"What ifs" for Kiffin

NateSuri

Reaction score
Just some thoughts on the topic of Monte Kiffin and the Cowboys defense:

-- What if every projected starter on defense actually played 16 games? Would the Cowboys D be good enough to stop the likes of Brees, Phillips... Mccown?

-- What if the turnovers are just a fluke under Kiffin? Most of our turnovers are cause by the secondary. Is Jerome Henderson the answer? Or is Marinelli rubbing off on the entire defense?

-- What if Monte Kiffin doesn't want to retire at the end of the season? Does Jones fire him? What if we make the playoffs? Do we still keep a coach around who is responsible for possibly the worst defense in recent memory?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I don't understand this injury stuff. We didn't have anybody to begin with. Ratliff was done, whether or not he played for Dallas. We don't know what Spencer would have given us if healthy. Ware has been healthy all season, but he's done. Sean Lee only missed a few games and we've been worse with him. A few players in the secondary got hurt a few teams but nothing serious. I think there's this myth that our defense has been depleted by injuries. We didn't have anybody to begin with. That's our GM's fault for not acquiring talented players.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Just some thoughts on the topic of Monte Kiffin and the Cowboys defense:

-- What if every projected starter on defense actually played 16 games? Would the Cowboys D be good enough to stop the likes of Brees, Phillips... Mccown?

-- What if the turnovers are just a fluke under Kiffin? Most of our turnovers are cause by the secondary. Is Jerome Henderson the answer? Or is Marinelli rubbing off on the entire defense?

-- What if Monte Kiffin doesn't want to retire at the end of the season? Does Jones fire him? What if we make the playoffs? Do we still keep a coach around who is responsible for possibly the worst defense in recent memory?
He has to be fired. I understand the injuries but I still think we should be able to stop teams at least one time. We're setting records here. And not in a good way. Schematically, I don't think Tampa 2 works. We need a defense that works for our personnel. And we need to draft players that work for whoever the DC wants to do.

Man this really is a bummer. To me, this ship is going to take years to fix. Years until we have a shot to be legit contenders. That means with a new qb. New Offense. And I wouldn't wish death on anybody bc there's no coming back from that but Jerry, give it up man.

Falcon554

Reaction score
If he is still here in the morning it will blow my mine :) The 1-15 boys had a better D ROFL

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I don't understand this injury stuff. We didn't have anybody to begin with. Ratliff was done, whether or not he played for Dallas. We don't know what Spencer would have given us if healthy. Ware has been healthy all season, but he's done. Sean Lee only missed a few games and we've been worse with him. A few players in the secondary got hurt a few teams but nothing serious. I think there's this myth that our defense has been depleted by injuries. We didn't have anybody to begin with. That's our GM's fault for not acquiring talented players.

1 Ratliff wasn't done, he was on the field tonight albeit for another team.
2 Spencer is a proven pass rusher and a pretty good run stopper (hence the franchise tag)
3 Ware has not been "healthy all year" been struggling with quad injury for most of the season. (he has missed more game this season than any other season since he been a pro.)
4 Then you factor in the role Coleman and Bass should be playing that pretty much makes it a fact not a myth that our defensive line has been depleted by injuries.

Hoov

Reaction score
Doesnt matter..................both Opie and Grandpa will be shown the door in 3 more weeks.
maybe, new coaches will come in, draft some defensive players start the season with a win and then Romo will lead us to another 8-8 season

yentl911

Reaction score
I miss Spencer big time. I think he was a bigger loss than most are willing to admit. He could bring pressure, was solid against the run and tough as nails.

rickster14

Reaction score
A small part of me wants to give Monte 1 more year. If the DL had not has so many injuries, this would have to be a better season. Kind of reminds me of the start of Landry's demise (1984). They still made the playoffs in '85, but '84 marked the start of the big decline. It seemed like almost every OL was injured that season and no breaks went our way.

I don't know if this thing can be fixed in '14. Is it worth it to take a risk on signing Hatcher? Can we depend on Bass & Crawford who are still unproven? DO we overpay for a FA DE or DT and fix the other in the draft?

I am convinced that fixing the DL and RG are the keys to next season. I do not, however, have faith in JJ & Jason to make the right decisions to find the right pieces.

TonyRomo17

Reaction score
I lost faith in him when he started heath over wilcox and webb over moore, also when hayden dropped into coverage TWICE.

Common Sense

Reaction score
This would still be a bad defense even if it did have these long-lost three or four players back for the year.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
1 Ratliff wasn't done, he was on the field tonight albeit for another team.
2 Spencer is a proven pass rusher and a pretty good run stopper (hence the franchise tag)
3 Ware has not been "healthy all year" been struggling with quad injury for most of the season. (he has missed more game this season than any other season since he been a pro.)
4 Then you factor in the role Coleman and Bass should be playing that pretty much makes it a fact not a myth that our defensive line has been depleted by injuries.

The fact that you don't think Rat and Ware are/were done and that you expected anything from Crawford and Bass is telling. I'll give you Spencer.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I think that injuries or not, this defense would struggle. I think the biggest loss to this defense is Anthony Spencer. As frustrated as people are about Ware, he is rushing to a spot. When no one else is getting near that spot, the QB simply has to take a step away and there is no rush. I don't think this team has the personnel right now to rush only 4 and get consistent pressure. In fact, it's the opposite. If I'm a QB and I see you are going to rush only four, I am going to take my time.

Now, I'm not sure what we could have done this offseason to improve this situation. There weren't a ton of stars available in FA to improve your front. Floyd COULD have been taken I suppose, but I'm not unhappy with Frederick or Williams, and Floyd hasn't done a ton to improve the team he is currently on.

I'm not displeased with our secondary. I think Scandrick and Carr do the best they can with their skillset and what's in front of them; they are both players who would look infinitely better if they were ever facing a QB who was at the very least harassed. Church has been a very bright spot. Not withstanding a missed tackle (and I think he was blocked out of it by another Cowboys), the guy is a very good tackler and is all over the field. It's disappointing to see a safety as much as we see him.

The real shock is how bad the lbers have been. Carter looks awful, Sims is lost, and Lee just plays harder than his body can handle.

Now; do I think Kiffin is responsible for the personnel? No; absolutely not. That said, when teams are passing at will against you and are happy to throw underneath your soft zone all day, then I think I prefer to live an die by the blitz. At least I have a fighting chance to cover up some mistakes. I'd go cover one and blitz nearly every play if that means that at least on occasion I get to the QB and get them uncomfortable. Kiffin just doesn't see this as a sound philosophy.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The fact that you don't think Rat and Ware are/were done and that you expected anything from Crawford and Bass is telling. I'll give you Spencer.
You wouldn't expect more from Crawford and Bass than say, Nevis and Wynn? Get real. This team is lightyears better without all the injuries. Upgrading every position on the Dline makes all of those players better. Ware and Spencer gets more sacks with a push in the middle, and you'd likely be able to stop the run with just 7 in the box, making it easier to hide deficiencies in the secondary.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
You wouldn't expect more from Crawford and Bass than say, Nevis and Wynn? Get real. This team is lightyears better without all the injuries. Upgrading every position on the Dline makes all of those players better. Ware and Spencer gets more sacks with a push in the middle, and you'd likely be able to stop the run with just 7 in the box, making it easier to hide deficiencies in the secondary.

I have no expectations on crawford, good or bad. He's just a project that hasn't seen the field. Maybe next year he does something. Bass looked alright but I don't think he was going to be a huge deal for us.

People hate on Spencer because of the contract, but he is LIGHT years better than anyone we have on the strong side. Selvie is nice depth, but he's not a full time player even now. He's a backup that looks good when you need him for a spell.

Common Sense

Reaction score

What has Ben Bass ever done that makes you think he is any better than Nevis or Wynn? This Bass worship is almost creepy.