What is it about Dak now than before

LovinItAll

Reaction score
No doubt. Dak has been a good to very good qb at times. Now? He's freakin phenomenal. Off the charts almost. You can see it in his confidence on the field. Like a light bulb being switched on? Is this Mcarthy offense and playcalling perfect for Dak? It's got to be more than that. His mechanics is better. His accuracy is better. His poise. Hell, even his leadership has amped up from what was pretty good already. Is it he has just reached that peak in his career and it's just coming together easier for him? Whatever it is, I like it. What is it guys?
The Cowboys have been an excellent, top notch team for the past 3 years (11/30/20-12/1/23) with only one team in the NFL winning more games during that period than us (the Chiefs, by two games). The only missing ingredient is post-season success. I’ve posted this before:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-3-years#

The org has said they wanted Dak to get the ints from last year off of his mind. It was an outlier year, anyway. Confidence breeds success. That’s what you’re watching.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Let's wait to see how Prescott and Dallas does with these next four games.

Philadelphia
at Buffalo
at Miami
Detroit

The team needs to bring their "A" game every week.
Dak has basically been practicing up until these games.
I'm glad the schedule has allowed it.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
The offense is number 1 in yards and points scored after a poor start. Impressive.

plymkr

Reaction score
No doubt. Dak has been a good to very good qb at times. Now? He's freakin phenomenal. Off the charts almost. You can see it in his confidence on the field. Like a light bulb being switched on? Is this Mcarthy offense and playcalling perfect for Dak? It's got to be more than that. His mechanics is better. His accuracy is better. His poise. Hell, even his leadership has amped up from what was pretty good already. Is it he has just reached that peak in his career and it's just coming together easier for him? Whatever it is, I like it. What is it guys?
I think it’s a combination of him using his legs, offensive line getting healthy and gelling, emergence of Cooks and Ferguson, the offense understanding MM’s scheme. Everything is coming together to put him in the best chance to succeed. I think for Dak individually improving I feel he’s trusting his WRs more. I’m excited that he is getting better at reading zone defense. I think that is huge. So who knows why he’s playing. Personally I don’t care about the why I’m just happy he’s balling out. Let’s keep it rolling through the playoffs. Dak and the whole offense has improved and at the right time. I’m cautiously optimistic we as a team is peaking.

That game on Thursday is usually a game this team loses. It was a sign that things may be changing for the better for us going into the playoffs.

cej757

Reaction score
I really want to see them play the 49ers again because I thought Dak was getting into a groove against them as well when he hit Turpin for the td. Unfortunately the defense was awful in that game and I thought McCarthy got too conservative coming out of halftime.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He is more in sync with his receivers because of the offensive scheme and techniques that MM is teaching.

If you notice when he hits his back foot out of his drop he either pivots or bounces to a rhythm 1-3 times and them takes off or throws the ball away. As he has mentioned in his pressers, his feet are now in tune with his receiver's feet. It has helped his timing on throws immensely.

He is also just better and more accurate on his throws. He is throwing absolute dimes past, over, and between defenders all over the field. He used to be accurate on throws 20 yards in particularly in the middle of the field but he is throwing posts, seams, and flies better than we have seen to this point in his career.

Rodgers who has been in MM's offense says that his reads and checks are on point.

He has just elevated his game across the board. Consider this time last year it was a question of how many picks he was going to throw from game to game as he was leading the league in pick futility. Now that he leads the league in TD passes, it is a question of how many 6 pointers is he going to throw.

starfan1

Reaction score
He wants paid.

Can't be that simple....can it?
No
I think that Mike realizing the crap he was doing early in year wasn’t working so he let Dak be Dak
The Oline is playing better in pass blocking anyway
Stopped trying to force feed Gallup and more involvement from Cooks and fergy
And yes they aren’t playing San Fran so it makes difference

Daks ball placement this year over past years is perplexing though he has thrown some dimes .
Imagine his stats if his receivers held on to the ball with every throw

Last edited:

MistyAnn

Reaction score
Like a light bulb being switched on?
I think the lightbulb went on in the game against the 49ers, the TD he threw to Gallup was on time under pressure - pure perfection, perhaps that was his QB memory kicking in like it did in his first pre-season game vs the Seahawks in 2016, I sure hope he keeps going,
May I add, our offense looks like it is on par with the style of a Tom Landry/Bill Belichick style offense,

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
few reasons. the route combinations have been so much better, allowing him to pick the best match up. he is showing confidence in his recievers expecting them to get open as a result. the more down field attacks opening up the 9 passing zones. Unlike Moore, we are using more motion. less predictable and use the whole field as opposed to running WRs into the same area trying, attempting to confuse the defense. and as you play better. you trust yourself and your teammates more and it just gets better. also his footwork is heck of a lot better than last year and also more willingness to take off when the play is not there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s the offensive scheme. It takes advantage of what he’s good at.
exactly. Moore came from Garrett school of thought. design plays and players just execute as opposed to using players strength and designing plays to take advantage of those

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard all off-season how they spent a lot of time concentrating on his footwork. Could that be the answer?
That certain is part of it! He's delivery passes with way more confidence and.... catchableness? Especially going deep. He's always had decent arm...good footwork and base has to help.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
ALL JG stink is now gone, Romo literally took a shot at it on the Thanksgiving broadcast..basically saying "Its nice to get play shcemed and not just line up and beat your man"... Romo knows all JG's skeletons im sure.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This won't go over well with a certain crowd............... I agree with you, though.
So compared to other QB's playing those same teams and not doing as well... that doesnt matter right? you are who i speak of when i talk about an ilogical emotional investment in a take to the point you cant find facts in a statement.."I dont care what the facts say its not what i want to be said so its false".. you dont have to like him to admit he is playing great football right now... its silly to keep this going unless you know he actually plays a bad game..THEN be like see there is the guy i was talking about...

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I think Big Mike has been good for Dak in the sense he knows how to develop a QBs skillset. I think Mike was trying different things with Dak early on in the year as they were feeling it out. It feels like Dak has an excellent understanding of Mikes PB and what he’s trying to do which makes this relationship fluid between them, and you’re seeing it play out in the field in Daks play.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
So compared to other QB's playing those same teams and not doing as well... that doesnt matter right? you are who i speak of when i talk about an ilogical emotional investment in a take to the point you cant find facts in a statement.."I dont care what the facts say its not what i want to be said so its false".. you dont have to like him to admit he is playing great football right now... its silly to keep this going unless you know he actually plays a bad game..THEN be like see there is the guy i was talking about...
We'll see how things go the last 5 weeks. The only cream puff they have left will be the wildcard game.

If they go one and done again will it matter how he's playing right now? No, it won't.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We'll see how things go the last 5 weeks. The only cream puff they have left will be the wildcard game.

If they go one and done again will it matter how he's playing right now? No, it won't.
but that is not what this thread is about, again saying "He is playing great, lets see if it can carry into the playoffs" is much diferent than saying "Meh he only looks good because the teams they are playing" when in fact other QB's who have played those teams have not done anything like what he has done..its factual to say "Man Dak is playing great, he needs to do this in a playoff run" no one would say a word to that.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Dak has never been a good QB. In his best days he was lower tier medicore.

MM layed his plan to rest to use him like a normal NFL QB. We are back to dumb-down-Dak offense: Have a playcall that has only 1 receiver that will get the ball. Dak has to read one and only one defense player and decide on his reaction. Either throw the ball or keep it an run.

Against bad defenses the OC is able to script those kind of plays and so is able to beat opposing defenses. When the competition gets stiffer this is not possible anymore and the QB has to do things on his own. And at this point things get ugly very fast.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Dak has never been a good QB. In his best days he was lower tier medicore.
Yes, but his fan club is trying to convince everyone he's all world now because of the turds he has beaten up the past month. This happens every year too.

I want him to do well through the rest of the season - I want a championship. But unfortunately for Dak, there aren't any more turds left on the schedule. Let's see if he has really turned a corner or if it's just a repeat of every season since 2016.