"What ifs" for Kiffin

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What has Ben Bass ever done that makes you think he is any better than Nevis or Wynn? This Bass worship is almost creepy.
Nothing. The point is that those guys are terrible, and he has at least shown flashes. Plus, he was projected to be a depth guy. As a starter whose to say if he would be any more productive.

Gadfly22

Reaction score
This is a historically bad defense. Not "very" bad. Not "extremely" bad. Historically, in-the-record-books bad. Two 600+ yard performances bad. Forty 1st downs given up bad. Unable to force a punt in bad weather bad.

I can't recall ever seeing this level of consistent badness in the many bad teams I've watched play over the years (and decades). Something has to be fundamentally and seriously wrong somewhere to achieve the depths of badness that this defense is exploring.

I imagine Aaron Rodgers is rubbing his hands in anticipation of a 500-yd day on Sunday.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This is a historically bad defense. Not "very" bad. Not "extremely" bad. Historically, in-the-record-books bad. Two 600+ yard performances bad. Forty 1st downs given up bad. Unable to force a punt in bad weather bad.

I can't recall ever seeing this level of consistent badness in the many bad teams I've watched play over the years (and decades). Something has to be fundamentally and seriously wrong somewhere to achieve the depths of badness that this defense is exploring.

I imagine Aaron Rodgers is rubbing his hands in anticipation of a 500-yd day on Sunday.

I feel like we have broken records for bad defensive performance in some way over the last 6-7 years. Maybe longer, into the Parcells regime. I'm not sure.

Either way, we have had ONE competent defense that I can remember, in 2009. Even then it was just competent, not good.

movaughn88

Reaction score
I feel like we have broken records for bad defensive performance in some way over the last 6-7 years. Maybe longer, into the Parcells regime. I'm not sure.

Either way, we have had ONE competent defense that I can remember, in 2009. Even then it was just competent, not good.

I am in NO way making excuses for the garbage on the field, but I think defenses are just going to start getting worse. We won't hold the record for long. When you can't touch the QB in the slightest way, hit receivers after the catch, and secondaries are continually flagged for handsy play, it's only going to get worse. There's a reason Peyton is on track to break Brady's already absurd TD record.

Again, it's putrid to be this bad for sure on D, but it's going to be a continuing theme in the future that when a team lacks talent on the field, to be historically bad at stopping these offenses.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I am in NO way making excuses for the garbage on the field, but I think defenses are just going to start getting worse. We won't hold the record for long. When you can't touch the QB in the slightest way, hit receivers after the catch, and secondaries are continually flagged for handsy play, it's only going to get worse. There's a reason Peyton is on track to break Brady's already absurd TD record.

Again, it's putrid to be this bad for sure on D, but it's going to be a continuing theme in the future that when a team lacks talent on the field, to be historically bad at stopping these offenses.

I understand and agree with what you're saying. You expect offenses to score more points today. But you also expect to force some punts.