CFZ What if the core of this team just isn't that great?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not even a question. We know the core of this team isn’t great. They are soft and poorly lead. The question is whether they can improve under new leadership. If we bring in Belechek, can he win with this collection of players? I don’t know. I do have serious doubts about Dak and the wisdom of extending his contract. I’ve been very vocal on here in my belief that Dak isn’t the guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is not even a question. We know the core of this team isn’t great. They are soft and poorly lead. The question is whether they can improve under new leadership. If we bring in Belechek, can he win with this collection of players? I don’t know. I do have serious doubts about Dak and the wisdom of extending his contract. I’ve been very vocal on here in my belief that Dak isn’t the guy.
Belly would immediately bring in some big ol' DT's who would squush the run, and some actual LB's.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly. When you have elite players CD and Micah they are supposed to make others around them better. Their jobs are supposed to be easier, especially when CD is being doubled and Micah is being tripled teamed.
Absolutely. However, one of the ways in which they make others better is due to those double and triple teams. No one is good enough to take advantage of that.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
We lost because we physically suck at those 3 positions.
Pretty much sucked at every position-kicker included- vs GB.... These same 3 weaknesses got us a 12-5 regular season record. Team just didn't show up which is far worse then those 3 weaknesses.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Belly would immediately bring in some big ol' DT's who would squush the run, and some actual LB's.
Agree. I have no doubt Belechek will build this defense into a fearsome unit with big bodies in the middle …… which you and I have been begging the team to do forever.

But the cost of that makeover will be the offensive skill players just like he did to Brady. But Dak is the polar opposite of clutch and doesn’t make the plays when the game is still being contested. He doesn’t make the players around him better, and we can’t pay him what he thinks he’s worth and build anything.

Tough choices ahead. Pretty sure Jerry will go with the path of least resistance.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pretty much sucked at every position-kicker included- vs GB.... These same 3 weaknesses got us a 12-5 regular season record. Team just didn't show up which is far worse then those 3 weaknesses.
I disagree again.

Those 3 parts are the specific reason we lost to ARI, BUFF, and SF. It's not about showing up, it's about weaknesses being exploited. It's so simple, we have no LB's, not FS's, and a tweener starting at the 3 tech. When we play crapp teams, they're not good enough to exploit those weaknesses.

kskboys

Reaction score
Agree. I have no doubt Belechek will build this defense into a fearsome unit with big bodies in the middle …… which you and I have been begging the team to do forever.

But the cost of that makeover will be the offensive skill players just like he did to Brady. But Dak is the polar opposite of clutch and doesn’t make the plays when the game is still being contested. He doesn’t make the players around him better, and we can’t pay him what he thinks he’s worth and build anything.

Tough choices ahead. Pretty sure Jerry will go with the path of least resistance.
Brady would make the right decision w/ Dak. That's my only solace.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Except at DT, MLB, and S.
The most important positions to be physical at on Defense. We are not physical right up the middle of our defense on all 3 levels.

Our Defense just like our Offense has no balance.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
The most important positions to be physical at on Defense. We are not physical right up the middle of our defense on all 3 levels.

Our Defense just like our Offense has no balance.
Dallas version of physical is playing chess:facepalm:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Pretty much sucked at every position-kicker included- vs GB.... These same 3 weaknesses got us a 12-5 regular season record. Team just didn't show up which is far worse than those 3 weaknesses.
1/3 of the league sucks. 1/3 of the league is average. 1/3 makes the playoffs. We are a bottom 1/3 playoff team.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
1/3 of the league sucks. 1/3 of the league is average. 1/3 makes the playoffs. We are a bottom 1/3 playoff team.
you are what your record say. Going into the playoffs we were at the top at 12-5. 49ers were the only team with a better record in the NFC. Numbers don't lie....Dallas is the only top seed gone....

kskboys

Reaction score
you are what your record say. Going into the playoffs we were at the top at 12-5. 49ers were the only team with a better record in the NFC. Numbers don't lie....Dallas is the only top seed gone....
Absolutely. So, now it's time to evaluate exactly what makes us lose in the playoffs. We are a terrible playoff team. Numbers don't lie!!!!!

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Absolutely. So, now it's time to evaluate exactly what makes us lose in the playoffs. We are a terrible playoff team. Numbers don't lie!!!!!
Let's do process of elimination... can't be the quarterbacks. We've had 2 different versions. same results. Can't be the coaching. Happens no matter who coaches. Maybe as my fellow Cowboy fan would say " maybe it's who we hire"...to lead us into the playoffs. Trend here??? The bread crumbs always leads back to Jerry.