc. making a bigger impact over their Cowboy careers than Bridgewater would. I would probably prefer an equal value trade down, but if I'm hanging in there and making a pick, I wouldn't mind Teddy B.

While the ceiling in terms of impact on a team might be higher than say Martin, you have to weigh that with the likelihood of them having an impact at all. So while Martin's ceiling might not be as high as Bridgewater's, the likelihood Martin has a quality impact is likely higher than Bridgewater's.

To put in terms of numbers with 10 being the biggest impact and 0 being no impact, Bridgewater's range is like 2 through 10.............. Martin's is like 6-8.

All that being said, I like Bridgewater much more than Manziel or Bortles. So while I'd upchuck a bit if we took Manziel, I could live with Bridgewater.