What if the big game Jerry is after is one of his 2 former QBs that are in the Booth?

DFWJC

Reaction score
What if the big game Jerry is after is one of his 2 former QBs that are in the Booth? He will have to pay big money to get them out of the booth. Which one would you like?
It would not matter to me, I like the fiery Aikman and Romo will be creative and I believe he is more of a football junkie than Aikman
Has a former player (or anyone) EVER skipped to the head of the line to become an NFL Head Coach after never formally coaching at any level?

NO CHANCE

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Bart Starr was a HOF QB but look what he was as Packers Coach. He was probably the Packers version of Garrett. Couldn't get rid of him because he was Packers royalty. We don't need to waste another 10 years. Get a proven coach.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Neither. I want new blood in Dallas. ALL NEW BLOOD when it comes to the coaches.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I wish people would let this Romo idea sail. He isn't leaving his cushy, high paying, stress free gig to stand on the sidelines in Dallas.

visionary

Reaction score
It would be extremely stupid so I think if anyone would consider it, it would’ve Jerry (or a CZ poster )

jsb357

Reaction score
neither are qualified HC candidates which in Jerry's world pushes them to the front of the line.

Creeper

Reaction score
I bet Aikman would make a good GM but would he be better than Will McClay? He might be but if they hired Aikman into that spot, I am sure McClay would bolt. Perhaps they could hire Aikman as some kind of consultant. I bet Aikman would want players who are no nonsense on the field and all fire in the belly.

I don't think Romo would make a good head coach at all. He may be too cerebral. I never thought Romo was a great leader on the field. When he played that was one of the criticism of the team that no one seemed to be a leader. Who can forget that trip to Cabo before a playoff game?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Previous fascination: Wanting Jimmy Johnson to return to Jerry Jones, who did not support his head coach 100% in the end.

Current fascination: Wanting Tony Romo to return to Jerry Jones, who did not support his quarterback 100% in the end.

What's next? Jerry Jones FINALLY coming to his senses and getting himself a new mascot but only to see some people clamoring for Rowdy to return???

Serious question. Why do some people 'know' guys like Johnson or Romo want to work for Jones again? It cannot be simply money Jones might throw at them. They both have money. It cannot be because they expect Jones has changed his way of thinking as a general manager. They know better. I could go on-and-on. What is this never ending insanity?

mahoneybill

Reaction score
It'll never happen but this is a no-brainer with Romo getting the nod big-time over Troy.

tony breaks down, calls plays pre there happening. He also comments on D coverages. Troy good but doesn’t do that . He’s more after the fact commentary

starfan1

Reaction score
as player id take Aikman 10 times out of 10
as a coach id take Romo 10 times out of 10

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
stop settling and get a big time coach in here. put the damn ego aside and get a real head coach for once (won't happen).

I love Romo, and he's excellent as an announcer, but I've heard him twice in the last few weeks at end of half or end of game situations going over what to do and he's about as clueless as Garrett on time management.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree Romo would make a great OC, he had said in the past that once he retired he wanted to be an OC, but that was before he was offered the cushy booth job. I doubt he would leave it too. But with that being said does not mean Jerry will not offer the job. Really I cannot seeRomo being firm with players, but who really knows.
based on what? having been a QB doesn't automatically make you a good OC. being in the booth and making a few correct calls doesn't make you an OC....he needs a few years before he can truly be an OC if at all...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have no doubt that room would be a great OC
I see no evidence he’d be a great HC
why no doubt he will be a great OC? what gives you that feeling? couldnt' we then say Aikman would be great...he is a HOF QB after all. how about Elway? or Montana? just because they are great QBs, doesn't make them great coaches.

links18

Reaction score
Aikman would be a good coach, but I am not sure your first coaching gig should be as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. And he has a cushy job right now that it is not worth leaving. But this is precisely the kind of move Jerry might make.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Aikman would never work for Jerry. Romo is not a candidate to coach.

This, Troy would have a heart attack yelling at this team, like the clip someone posted of him yelling at the OL. Love the fire he had and trying to make that OL better.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
What if the big game Jerry is after is one of his 2 former QBs that are in the Booth? He will have to pay big money to get them out of the booth. Which one would you like?
It would not matter to me, I like the fiery Aikman and Romo will be creative and I believe he is more of a football junkie than Aikman

When was the last time someone went from the booth, having never coached, ton a head coach position?

Why on earth would you leave a job that requires about half the hours? Particularly after a playing career that gave you all the money you'll ever need.