What in the world is going on with this front office?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am not one to overreact or make quick judgement, but what in the world is our front office trying to accomplish this offseason and why is MM and the rest of the coaching staff allowing it to happen?

-First, they either have to extend Dak or trade him before the draft. They cannot trade or franchise him after this season. Worst case scenario, he departs via fa next offseason and the team has nothing to show for it outside of shedding is contract.

-I understand their free agent philosophy, but how many starters have they already lost, without replacing any of them except Lve with Kendricks? Pollard, Biaz, Tyron, Armstrong, Hankins, Gilmore. That's 6 starters, with zero replacements. They already have less draft picks this year due to the Lance trade, where do they expect to replace these players?

-I have heard enough about them crying about needing to resign Lamb/Parsons. They have plenty of cap space and have the ability to create space as much as possible. Just look at the Eagles, they keep on spending even after Hurts was extended. Maybe stop resigning average players on your team like a Malik Hooker for example. Giving Zack Martin that extension at his age was insane.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Only 5 starters need to be replaced rn. Diggs return makes up for Gilmore.

Hankins is being replaced by Mazi most likely.

DA is being replaced by Sam Williams.

Offensive replacements are more questionable but I’m pretty sure Tyler moves to LT.

My speculation is that our 1st round pick starts at C or LG. I think our 2nd or 3rd pick will start at RB sharing time with Rico.

scottsp

Reaction score
e31e79b0-8e05-11ee-b135-fbde64ce2a09-bravo-eugenia-cropped.webp

Living their best lives. Who's going to do anything about it?

pansophy

Reaction score
It's pretty clear they believe their window closed last year. They keep saying they are going to extend Dak, but this is the first time I'm not sure if they mean it. I mean Jerry is too old for a complete rebuild -- it wouldn't shock me to see them sell the team after next year and they are just absorbing the worst of the Dak contract now so that the team is more sellable. Also wouldn't shock me to see them take another mid-round QB this draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Only 5 starters need to be replaced rn. Diggs return makes up for Gilmore.

Hankins is being replaced by Mazi most likely.

DA is being replaced by Sam Williams.

Offensive replacements are more questionable but I’m pretty sure Tyler moves to LT.

My speculation is that our 1st round pick starts at C or LG. I think our 2nd or 3rd pick will start at RB sharing time with Rico.
Yep. I think this is exactly what they are thinking. The holes they have they probably feel they can replace them with draft picks. That's gonna be their sell. And I don't care what rap they sell I believe they move Tyler to LT and draft a guard in the later rounds. This is what they've done for the past 10 years not sure why people think this is any different.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Sorry to break it to you my friend. But the FO is inept and on top of it, they don’t give a crap about winning. So if you are expecting them to show signs of competency, don’t hold your breath
I’m going to piggy back off of this and let you in on a little secret, they care more about the next booking at the stadium then they do worrying about roster building.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I am a bit surprised they haven't gotten a deal done with Lamb yet.

It feels like they are waiting until free agency is over before they restructure people that can free up CAP room.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
  1. We are moving on from older, oft injured, and players whose contracts don’t match their contributions.
  2. We are moving on with a youth movement; we have young guys on both lines who need to play and see if they can develop and get the job done. But we will add more youth at LB, RB, DL.
  3. We are continuing our philosophy of not being active in free agency at high prices, not even at positions of need. We are going to keep filling in many positions with drafted players, released players, and inexpensive prove-it players
We fans may not like any of it, but that’s clearly the nuts and bolts of what we are seeing.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I am not one to overreact or make quick judgement, but what in the world is our front office trying to accomplish this offseason and why is MM and the rest of the coaching staff allowing it to happen?

-First, they either have to extend Dak or trade him before the draft. They cannot trade or franchise him after this season. Worst case scenario, he departs via fa next offseason and the team has nothing to show for it outside of shedding is contract.

-I understand their free agent philosophy, but how many starters have they already lost, without replacing any of them except Lve with Kendricks? Pollard, Biaz, Tyron, Armstrong, Hankins, Gilmore. That's 6 starters, with zero replacements. They already have less draft picks this year due to the Lance trade, where do they expect to replace these players?

-I have heard enough about them crying about needing to resign Lamb/Parsons. They have plenty of cap space and have the ability to create space as much as possible. Just look at the Eagles, they keep on spending even after Hurts was extended. Maybe stop resigning average players on your team like a Malik Hooker for example. Giving Zack Martin that extension at his age was insane.
The front office is indeed clueless, but that doesn't mean they aren't playing the Dak situation exactly as they should. Do not extend him this year. There is no benefit. Sign him next year or move on, but they must start shedding some of his cap hit. They can sign all the free agents they want without touching Dak's contract

CWR

Reaction score
Sorry to break it to you my friend. But the FO is inept and on top of it, they don’t give a crap about winning. So if you are expecting them to show signs of competency, don’t hold your breath
Even the biggest skeptics can see this off season is different. We are hemorrhaging players and making no effort to replace anyone. It's odd.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I am a bit surprised they haven't gotten a deal done with Lamb yet.

It feels like they are waiting until free agency is over before they restructure people that can free up CAP room.
They don’t care about CAP room. They will sign the players that they think are worth it, but since they don’t believe in being active in free agency, negotiating new contracts on a timeline like creating cap space for free agency just weakens their position with players. Waiting until training camp or anytime after the draft has Lamb and Parsons seeing their rookie checks continuing for another year on the near horizon. Suddenly those new contracts, signing bonuses, and the possible franchise tags going by the wayside makes that new contract look pretty damn good.

From a front office point of view, negotiating a new deal based on a timeline or deadline for other things players may think you need is a bad position to be in. When the new season is getting closer, there are no deadlines that matter, and a real threat that the player may have to play on his current contract and possibly even be franchised a year after that, well, that’s not a great spot for a player to be in.

I think this stance that the Cowboys are in no hurry for any of these three big deals to be done, but that they want to get them done is going to help the Joneses. Again, if you don’t like free agency and aren’t going to play there no matter what your cap space is, then this is a smart approach.

I don’t agree with it regarding our defense, but it is what it is.