CFZ What if the core of this team just isn't that great?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the hard parts of losing in the manner the Cowboys did Sunday is the very real possibility that what was considered the strong core of this team is probably incapable (as currently constituted) to compete seriously for a championship. And the evidence is clear- they can’t win big playoff games against the best teams in the league. That’s not an opinion. That’s based on this team’s playoff record WITH this core.

What is the core of this team? It‘s the guys this FO believes are the best players we have. The guys we would never trade or cut because of their value to the team. Here is that core:
  • Dak Prescott (8 yr vet- 2-5 playoff record)
  • Micah Parsons (3 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Cedee Lamb (4 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Zack Martin (11 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • Tyron Smith (14 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • DeMarcus Law (11 yr vet- 3-6 in the playoffs)
  • Tyler Smith (2 yr vet- 1-2 in the playoffs)
  • Trevon Diggs (5 yr vet)
So having all these talented players on this roster, some of which are very highly paid or are about to get bigger paydays, has amounted to 3 total playoff wins over the last 14 seasons? That’s it? These “must have” guys are so valuable as a core, we have won 3 wild card playoff games with them? With two different HCs and multiple different coordinators in some cases.

Many fans here won’t like this…but there’s a very good chance that the core of this roster- the centerpiece of talent for this team - is vastly overrated. OR…we have a front office that is incapable of finding a coaching staff that can motivate and shape this core into playoff winners. It actually could be both.

This organization will NOT look in the mirror and ask the tough question: What if the core of our team isn’t that great?

75boyz

Reaction score
With all due respect Bob,
My core begins at head coach and quarterback.

I personally can't get past those 2 position holders failure in the performance of their specific duties.

Just my opinion.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all due respect Bob,
My core begins at head coach and quarterback.

I personally can't get past those 2 position holders failure in the performance of their specific duties.

Just my opinion.
Don’t disagree. But do you think this FO is asking the question, “Maybe we aren’t that good?”

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Literally the toronto maple leafs situation with 4 players on their team taking half the cap and underperforming in the playoffs and preventing better players to fill their roster.
Known as playoff chokers despite being regular season heros, cupcake coach and terrible management.

Will say this though, this defense plummeted without Diggs, when Gilmore whos a tad bit past his prime is your best cover corner and the other best is a guy who gets burnt in trade off for picks, no surprise.

aikemirv

Reaction score
One of the hard parts of losing in the manner the Cowboys did Sunday is the very real possibility that what was considered the strong core of this team is probably incapable (as currently constituted) to compete seriously for a championship. And the evidence is clear- they can’t win big playoff games against the best teams in the league. That’s not an opinion. That’s based on this team’s playoff record WITH this core.

What is the core of this team? It‘s the guys this FO believes are the best players we have. The guys we would never trade or cut because of their value to the team. Here is that core:
So having all these talented players on this roster, some of which are very highly paid or are about to get bigger paydays, has amounted to 3 total playoff wins over the last 14 seasons? That’s it? These “must have” guys are so valuable as a core, we have won 3 wild card playoff games with them? With two different HCs and multiple different coordinators in some cases.

Many fans here won’t like this…but there’s a very good chance that the core of this roster- the centerpiece of talent for this team - is vastly overrated. OR…we have a front office that is incapable of finding a coaching staff that can motivate and shape this core into playoff winners. It actually could be both.

This organization will NOT look in the mirror and ask the tough question: What if the core of our team isn’t that great?
If that is the case then you sure cant spend 50 mill per year on Dak!

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
9 All-Pro players, many of them on the offensive and defensive line. The pundits and football experts believe the core is pretty damn good, which means JJ has done his job as a GM. :huh: ...even though this team ended the season with no LBs, no viable FS and a void at DT.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

@Bobhaze , I always enjoyed reading your layed back posts. You share your opinion without any hyperbole or exaggerations, which is a rare treat.

But I have to say: WE TOLD YOU EVER SINCE 2022!

LoL, sorry, I had to get that out. ;)

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Well yes and no. I think we got talent for sure. I bet any team would love to have a few of our guys right away without thinking twice. The question is what causes us to not do well against big teams and big situations? Are we putting all our talent in the best place possible to do their jobs? Let's start with our recent game. What did we do?

We gave up scores to GB on 6 of their first 7 drives. We gave up 2 TOs (by Dak) in the first half. We got no pass rush and could not stop the run. We also could not run the ball and our schemes looked pretty stiff.

What part of that performance looked like we prepared for anything? We didn't even look like we knew we were in a game.

Our structure is our problem because since 98 we have had plenty of talent but never have closed the deal in any phase of the game.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Evidently they aren't. Just overvalued by the FO and the fans of each particular player. Football is a TEAM game, you need a core of great stars and flanked by some good, smart, tough players who can complement these stars. This is why right now Dallas should not be signing any big contracts that will strap the team from compiling a solid football team, ain't ready for the Big Show. They already are handcuffed with Dak, Diggs, Martin, and now in danger of adding Parsons, Lamb and another Dak extension... The insanity of it all. Get rid of Pollard, Tyron, Gilmore while you can, and yes even Parsons on a trade. Bite the bullet on Dak due to your stupidity and get rid of him ASAP. Amazing that after winning the NFCE, they need a rebuilding. But life is like a box of chocolates....you never know which one has the turd in it.

Team needs a overhaul which includes the HC/OC, and DC... so they aren't one or two players away at all. I know, I know....what about the goofball owner/GM? nothing you can do about that sad case.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll shift a bit here.

I don't think the "core" is overhyped. Well maybe Dak, since he's part of the core.

But there is little doubt in my mind if that they tweaked the edges of the roster better (LB, DT) and you had a real HC (and QB), the "core" would be just fine. But, IMO, we've reached the end of this road so it's time to take it apart and start over. That means maybe moving some of the core. I'd be open to see what Parsons is worth. Hate to give him up but he's basically useless on a team that shuold be in a rebuild. Do everything to convince Dak to accept a trade. Lamb? I'd see what his value is but if you were turning it over to Lance, I think you need to keep Lamb and Ferguson to help Lance. I'd consider trading Martin. Again, you'd love to have him helping run the line in front of Lance but he's only got a couple years left, so see what he can get you.

Carter

Reaction score
The clause basically says he has to approve a trade. It doesn’t mean they couldn’t trade him. If I was in Dak’s shoes I would approve a trade to the right team.
Why would he leave the most media coveted sports team in America with no accountability ?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
9 All-Pro players, many of them on the offensive and defensive line. The pundits and football experts believe the core is pretty damn good, which means JJ has done his job as a GM. :huh: ...even though this team ended the season with no LBs, no viable FS and a void at DT.
I understand that. But All Pro or Pro Bowl honors are based on the regular season not the playoffs. Isn’t it possible all those guys just don’t play as well when the competition stiffens? Also there are many players who play their best in the biggest games. That’s where so many of our players seem to shrink.

75boyz

Reaction score
Don’t disagree. But do you think this FO is asking the question, “Maybe we aren’t that good?”
Nope, and I follow the mindset of your OP regarding all these player deficiencies that the FO most likely may not acknowledge.

I have a bad habit of always mis directing posts with my own personal thoughts on the GM, HC and QB's impact on this team's failure. Didnt mean to highjack you. My bad man.

foofighters

Reaction score

We are the paper champions.