CFZ What is the plan for the rest of the season?

fivetwos

Reaction score
It shouldn't be tough after the awesome game that they just played against the Rams.
Again Im not trying to disagree with you, but I’ve seen that great middle part of the movie before.

I truly waffle on this, as I really do want to enjoy the ride. It took me a while of Jerry and his deal to get me to accept that, and it’s iffy as far as it taking.

But, until he gets it right…as in once (and don’t insult me with the Johnson years counting because we all know the difference)….it’s gonna be this way.

I’ll agree to disagree forever, but would rather dance in the aisles with you, metaphorically of course lol. Maybe that happens someday!

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Jerry is gonna pull up his sagging Depends and deliver a stirring locker room speech to the team. Just win, baby. Win em all for my stuck zipper.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Coming off another neck injury, there’s no guarantees LVE returns this season. We still have 9 games to go and no one knows how the rest of the season will play out. Injuries can happen at any time. The Cowboys just need to try and continue to improve as the season progresses and hope they can be playing their best football by December and January.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Well, the trade deadline has come and gone. This is the team that we have for the rest of the season. Sure, there might be a few FA pickups or something on PS, but any major changes would've been done by now. Therefore, i think it begs the question. What is the plan for the rest of the season?

I think our defence is probably fine, other than the Lb depth. I would've liked maybe a tweak there, but I think LVE probably due to return as early as next week as it'd be 4 weeks. As for offense, I think oline and RB would have been good options. I also would've been happy with Davante Adams. However, I also understand that the FO probably wanted to retain draft picks this year.

I think the front line of the team looks great. Dak is creating a nice rapport for the season with Lamb and Cooks. I like how Tolbert is getting involved more. The only concern I still really have with this team is RB and oline depth. I think, as long as the team stays relatively healthy, that there's no reason we can't contend for the top seed. However, I'd have liked a few more resources to make sure we can. Especially since the team seems to be developing nicely the last couple of games. I love that Dak is using his legs more. I'm delighted at how well we play at home. I just worry, with the way this roster is constructed, what happens if we have to play more than one playoff game on the road. If we can get at least a home playoff game or two, we have a chance to do something special. However, going from a wild card spot, we will probably get eliminated in the playoffs.

I think it's critical, with the way this team is constructed ATM, that the Cowboys must win the division (and ideally the top seed) if we are to have a chance to be special. I think that, if we can win the division, we should at least be a 2nd seed. That should get us two home games in January. I trust the team at home this year. I just don't want this team having to go cross country in the playoffs again. I think, with the way the squad is constructed ATM, the season will have the same predictable end if we have to play on the road, especially going cross country. That is, unless there is a plan for the rest of the season that the FO and coaches have.
What is the plan?

Whatever it takes to win.

Go at least .500 against the best teams and do your best to sweep the rest.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not from my pov. I'm just curious what the plan is.
What plan for what? So you can feel certain we are going to win a Lombardi?

We are running a new offense. There is every reason that the execution will improve. The defense and special teams have been outstanding. We are an extremely young team.

I don't know exactly what MM and co are going to do but the building blocks are obvious.

calico

Reaction score
We all know where this is headed; the same place as the last 27 seasons. Then the offseason will go the same as they always have and next year will be the same as always.

That is the loop in the matrix for the cowboys.

quickccc

Reaction score
I do NOT at all disagree with that and as I said, I try. Id much rather have a positive tone.

It’s just tough sometimes.

I don’t care that they didn’t make any deadline moves, but I also hate hearing arrogantly they they aren’t trying.

As I’ve said many a time, I don’t need Jerry to quit, but it would certainly be nice if he would just shut up. This is all about being a celebrity for him, and the rest of us suffer for it, you included. I take issue with that because regardless of what ego boy thinks, the Dallas Cowboys are bigger than him.
I think many think and love that splash trade date is just an exciting moment of the year
- but i really ...really feel that if we had the right, legit coaches on the offensive side of the ball, we could
do without the anxiety of big splashy names.

Despite the blowout loss to Niners, management does not seem the need for a big splash name trade.
They've done their work in offseason with Gilmore and Cooks. And during last year trade add of Hankins.

Only when the critics started barking about the dink n dunk conservative offense
- lack of creativity with the RBs (both run & pass)
- suspect coaching with the OL , red zone issues,
- and the non- involvement of Brandin Cooks, ..and out-cry of Lamb, ..the coaches never thought twice about
significantly improving the offense (did the Jones' have a " private " meeting with McCarthy & Co. ?? )

We're still uncloudy in these areas.
while the Chargers, Rams big win games " temporarily " has kept the critics at bay ..for now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What plan for what? So you can feel certain we are going to win a Lombardi?

We are running a new offense. There is every reason that the execution will improve. The defense and special teams have been outstanding. We are an extremely young team.

I don't know exactly what MM and co are going to do but the building blocks are obvious.

I'm hoping that it'll put us in Vegas.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
The plan is to bottom feed, give false hope, and make an early playoff exit. Rinse and repeat as needed.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
If we are able to get home playoff games, we have a shot. At least until we get to the SB. Unfortunately, if we get there, I doubt we can matchup with the likes of KC, Baltimore, and Miami. Maybe we can match Cincy.
KC just got handled by Denver. Miami lost by 28 to the Bills. Baltimore is inconsistent.

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
I keep going back to 2010. The absolute masterpiece of a coaching job Mac pulled off that year in Green Bay. If memory serves I believe they set some kind of a record that year for most games missed due to injury in a season for a Super Bowl winning team. ALWAYS having to cobble together a running game, O line, ect ect. Yet they found a way.
A Rod was young then,....so NO, it wasnt all due to him. Furthermore if it was ALL A rod then why wasnt Lefleur ever able to win a championship with more talented teams then the one in 2010? MM is a MUCH better coach than a lot of people like to admit and has the skins on the wall to prove it. My bet is that the offense gets better and better as the season moves forward as the team becomes more comfortable with the new offense. We will be a better team at the end of the season then we are right now,...running game included. Just watch. We are one of 4 teams capable of representing the NFC in the Super Bowl this season and at this point thats about all you can hope for. We have a chance,....a GOOD chance. Hang in there and stay the course. THAT is the plan!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I keep going back to 2010. The absolute masterpiece of a coaching job Mac pulled off that year in Green Bay. If memory serves I believe they set some kind of a record that year for most games missed due to injury in a season for a Super Bowl winning team. ALWAYS having to cobble together a running game, O line, ect ect. Yet they found a way.
A Rod was young then,....so NO, it wasnt all due to him. Furthermore if it was ALL A rod then why wasnt Lefleur ever able to win a championship with more talented teams then the one in 2010? MM is a MUCH better coach than a lot of people like to admit and has the skins on the wall to prove it. My bet is that the offense gets better and better as the season moves forward as the team becomes more comfortable with the new offense. We will be a better team at the end of the season then we are right now,...running game included. Just watch. We are one of 4 teams capable of representing the NFC in the Super Bowl this season and at this point thats about all you can hope for. We have a chance,....a GOOD chance. Hang in there and stay the course. THAT is the plan!

I can definitely see that coming to fruition. I trust McCarthy with this. The offense has looked better starting with the Chargers game. If the offense can become a bit more consistent, then this team has a chance of becoming really special. Also, much like McCarthy in Green Bay, we've become dominant at home. That's important.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
In the game against the Rams it looked to my eye like mac pulled out the old BIG 5 formation he used to run quite a bit back in 07/08 when he still had Favre. We knocked farve out of the game in 07 on a corner blitz and A rod damn near came all the way back to beat us using that formation. "The T.O popcorn game". Only difference is instead of 5 wides we went 4 wides and Ferguson against the Rams. Notice the good day Ferg had? Change is coming,....our offense is evolving. The best is yet to come....

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
In my 50 years of football addiction :p the one statement that is the truest of them all is this....." More games are lost then they are won" Limit penalties and turnovers. That right there is the biggest thing a team can do if they want to win football games. By the numbers,.....job ONE. You cant win playing dumb football,....nobody can no matter how talented you are. And if you do manage to pull it off its a fluke. If you produce 400 yards of offense in a game you BETTER have at least 28 "offensive" points up on the board to show for it. If not you are screwing up....bigtime, and under performing your yards. 100 yards of offense should always produce 7 points. The Cowboys need to clean that up a bit. FOCUS should be a big part of the plan going forward and I am sure it is as it cant not be...LOL