What if...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
RoundRock Fan said:
Haloti Ngata begins to slide? Move up/Stay pat/Trade down?
If he moves within 3 spots, I'm moving forward.

dmoore

Reaction score
If he drops past the Ravens, I'd say there would be a good shot he'd fall to us. I don't think that happens though, I can't see him getting past Baltimore or Buffalo. I guess there's always a chance though. He'd make a nice addition to our D.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
dmoore said:
If he drops past the Ravens, I'd say there would be a good shot he'd fall to us. I don't think that happens though, I can't see him getting past Baltimore or Buffalo. I guess there's always a chance though. He'd make a nice addition to our D.
The only problem is, you don't have to be a 3-4 team to want Ngata. He can play in any scheme, so he is a danger to go at any point in the 1st round (outside of the 1st 5 to 6 picks)

dmoore

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
The only problem is, you don't have to be a 3-4 team to want Ngata. He can play in any scheme, so he is a danger to go at any point in the 1st round (outside of the 1st 5 to 6 picks)
That is true, but looking at the teams between us and Baltimore, I don't think a DT is on top of their list. If anything, I could see a team moving into those slots to get him. Anyways, I can't wait for this draft to start. I've been looking forward to this weekend for months. It's gonna be interesting to see how things play out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If he doesn't get taken by Buffalo, I think there's a real good chance that he slides to us. If that happens, then I'd be for taking him at 18. The interesting thing here is that I honestly believe that either he or Bunkley could be there. If one of those DTs is available at 18, what do we do? I say we take one or the other and be happy about getting a quality player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is really an interesting scenario IMO. Bunkley and Ngata are both there at the Bills pick, eight overall, which way do they go? Barring trades, they may not go DT here. They could go QB with whichever one is left, they could go OLB which they need badley, they could go with a guy like Huff to replace Troy Vincent who is about 100 years old now or they could go TE if SF doesn't take Davis, which is a real possability IMO. I don't think DT is a certainty at this spot.

Who's the next team that might take a DT? Could be Arizona with a 3 technique, which Bunkley would fit nicely but they have a lot of needs. I don't know that this is there biggest.

It's probably Cleveland. Who would Cleveland take, if they were going to take one of these players? I think that again, it would be Bunkley because I don't really think they need a NT so much as they need a DE. Bunkley could easily be that in a 34 IMO. However, they may like OLB better. If indeed this is what they value, we could see both NTs slide.

I think Baltimore would snatch Bunkley up in this situation but it could be Ngata.

I don't think Philly would take a DT. I don't think Miami would take one. I don't think the Vikes would take one. Denver might take one but there needs are at LB, Tackle, WR and RCB as well. I don't know that DT would be there first choice here. That would leave Ngata available at our pick 18 is the draft were to fall that way.

If he is there, would we take him? I think we would probably have to. There might be trade down options here with a team like Cincy who could probably use a big DT to replace Adams or maybe NYG one pick down. A big tackle like Ngata would really solidify there DL but then I look at there OLBs and secondary and I just think what we would want might not make it cost effective for them. The Jets could use a player like Ngate and they would have the picks to move around with IMO. Could be interesting if it fell this way.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The fins play the 3-4 now, who is their NG?

Just wondering.

jbsg02

Reaction score
If Bunkley is the first DT taken then I think there's a chance Ngata falls

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
If Bunkley is the first DT taken then I think there's a chance Ngata falls

Ngata very well could fall, but I doubt Bunkley has anything to do with it.

Both Cleveland and Baltimore need a DT. If he gets by them, then we have to worry about Miami.

If he gets passed all three of them you have to wonder what they know about him to pass on him. They can ask him when he shows up for his press conference being introduced as the newest dallas cowboy. :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
The fins play the 3-4 now, who is their NG?

Just wondering.

Keith Traylor

Manny Wright
6-6 329 lbs
2nd year USC.
Supplemental draft.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Keith Traylor

Manny Wright
6-6 329 lbs
2nd year USC.
Supplemental draft.

Ahh, Wright is the guy that cried, right?

Traylor is old and backed up by a baby. Yeah, they'd draft Ngata if they had the chance.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Ngata very well could fall, but I doubt Bunkley has anything to do with it.

Both Cleveland and Baltimore need a DT. If he gets by them, then we have to worry about Miami.

If he gets passed all three of them you have to wonder what they know about him to pass on him. They can ask him when he shows up for his press conference being introduced as the newest dallas cowboy. :D

I don't know about that Rack. Cleveland has Jason Fisk and Ted Washington. I absolutly think they could use a DT but do they need a DT as bad as they need a RDE? Right now, they don't have a guy on there roster who can play the position. Look at there LBs as well. They have Matt Stewart, Andrea Davis, Ben Taylor and McGinest as starters. Behind them, there is nothing. Even there RCB spot is in terrible shape. Safety could use real help. They got a lot of holes defensively. Trade down could be the deal here or any number of positions. It could all come down to who is rated highest on there board. It may not be a DT.

Baltimore, they do need a DT but they also need a RB and MLB and maybe a QB if one is there.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't know about that Rack. Cleveland has Jason Fisk and Ted Washington. I absolutly think they could use a DT but do they need a DT as bad as they need a RDE? Right now, they don't have a guy on there roster who can play the position. Look at there LBs as well. They have Matt Stewart, Andrea Davis, Ben Taylor and McGinest as starters. Behind them, there is nothing. Even there RCB spot is in terrible shape. Safety could use real help. They got a lot of holes defensively. Trade down could be the deal here or any number of positions. It could all come down to who is rated highest on there board. It may not be a DT.

Baltimore, they do need a DT but they also need a RB and MLB and maybe a QB if one is there.

My best friend is a Browns fan. Fisk was absolute garbage for them last year. Washington is 75 years old.

If Ngata makes it to them, they'll likely draft him. And about their LBs, Chaun Thompson is one of their starters.

And yes, Baltimore does need a DT. All they've got is ... forgot that fat white guy's name. But they don't have anyone else. They don't play the 3-4 anymore so they need to quality starters, not just one.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Ahh, Wright is the guy that cried, right?

Traylor is old and backed up by a baby. Yeah, they'd draft Ngata if they had the chance.

Perhaps but two things here. Miami may be going to a 34 but I don't know that they will be able to do that this year. They have Zach Thomas at MLB and nobody else that can play the other IBL position, assuming Thomas can play it, which I doubt. They still have Vonnie Holliday under contract which would be a cap hit because he's not going to be able to play NT in a 34. He might be able to play DE in a 34 but I don't know. You look at this teams CBs and all you got is cricket chirps. They got nobody and at there draft spot, that might just be the pick. I don't think you can say that NT is there for sure pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
My best friend is a Browns fan. Fisk was absolute garbage for them last year. Washington is 75 years old.

If Ngata makes it to them, they'll likely draft him. And about their LBs, Chaun Thompson is one of their starters.

And yes, Baltimore does need a DT. All they've got is ... forgot that fat white guy's name. But they don't have anyone else. They don't play the 3-4 anymore so they need to quality starters, not just one.

This team has a lot of holes. NT would not be a bad pick but there far from being able to say that NT is there pick for sure. As I said earlier, it depends on who is rated where on there board.

Kelly Gregg and Jim Bannon are the DTs in Baltimore. While you look at it and say they need a DT, they actually got pretty damn good production out of these two. Gregg got 61 tackles to go with 2.5 sacks last year. He's missed two games in 4 years. Bannon is a 5th year guy they got from Buffalo. He had 40 tackles last year with 1.5 sacks. I honestly don't think this is there most critical need position. They can easily pick a guy up later to fill out the rotation. They have bigger needs, IMO along the OL and at RB then they do at DT.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Perhaps but two things here. Miami may be going to a 34 but I don't know that they will be able to do that this year. They have Zach Thomas at MLB and nobody else that can play the other IBL position, assuming Thomas can play it, which I doubt. They still have Vonnie Holliday under contract which would be a cap hit because he's not going to be able to play NT in a 34. He might be able to play DE in a 34 but I don't know. You look at this teams CBs and all you got is cricket chirps. They got nobody and at there draft spot, that might just be the pick. I don't think you can say that NT is there for sure pick.

They went to a 3-4 last season. :D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
This team has a lot of holes. NT would not be a bad pick but there far from being able to say that NT is there pick for sure. As I said earlier, it depends on who is rated where on there board.

Kelly Gregg and Jim Bannon are the DTs in Baltimore. While you look at it and say they need a DT, they actually got pretty damn good production out of these two. Gregg got 61 tackles to go with 2.5 sacks last year. He's missed two games in 4 years. Bannon is a 5th year guy they got from Buffalo. He had 40 tackles last year with 1.5 sacks. I honestly don't think this is there most critical need position. They can easily pick a guy up later to fill out the rotation. They have bigger needs, IMO along the OL and at RB then they do at DT.

They are in a position to take the BPA since they don't have great players at many positions. If Ngata were there, he would likely be the BPA. Plus, it would be filling a vital role in the 3-4 defense. He could even play DE and NG till Washington finally retires.

And the Browns have Reuben Droughns. They just gave him a new contract. They won't be drafting a RB in the first. He was their first 1000 yard rusher since 1985. Their OL has been worked on quite a bit the last two seasons. And they picked up Bentley this year. Aside from Justice, there won't be an OL available that is anywhere near worth that pick.

Also, it's not just 3-4 teams we have to worry about. Ngata could play in the 4-3 as well.