CFZ What is the plan for the rest of the season?

Blackrain

Reaction score
The plan is prepare yourself to go out in the first round of the playoffs and be pleasantly surprised if anything better than that happens.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I'm not hoping, I know they will. Its going to come down to can Dak keep the Cowboys in the game. And we all know how that turns out. Hahahaha
No you don't know. You're just a Dak hating fan who hopes Dak will choke so you can say "I told you so!" We have a lot of so-called fans here who think like that. Hahahaha :facepalm:

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Well, the trade deadline has come and gone. This is the team that we have for the rest of the season. Sure, there might be a few FA pickups or something on PS, but any major changes would've been done by now. Therefore, i think it begs the question. What is the plan for the rest of the season?

I think our defence is probably fine, other than the Lb depth. I would've liked maybe a tweak there, but I think LVE probably due to return as early as next week as it'd be 4 weeks. As for offense, I think oline and RB would have been good options. I also would've been happy with Davante Adams. However, I also understand that the FO probably wanted to retain draft picks this year.

I think the front line of the team looks great. Dak is creating a nice rapport for the season with Lamb and Cooks. I like how Tolbert is getting involved more. The only concern I still really have with this team is RB and oline depth. I think, as long as the team stays relatively healthy, that there's no reason we can't contend for the top seed. However, I'd have liked a few more resources to make sure we can. Especially since the team seems to be developing nicely the last couple of games. I love that Dak is using his legs more. I'm delighted at how well we play at home. I just worry, with the way this roster is constructed, what happens if we have to play more than one playoff game on the road. If we can get at least a home playoff game or two, we have a chance to do something special. However, going from a wild card spot, we will probably get eliminated in the playoffs.

I think it's critical, with the way this team is constructed ATM, that the Cowboys must win the division (and ideally the top seed) if we are to have a chance to be special. I think that, if we can win the division, we should at least be a 2nd seed. That should get us two home games in January. I trust the team at home this year. I just don't want this team having to go cross country in the playoffs again. I think, with the way the squad is constructed ATM, the season will have the same predictable end if we have to play on the road, especially going cross country. That is, unless there is a plan for the rest of the season that the FO and coaches have.
Win at home and win in your division. 3-5 games are against NFC East teams. So, win.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the plan is the same as the usual. Stay relevant, in the news cycle. Sell sell sell that hopuim and merch. Win a playoff game, then get ground and pounded in the 2nd rd...wait for the draft, start all over again.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Well, the trade deadline has come and gone. This is the team that we have for the rest of the season. Sure, there might be a few FA pickups or something on PS, but any major changes would've been done by now. Therefore, i think it begs the question. What is the plan for the rest of the season?

I think our defence is probably fine, other than the Lb depth. I would've liked maybe a tweak there, but I think LVE probably due to return as early as next week as it'd be 4 weeks. As for offense, I think oline and RB would have been good options. I also would've been happy with Davante Adams. However, I also understand that the FO probably wanted to retain draft picks this year.

I think the front line of the team looks great. Dak is creating a nice rapport for the season with Lamb and Cooks. I like how Tolbert is getting involved more. The only concern I still really have with this team is RB and oline depth. I think, as long as the team stays relatively healthy, that there's no reason we can't contend for the top seed. However, I'd have liked a few more resources to make sure we can. Especially since the team seems to be developing nicely the last couple of games. I love that Dak is using his legs more. I'm delighted at how well we play at home. I just worry, with the way this roster is constructed, what happens if we have to play more than one playoff game on the road. If we can get at least a home playoff game or two, we have a chance to do something special. However, going from a wild card spot, we will probably get eliminated in the playoffs.

I think it's critical, with the way this team is constructed ATM, that the Cowboys must win the division (and ideally the top seed) if we are to have a chance to be special. I think that, if we can win the division, we should at least be a 2nd seed. That should get us two home games in January. I trust the team at home this year. I just don't want this team having to go cross country in the playoffs again. I think, with the way the squad is constructed ATM, the season will have the same predictable end if we have to play on the road, especially going cross country. That is, unless there is a plan for the rest of the season that the FO and coaches have.

Me going to Cabo during playoff time. I hope to meet some of our guys there.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny-American-Football-Pictures-with-Captions-2014-9.jpg

CCBoy

Reaction score
Nobody cares about that star anymore. The rivalries are gone and the only thing that matters is money to these players. There is no more loyalty to teams.
Naw, that's the non-pride that attitude has gone out of it's own way to instead of a sport, inserts a hero worship now backed by gambling games.

Hey, you end up with what you water or go like a heat seeking missile for. Just go ahead and tube launch a Shillelagh missile from a Sheridan and take it out...

either that or start watering the team with some real respect through respect. This fan has tried since the off season to water the roots of being a fan.

You chose your own direction, but bias and prejudice never watered any thing but bias. That or just go with all currently winning teams. I thought in America, one stood up for right...

Reaction score
The only plan is to hope that the formula the FO has been using for the past 25+ years will 'finally work'

The Cowboys plan is obvious .. they hope the other good teams start losing or they suffer injuries that take them out of play or the Cowboys figure out how to beat teams in the playoffs for the first time in decades.
Our guys are predictable, the complacency that comes with having a combined owner/GM of the wealthiest franchise in sports is tough on the fans. The contending GMs who's jobs are on the line are busy turning over every rock and bolstering their rosters for the final stretch, but you won't find that kind of energy around here.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our guys are predictable, the complacency that comes with having a combined owner/GM of the wealthiest franchise in sports is tough on the fans. The contending GMs who's jobs are on the line are busy turning over every rock and bolstering their rosters for the final stretch, but you won't find that kind of energy around here.
Yeah, when your GM's priority is to make money, not keep their job, it's pretty easy to see why the team likes their guys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yeah, when your GM's priority is to make money, not keep their job, it's pretty easy to see why the team likes their guys.
Well, this is America...if protesting a team's function, then walk the walk. Or really support the team winning at home for 11 straight games. Hey, blame that mirage on Jerry.

If that is what happens, don't make it a forum rule to call it what it is, a protest, and remove rights to say the truth. I'm not even protesting...just being a fan instead.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, this is America...if protesting a team's function, then walk the walk. Or really support the team winning at home for 11 straight games. Hey, blame that mirage on Jerry.

If that is what happens, don't make it a forum rule to call it what it is, a protest, and remove rights to say the truth. I'm not even protesting...just being a fan instead.
I realize you are defending the team, but the NFL GM's (General Manager's) job is not to make money, but to put together a winning team.

That's why the Cowboys are flawed because the GM is more focused on making money becuase the GM is also the owner.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A lot of corporations that were family purchased just remain that way. Industry function is not so complex that it can't fully become competitive and functional on a base level. Want hero worship, stick to players then...or return to supporting them.

Let me dumb this down for board function: don't read what isn't worth reading!

Mark

Reaction score
Far be it from me to defend some of Jerry's decisions over the years. But, can someone here calling him out tell me exactly what actions/decisions of his have directly caused the Cowboys to be less than 7-0 thus far THIS season?

Aside from a questionable 2nd round draft pick (eh... EVERYBODY makes bad ones), I think the argument can be made that he's had a pretty good year in terms of personnel moves.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The two successful GM's/Owners were in Oakland and in Dallas.

Money is not the cause or effect of management. Most Head Coaches try to have GM ability, not for money, but for prestige and being able to direct their own player acquisitions.

In reality, that still boils down to guidance, which here in Dallas is directed by the current coaching staff and acquisitions are first researched and quite accurately by the Scouting staff.

That is still a group project and in Dallas, a team that is very good at player talent and building a team.

What has been described as the need by a different GM, is signing off as valid for specifics that expand in Dallas, to cap control and monitoring continual stability in team cash flows.

Stephen has been working with his staff to fully stay on top of getting players that coaches want and paying for them in a team setting.

That is a good team function and the pair of Jerry and Stephen are pretty good as well as show a present strengthening of the current roster. The players are now good and starting to stay around during peak periods of their respective careers.

Team results are now falling upon the shoulders of Coaches and Scouts. Oh, that is fully functional in the now.

The functional element is the leadership and controlled by the Head Coach and his staff along with the Scouting Department.

That isn't just a repeated process. Statistical analysis and staff to review film have been expanded exponentially and are really top class and fully in support. The 'franchise' has become currently good and the football is still intensely desired by the Jones Family.

They love the team and not just money. The Jones do not need expansion for purposes of money. They were set as a franchise financially a decade ago. They now make changes around their own core love of the Cowboys as well as the sport itself.

Just how many GM's are walking around that built a top shelf winner that first didn't 'luck' into a top shelf Head Coach?

Jerry is blessed with not having to do job interviews and team direction and standards on a mold of Head Coach period to prove their value. A success measurement period of time. Proven GM's these days come at the near end of their respective careers and within a low end number of years have to be changed if a Lombardi winning coach is not at the helm.