What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
That's funny. You think Jerry had a plan making that trade.

Short answer: there was no plan and all they saw was a shiny new #3 overall pick available. It never made sense strategically. He wasn't going to supplant Rush as your backup this year, and you basically have to resign Dak to a new contract this offseason or absorb a $59.45 million dollar cap hit next season. All of those things put together make this a completely incoherent move in my opinion. I just don't know how Dallas will even possibly be able to evaluate him given the timeline and situation.

The only way this signing made any sense at all is if Jerry thought there was a real chance they were going to blow this thing up entirely next year and start from scratch and quite frankly, this team was never going to be bad enough to trigger that kind of response.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
I think we have to wait and see what happens at the end of this season. If the Cowboys are in a position where winning does not improve their playoff position we may be Lance start the last game against
Washington with Dak the inactive 3rd QB.

I doubt the Cowboys will let Rush go without seeing Lance play some. Maybe in preseason next year. If he plays well then, he could be trade bait.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was there any plan when signing this kid
The Cowboys traded for him. He wasn't a FA they could sign. He is a developmental QB. This year is about learning. Next summer we will see how he looks and plays. Until then, we wait. The Cowboys knew when they traded for him he wasn't going to play this year unless Dak and Rush both went down.

He is still on his rookie deal so he won't need to be re-signed this off season. Since they already used a 4th round pick to get him, it's unlikely the Cowboys draft another QB next April. It's hard to see 2 draft picks dedicated to developmental type QB's.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
My guess is that they want him to be the back up next year and beyond. He is more like Dak than Rush is athletically and arm strength so the O doesn't have to change much if he goes in. My guess is after one year or so they try to trade him for something higher than a 4th if he can show in the PS that he is developing. Bill used to do that with his QBs all the time, draft them, develop them, trade them.. of course he had Tom Brady for what seemed like most of my life so that helps.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Let me make a call and if Jerry is not busy I'll get back to you with an answer.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
All the people who mock other posters...reach some pretty dumb and incoherent conclusions:

Like, "how dare Jerry spend a 4th rounder on Trey Lance? There obviously was no plan...".

Meanwhile, after 5 games...a poll was done on this board and +90^% said they were NOT happy with Dak as QB1. So...THAT is why they spent a 4th on Dak.

Right NOW he is "playing his best ball ever", but there's also been times when he has straight up STUNK when you needed him most.

Good enough reason for any GM to spend a 4th rounder when you're potentially stuck in QB hell being forced to sign a guy who most of the fanbase was not happy with. It's a hedge.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys traded for him. He wasn't a FA they could sign. He is a developmental QB. This year is about learning. Next summer we will see how he looks and plays. Until then, we wait. The Cowboys knew when they traded for him he wasn't going to play this year unless Dak and Rush both went down.

He is still on his rookie deal so he won't need to be re-signed this off season. Since they already used a 4th round pick to get him, it's unlikely the Cowboys draft another QB next April. It's hard to see 2 draft picks dedicated to developmental type QB's.
Summed up perfectly. Thread closed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Lance was a Dak insurance policy that Dak is making look like a ridiculous investment right now, but at the time I think made a ton of sense. It's anyones guess right now what they do with Lance as we really don't have any eyes on him from practice. The sneaky good value in Lance is that although he isn't on par with the top QBs in the league he does have similar traits to a guy like Jalen Hurts and is probably the best bet to run scout team on Eagles weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about the 4th round pick either. To be honest if Lance get in a game next year and shows any evidence that he could be a starter in this league the Cowboys may very well end up getting a 3rd or 4th round comp pick back for him once they let him walk. If he doesn't show to be a starter in this league then you probably have a toolsy backup QB who can hopefully improve over time. Then you have the very unlikly scenario of this team falls in love with Lance this year and trades Dak this offseason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's funny. You think Jerry had a plan making that trade.

Short answer: there was no plan and all they saw was a shiny new #3 overall pick available. It never made sense strategically. He wasn't going to supplant Rush as your backup this year, you are forced to make a decision on him this offseason, and you basically have to resign Dak to a new contract this offseason or absorb a $59.45 million dollar cap hit next season. All of those things put together make this a completely incoherent move in my opinion.

The only way this signing made any sense at all is if Jerry thought there was a real chance they were going to blow this thing up entirely next year and start from scratch and quite frankly, this team was never going to be bad enough to trigger that kind of response.
Why didn't it make sense? The Cowboys had a 2nd round grade on him and used a late 4th to get him. He is still on his rookie deal so there is plenty of time to see if the light comes on for him or not. The plan is to wait and see what happens. Simple as that.

The Cowboys are going to extend Dak, we already know that will likely happen. He is 7 years older than Lance. If a few years if Dak gets hurt or retired Lance could step in. Maybe he will improve to the point of taking over for Dak.

Your second paragraph confuses me. Jerry doesn't believe in blowing up the roster. He thinks we are a contender, so why even consider that notion?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Well, they did not really trade did they? I forgot what the 49'ers got for his release?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
All the people who mock other posters...reach some pretty dumb and incoherent conclusions:

Like, "how dare Jerry spend a 4th rounder on Trey Lance? There obviously was no plan...".

Meanwhile, after 5 games...a poll was done on this board and +90^% said they were NOT happy with Dak as QB1. So...THAT is why they spent a 4th on Dak.

Right NOW he is "playing his best ball ever", but there's also been times when he has straight up STUNK when you needed him most.

Good enough reason for any GM to spend a 4th rounder when you're potentially stuck in QB hell being forced to sign a guy who most of the fanbase was not happy with. It's a hedge.
Good points. The QB situation now was a lot more up in the air than going into this season than it is now. I can't imagine the Cowboys moving on from Dak given what we've seen from him the last couple of months, but going into the season the majority of fans had Dak labeled as a middle of the road QB.