What if the big game Jerry is after is one of his 2 former QBs that are in the Booth?

yimyammer

Reaction score
What if the big game Jerry is after is one of his 2 former QBs that are in the Booth? He will have to pay big money to get them out of the booth. Which one would you like?
It would not matter to me, I like the fiery Aikman and Romo will be creative and I believe he is more of a football junkie than Aikman

I'd love to see Troy in the front office but he's been critical of jeri (somewhat cryptically by not actually using jeri's name) for years so I suspect their relationship is frosty at best and jeri wouldn't let him do what needs to be done

you can hear Troy's frustration with the "front office" (aka jeri) often on his show on The Ticket, I posted todays show in this thread:

Troy had some doozies on todays Troy Aikman Show-full show posted here

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Ideally for me if Jerry really wanted to win a SB soon. He would put me in charge of hiring the coaching staff.
Since it is Jerrys money and not mine, I would hire.

Hire Aikman as the GM. Fire, Discipline, Accountability, Teamwork....not sure about motivation ability though or he would be head coach.
I assume Aikman and Will McClay will work great together -- even if I have to increase Will McClays pay to keep him.
Hire Coach Orgeron as the HC ... Fire, Discipline, Teamwork and Motivation.......
Hire Romo or Lincoln Riley as the OC. Motivation, Cerebral ability, great leader.. either has
Hire Dan Quinn from Atlanta as the DC. Excellent DC and leader of men.

Then let them figure out the rest of the staff.

Give it three years and reap the benefits or make changes. Pay them to not all want to bolt at every HC opening. Explain expectations and hold coaches accountable.
Allow these 4 to hold the players and all the assistants they choose accountable.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither will happen.

Romo seems to be a great X and O guy, recognizes everything, or so it seems.
But we have no idea how that translates into coaching. Does Romo have the fire power and will, and toughness to be a hard *** when needed.
Can and will he make the tough choices like a Parcells or Belichick.

Aikman, well, he seems he would get to irritated with the stupid stuff, and doesn't want the stress of dealing with it. Not worth his time.

Now bring in Romo as a play consultant on both side of the ball. He can sit in a booth and call down to the OC & DC to tell what he sees.
Aikman as a consultant or advisor to give his opinions and make a few decisions, like a CO-GM type of role. Then he don't have the agony of dealing with all the other every day stuff.

That may work.

conner01

Reaction score
why no doubt he will be a great OC? what gives you that feeling? couldnt' we then say Aikman would be great...he is a HOF QB after all. how about Elway? or Montana? just because they are great QBs, doesn't make them great coaches.
Romo has shown to have a real knowledge of what defenses are doing
As an OC I think any of them could probably be good
But my point was more about HC than OC
It’s a totally different skill set
I think it’s one you don’t know till they do it some

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Romo has shown to have a real knowledge of what defenses are doing
As an OC I think any of them could probably be good
But my point was more about HC than OC
It’s a totally different skill set
I think it’s one you don’t know till they do it some
I agree, being a head coach is more higher level management, like a president or CEO, they don't necessarily have to do the front line work and worry about details as much as the front line workers, thus having a good coaching staff is always key and them understanding what you try to accomplish and as a coach, you making sure its getting executed correctly, setting the tone, strategy, etc.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger pushed Romo out the door, you think he'd come back to coach for him? And Aikman didn't like it at all when Booger out and out lied about cutting him. Both are too smart to work for a football moron.

cern

Reaction score
tony was never a leader of this team. he would be less so as a head coach. troy was great qb, but nothing on his resume suggests he'd be a good head coach.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bart Starr was a HOF QB but look what he was as Packers Coach. He was probably the Packers version of Garrett. Couldn't get rid of him because he was Packers royalty. We don't need to waste another 10 years. Get a proven coach.
The Starr analogy is applicable to Aikman. One key difference between Aikman and Starr is the latter thought he was Vince Lombardi-lite and accepted the Packers head coaching job after a huge fan campaign helped convinced the front office. On the other hand, Aikman has been rarely vocal about coaching at all. Starr's story is even less connectable to Romo than with Aikman.

The smart thing for Jones & Company to do is an exhaustive coaching search. Hopefully, a large pool of candidates can be put together, where a combination of bona fide qualifications and a realistic workable relationship between the 'right' candidate and Jones can be matched.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger pushed Romo out the door, you think he'd come back to coach for him? And Aikman didn't like it at all when Booger out and out lied about cutting him. Both are too smart to work for a football moron.
Bold> Some people think it is possible given the number of threads and posts that continue to pop up supporting the idea.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What if the big game Jerry is after is one of his 2 former QBs that are in the Booth? He will have to pay big money to get them out of the booth. Which one would you like?
It would not matter to me, I like the fiery Aikman and Romo will be creative and I believe he is more of a football junkie than Aikman
Troy Aikman has an issue with Jerry Jones, and Tony Romo couldn't handle the locker room. Complete stop with these quarterback head coaching jobs. They don't have the credentials.

Asklesko

Reaction score
bet.jpg

Yeah, hoping Jerry will give up comfort coaches is like hoping he'll give up Southern Comfort

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the first attribute any HC must have with his staff and players? Credibility. That's why Parcells could turn a 5 win team into a 10 win team in one season. Put an ex QB in as the HC with 0 coaching experience and that's a recipe for disaster. And btw, some players still don't like QB's.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Well, I doubt either would leave their current jobs to go into coaching.
So, with that said I personally would want Troy as the head coach because he was a born leader. The buck stops with him.
Seeing how this is my opinion on both of our former QBs, I would also like Romo to be our offensive coordinator. His football smarts would be great in that capacity.
for our defensive coordinator, keeping with the Cowboys former players would be Dennis Thurman.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Stop it. Those two are both washed-up has-beens as far as quarterbacking is concerned. They are shells of their former selves even if their minds are still football savvy. They are no longer the great football player you remember them being. The same goes for Dez Bryants, his fans need to stop being ridiculous when they call out for his return to the roster.

Vandyr

Reaction score
I doubt either wants the job, but neither has any coaching experience. Aikman has a fiery sideline demeanor and Romo is a brilliant Xs and Os mind.

So get them both :) Aikman as HC and Romo as OC :thumbup:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Romo ain't going back to that mess.
He's a happy positive guy but deep down he knows his career could have been so much better with a competent GM/Owner.
He has the perfect life now, time to raise his 3 boys and be with his lovely wife, play golf, and announce games to almost universal acclaim.
Happy for him and his family

CB61

Reaction score
Well Tony Romo is usually spot-on when he calls with the defense or what the offense is going to do so on and so forth? With all the energy he has it might be just what we need but I don't think he'll do it? Aikman? He's too busy smoking weed

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think Aikman is most interested in a front office job with his eye on GM. In terms of head coach, don't know if he would make a good one. He's gotten grumpier and don't know how he would manage the players.

Romo has a great understanding of the game and could be a rockstar offensive coordinator. As a head coach could he hold the team accountable? Not sure.
Aikman as GM, Romo as HC/OC that would be fun.
Romo is set in his job, anyone know how much he makes per year?
I mean no limit on how much they pay a coach, but jones boys are a little cheap, so dont think they want to pay
even gruden money, but if they offered Romo 20 mil a year , lol he might consider it.
throw in a bonus of another 20 mil for each SB win!!