What if there's no announcement Thursday or even Friday?

trickamsterdam

Reaction score
The fact will hear something Thursday is actually media/fan-driven. Jerry/Fo hasn't promised anything. But I do think this would further push the candidate in the playoff theory. My point is don't be surprised there's no news tomorrow or even Friday.

But they can interview coaches on teams with byes, which are most of the coaches you want to interview (e.g., OC of Baltimore).

You also should let Garrett try to find other work too. They've had a long time to think about this, too, and should of had a general idea of what would happen if certain goals weren't met by Garrett.

I think all this does point to them seriously considering an extension.

bysbox1

Reaction score
We all have our theories and expectations of what may happen and here’s mine. I think if no announcement is made by Friday I think Jerry is slow playing this situation as he’s waiting to see if his guy becomes available. And by his guy I mean Mike Zimmer.

We all know Jerry gets attached to coaches and players and I think Zimmer is one of those guys. We also know that Jerry loves familiarity. And another familiar name is Norv Turner. Norv is without a job now with the coaching change in Carolina. My gut is telling me Jerry isn’t in a hurry and has even said he doesn’t care if all the names being mentioned get hired and it’s because Meyer, Rhule and others aren’t his priority. He wants Zimmer leading the team and fixing the defense and Norv grooming Dak and running the offense. Ole Jerruh wants to get the band back together so to speak.

I think it all boils down to Jerry isn’t getting any younger and he’s feeling the pressure from Father Time. He doesn’t have the time to bring in a college guy and let him learn the league. He doesn’t have time to bring in a young hot shot assistant and let him learn how to be a head coach. He does know Zimmer is a demanding, task master type coach that is highly capable of fixing the defense. He knows Norv can help Dak develop more consistentcy to his game and get the most out of him and the running game. He knows what these coaches are capable of and he’s worked with them before and they Jerry. So in the end I think Jerry stays within his comfort zone and hires his guys. Not saying I’m in favor of this should it happen but I can see this happening.

This is well thought out (I didn’t even think of this) and this does make sense. Also consider this:
  • Zimmer is one of a few HC candidates that would probably be okay with Garrettt lurking around the front office. He appears to me to be someone who would not care as long as Garrett stays out of his way.
  • Zimmer would probaby be okay with Kellen Moore sticking around (albiet in a lower capacity if Norv Turner is brought back to the party).
  • Zimmer and Norv both know the Jerry system and can probably handle it.
TBFH, I don’t expect anything to happen until the 14th anyway, but if it happens sooner, that may be if the Vikes get eliminated this weekend and Minnesota decides to move on from Zimmer.

bysbox1

Reaction score
But they can interview coaches on teams with byes, which are most of the coaches you want to interview (e.g., OC of Baltimore).

You also should let Garrett try to find other work too. They've had a long time to think about this, too, and should of had a general idea of what would happen if certain goals weren't met by Garrett.

I think all this does point to them seriously considering an extension.

You guys keep leaving out the emotional element here. I know from a business standpoint I would have dumped Garrett a long time ago, but Jerry treats his staff like family. Someone used the term Family run Italian restaurant and I think that’s an accurate assessment.

Garrett’s dad worked in the front office. Garrett’s brothers work in the fornt office. There has been someone on Garrett’s family on the staff even before he was made HC. Add to that Garrett’s been coaching here for 12 years. Add to that he was Jerry’s pet project. What you have here is Jerry is emotionally attatched and is handling this delicately with kid gloves.

That emotional attachment works both ways. If Jerry was going to give Garrett an extension he would have gloated about it like he did before Garrett’s last extension. He hasn’t done that this time. Jerry is clearly disapointed about situation. He’s disappointed this team failed the way it did, and he’s disapointed he has to make a decision about someone whom he views as a son and part of the family.

For me personally it’s not good business to have this attachment in business. But we are talking Jerry Jones here.

gmb1

Reaction score
What if there's no announcement Thursday or even Friday?

Then us Cowboy fans will continue to do what we've done for the past 20 years...which is wait.

Last edited:

garyv

Reaction score
The fact will hear something Thursday is actually media/fan-driven. Jerry/Fo hasn't promised anything. But I do think this would further push the candidate in the playoff theory. My point is don't be surprised there's no news tomorrow or even Friday.

I'm starting to think Garrett is returning with a whole new staff !!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
we go about our real lives and wait until an actual announcement vs a rumor is made..

this isnt our general livelihood, its entrainment and this has been entertaining good or bad lol

trickamsterdam

Reaction score
You guys keep leaving out the emotional element here. I know from a business standpoint I would have dumped Garrett a long time ago, but Jerry treats his staff like family. Someone used the term Family run Italian restaurant and I think that’s an accurate assessment.

Garrett’s dad worked in the front office. Garrett’s brothers work in the fornt office. There has been someone on Garrett’s family on the staff even before he was made HC. Add to that Garrett’s been coaching here for 12 years. Add to that he was Jerry’s pet project. What you have here is Jerry is emotionally attatched and is handling this delicately with kid gloves.

That emotional attachment works both ways. If Jerry was going to give Garrett an extension he would have gloated about it like he did before Garrett’s last extension. He hasn’t done that this time. Jerry is clearly disapointed about situation. He’s disappointed this team failed the way it did, and he’s disapointed he has to make a decision about someone whom he views as a son and part of the family.

For me personally it’s not good business to have this attachment in business. But we are talking Jerry Jones here.

And like a lot of soft parents, the softness ends up hurting the "child."

If you are going to keep Garrett, fine. I'm sure Garrett would like another chance.

But if you're not going to keep him, just cut the cord. Garrett could be interviewing w other teams, including college teams.

Holding this up if he's eventually let go really hurts Garrett. It prevents him from looking for work and makes him a laughingstock.

And Garrett doesn't really deserve that. He's been a bad coach, not a bad cowboy or a bad person.

I think this treatment of him makes it harder to hire an elite coach w options, because it's one more indication this is a clown show, and they won't like the humiliation of a member of the coaching fraternity.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Im not expecting anything til after the 14th.

IF there is some type of deal in place with the new guy....and nothing leaks between now and the 14th...then it has been kept very hush-hush.

Especially if the new guy is an assistant coach on a playoff team.

cern

Reaction score
as michaelangelo told the pope while asked when the ceiling paint job would be done, "it will be done when it is done".

bysbox1

Reaction score
And like a lot of soft parents, the softness ends up hurting the "child."

If you are going to keep Garrett, fine. I'm sure Garrett would like another chance.

But if you're not going to keep him, just cut the cord. Garrett could be interviewing w other teams, including college teams.

Holding this up if he's eventually let go really hurts Garrett. It prevents him from looking for work and makes him a laughingstock.

And Garrett doesn't really deserve that. He's been a bad coach, not a bad cowboy or a bad person.

I think this treatment of him makes it harder to hire an elite coach w options, because it's one more indication this is a clown show, and they won't like the humiliation of a member of the coaching fraternity.

This emotional attachment works both ways too. Jerry could be telling Garrett we have a lot to talk about (i.e. I need to let you go), and Garrett could be feeling over obligated to completing his end of the year tasks. So Garrett tell Jerry let me finish end of season interviews and assessments and follow through with my process before we talk. Jerry’s emotion and ego is allowing him to finish.

It’s a codependent mess. I don’t like how it’s going, but I really don’t think he stays. Jerry is well aware he needs to make a change, and as I said in a previous post the gap in the NFCE will close quickly with Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio at Washington and I have a feeling the Giants will roll out a solid coach as well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Coaches with teams that have a bye would want to interview now.

Coaches in the wildcard round might want to wait until next week.

College coaches like Rhule would want to wait until today at the earliest considering his last game was yesterday.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe they need some more alone time......

At Jerry's place......

Doing ............ well, none of your business.

Charlotte is "laying across the doorway" to prevent Jerry from getting to Garrett to "fire" him...

For those that don't know Charlotte and Garrett look like star crossed lovers every year in the draft room...