Twitter: What is Jaylon Smith doing on this play?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Bad teams always have players with high tackle numbers, simply because they’re getting whooped up & down the field more often than good defenses who spend less time on the field..

Inflation in the numbers is a different point than saying Jaylon sucks, should be waived and wouldn't be claimed by another team if he was waived.

If you cut Jaylon's numbers in half you have the numbers of an average starter, not the practice squad player posters here have dreamed up as his profile.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yes, Jaylon has made some dumb decisions and takes bad angles at times. But to me, the bigger issue is that you have DT, DE and other LB's missing tackles at at extremely high rate. Maybe part of Jaylon's tackle totals that are "15 yards downfield" is because he is cleaning up other people's messes.

Its like of like the posts saying "DLaw got lazy and quit playing after his payday". Where did all those posts go?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Bad teams always have players with high tackle numbers, simply because they’re getting whooped up & down the field more often than good defenses who spend less time on the field.

It’s not a hard concept to understand. Granted, Jaylon has made his fair share of plays, but for the most part his lateral movement & angle taking have been atrocious. I feel like there could be a way to use him much more effectively, but we haven’t found a way to do that consistently.

By the way, your argument is Time of Possession and Dallas averages 28:07 time of possession this year. Do Jaylon's tackle numbers double in that minute and 53 seconds?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Inflation in the numbers is a different point than saying Jaylon sucks, should be waived and wouldn't be claimed by another team if he was waived.

If you cut Jaylon's numbers in half you have the numbers of an average starter, not the practice squad player posters here have dreamed up as his profile.

Once again, you can’t help yourself with this asinine take.

Tackles totals are a meaningless statistic without context. Cutting tackle totals in half doesn’t mean you get an “average starter,” lulz.

The same WeHo Community College dropout thinking that reasons tackle totals are an indicator of ability would argue Jameis Winston was the league’s best passer because he threw for more passing yards (another meaningless stat without context) than anyone last year.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ok.....I'll just stick with leadership label.
GettyImages-1290194112.jpg

Your posts are stupid and I know exactly why you're defending Smith the way you are, same reason the dude liking your low effort posts are.

Take it to another board or stop being a coward and come out and say it.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Cowboys players that seem to avoid contact:

Trystan Hill - missed tackle rate 35.4%
Sean Lee - missed tackle rate 30%
Aldon Smith - 21.7%
LVE - 17.4%
Tyron Crawford - 16.7%
DLaw - 15.1%
Joe Thomas - 10.4%
Diggs - 9.4%
X Woods - 8.2%
Gregory - 7.1%
D. Wilson - 7%
Armstrong - 6.9%
Lewis - 6.4%
Gallimore - 5.6%
Jaylon - 5.4%

Yes, Jaylon has made some dumb decisions and takes bad angles at times. But to me, the bigger issue is that you have DT, DE and other LB's missing tackles at at extremely high rate. Maybe part of Jaylon's tackle totals that are "15 yards downfield" is because he is cleaning up other people's messes.

Lame stats. Say nothing. Give me if these are one on one or assisted tackles. Provide context next time.

Smith's entire problem is hesitation when he is one on one. I also dislike "missed tackles" because the argument here isn't if he can tackle when another player is dragging someone to the ground and he joins in, he is often in a position where he takes himself of a tackle attempt entirely because he simply bites on fakes or doesn't recognize a play. We all know he has speed to get from one side of the field to the other quickly, so yeah, he's around the ball. Not the issue.

Cmac

Reaction score
Your posts are stupid and I know exactly why you're defending Smith the way you are, same reason the dude liking your low effort posts are.

Take it to another board or stop being a coward and come out and say it.
We resorting to keyboard courage now?......I'm posting like you, but don't get bent out of shape like you seem, if it is not agreed upon. I will keep posting, believe that. Other than that, all good.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I knew what play this thread was about before I even opened it. I said "What the **** was that??" when it happened...

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Lame stats. Say nothing. Give me if these are one on one or assisted tackles. Provide context next time.

Smith's entire problem is hesitation when he is one on one. I also dislike "missed tackles" because the argument here isn't if he can tackle when another player is dragging someone to the ground and he joins in, he is often in a position where he takes himself of a tackle attempt entirely because he simply bites on fakes or doesn't recognize a play. We all know he has speed to get from one side of the field to the other quickly, so yeah, he's around the ball. Not the issue.
He leads the team in solo tackles by 25 more than the 2nd place tackler. he has 69 solos and xavier woods is next with 44. He leads in assisted tackles as well by 28 more than the next guy. He has 54, LVE has 26. Nowhere did I say Jaylon is having an all-pro season. He has obviously made some head scratching plays, but this narrative that he avoids contact is stupid.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He leads the team in solo tackles by 25 more than the 2nd place tackler. he has 69 solos and xavier woods is next with 44. He leads in assisted tackles as well by 28 more than the next guy. He has 54, LVE has 26. Nowhere did I say Jaylon is having an all-pro season. He has obviously made some head scratching plays, but this narrative that he avoids contact is stupid.

He's a LB, he should lead the team in tackles.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
He's a LB, he should lead the team in tackles.
You asked for solo tackles and assisted tackles. I gave those numbers to you. He leads the team in both by a large margin, yet you blow it off and say because he's a LB he should lead.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Man, we've witnessed some bufoonery from the linebacker position this year, but this might take the cake. This play exemplifies the lack of confidence both Jaylon and LVE have displayed this season. Both play with a total lack of instincts and are constantly on skates.

Hell, what is he doing in a Cowboy uniform?????????????? The dude is a total embarrassment and should be cut or released from this team. What a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
All-pro season??? Tf are you smoking??

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You asked for solo tackles and assisted tackles. I gave those numbers to you. He leads the team in both by a large margin, yet you blow it off and say because he's a LB he should lead.

Yes, which still tells me nothing. His comparison to DE's and corners aren't anything, again, he's a LB and will have higher amount of solo tackles compared to the others. Who the hell else is going to lead? A Corner? DT? Again, LBs will rack up tackles. It means literally nothing. His comparison needs to be to other LBs around the league, not to those of separate freakin' positions. It's stupid.

bigE79

Reaction score
He's doing what he normally does...this is not a shocker...bum.